Noob Indie Filmmaker making some life-critical decisions now

Hey all! I'm new to the site. Turned 21 years old last April.
Basically, I knew I wanted to dedicate the rest of my life to film when I was fourteen and I watched "Taxi Driver" for the first time. After that, I was obsessed..... A buddy told me to watch "Vertigo" and it swept me away. I saw "Star Wars", "Shawshank Redemption", and "Back to the Future" the following year. I bought a Super8 video camera at 15, but it was actually stolen from me at school.

I graduated high school in 07 and went to Toledo University for two years. I was meant to study film, but I didn't learn a thing aside from one great teacher I had who taught me about film theory. I dropped out the second semester of my sophomore year at age 20 so I could work for a year and study film on my own.

Since then I've watched thousands of classics, and some of the worst movies ever made. I studied everything about them. The lighting, cinematography, the script, editing, acting. Some of my favorite films include 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, The Red Shoes, The Conformist, La Strada, Synecdoche, New York, Ikiru, Band of Outsiders, Apocalypse Now, and Man with the Movie Camera.

Let me also throw in here that acting always interested me as well, I just don't have much training aside from a few college classes, writing a play for my class to perform in front of high schoolers in English class in college and being the lead, Being "Jesus" for my church when I was fourteen, and acting in a few high school plays.

I attended Dov S-S Simens "Two Day Film School" in Chicago last year from money that I had saved up, and he taught me a plethora of information. The only thing he didn't teach us was how to get investors, especially at the tender age of twenty-one years old.

After that, I purchased any book on screenwriting I could get my hand on. Mckee's "Story", The Screenwriting Bible, Save the Cat, The Syd Field books, and many others.... you get the idea.

I also made myself a promise that I would read a new screenplay, good or bad, every single day.

Recently, I took the cash I had saved up and bought an 27' IMAC and a Panasonic dvx100b video camera. I intend on teaching myself "Final Cut Pro", and I'm also getting very familiar with "Final Draft 8" because of the free trial.

I've lived in a small town in Ohio most of my life, and there isn't any jobs left here. My parents wanted me to be a lawyer or doctor, but I ignored them and I'm chasing my dream instead.

I honestly don't have the cash to go to film school, or a college like USC or UCLA. Nor do I think it would be completely necessary....

The dilemma I'm in right now is the fact that I'm 21, and I'm not getting any younger.... I'm stuck in this small town with all my friends gone or off at college, and all the jobs in Ohio are in the big cities. I don't know what decision to make, and no one around me could offer any type of guidance. I've been thinking about what to do for a year now....

Do I A). Join the military and try to get a job in film, save up money, and then afterwards make my first low-budget feature at 25-26ish?
B.) Try to get a job as a PA in Michigan, California, or New York and work my way up from the bottom in the next 4-5 years.
C.) Look for a mentor or an internship that will either pay nothing or very little so I can gain some valuable experience.
D.) Spend the next two years of my life working as a bartender, make short films and write screenplays on the side hoping that I sell one (It could take three months, one year, ten years, twenty years, thirty years, or it could never happen with selling a screenplay, you just never know....)
E.) Go back to a community college and finish up my associates and try to get my free ride scholarship back (it's only for schools in ohio.) Then either attend Ohio U, Cincinnati, or Bowling Green (Not going to happen), and finish up a degree. (I realize degrees are very helpful in many fields, but a guy who's worked in the industry 30 years told me degrees don't mean anything to filmmaking, it's all about experience and talent....)

I currently have about $3,000 left saved up, and I'm contemplating going to Mckee's "Story" seminar in New York on October 14, 15, 16, and 17th and staying with my buddy who recently moved down there. It would probably cost $1000 all together to do that....

My main thing is that I feel I have to relocate and leave my moms house (I've been here a year and I can't take it anymore).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nino

I'm coming into this one a little late so I haven't read all of the posts, but enough that I have a really good idea of what's going on.

You have been getting all of the varied opinions of varied people with varied life experiences. You're probably just as confused, if not more, than when you asked the question.

My own half a century plus of life experiences have taught me a few things.

1. There is a huge difference between "book larnin' " and real world experience. You don't know a damned thing until you actually get your hands dirty.

2. The time to take risks is when you are young and don't have any major responsibilities.

3. It's okay to be crazy, but don't be stupid.

4. Never compromise on your personal values; maintain your personal integrity and honor. "Honor is a mans gift to himself."

5. Always get it in writing. "Everyone is a liar, a thief and a cheat except for you and me; and sometimes I'm not so sure about you."

6. Stay away from the booze, the drugs and the bimbos.

7. Work hard.

8. Work hard.

9. Work hard.

10. Work hard.

I get butter flies in my stomach when I take my camera out at the park! What if someone sees me, they'll think I'm pretentious.. or what ever.. its a lot safer to just read this board and plan to make movies..

Interesting. I wonder if this is more because of where you are, and how people are out there, or if it's more just kinda something in your head. Of course I don't know, but I suspect the latter. In my experiences, everyone from friends to bystanders are excited and curious to know that I'm making a movie. Bystanders always wanna watch. You should've seen the looks on peoples faces, when we shot our climactic finale (fight-scene), guerrila-style, in the middle of a median, on a busy street, during rush-hour traffic. I'm quite confident nobody thought we were pretentious.

I'd be willing to bet that your perception, in this respect, will change greatly, when you get out and start doing it. People love this kind of stuff.

Its the embarrassment factor.

I'm just taking the steps I need to so I can create the BEST possible short film I can.

I believe that both those things (and others) is what makes people
NOT make a movie. There are many reasons (many of them good) to
NOT make a movie. It’s much harder to find reasons to make a
movie.

I’m glad that I never felt I had to create the BEST possible short
film I could when I was starting out. I know me, too well. I know
I would have waited and studied and read and talked to people for
(maybe) years. Instead I just grabbed a camera (my dad’s old
regular 8mm) three willing friends and made a film.

It was crap. So I made the next one. It was crap. My friends got
discouraged but I was hooked. I actually loved making the
mistakes. But that’s they way I learn. So I found new friends and
pretty soon I was making pretty good movies. After about 10 or so
I was ready to make the BEST possible short film I could.

I did and it won several awards.

I’m glad I didn’t wait to make that film but was making films as I
was learning.

As the old idiom says, “Different strokes.”

directorik, I finally now get all of your advice.
I was reading Robert Rodriguez's "Rebel Without A Crew" when I realized that now is the time for me to make movies. Enough of the reading a different book every few days on filmmaking.
Next week i'm shooting my first short film. I'm going to edit it, be the DP, and do everything myself basically.

I also realize that it's not the time to be confused and ask everyone else what path they took to be a filmmaker. Every filmmaker has made their own decisions and carved their own path to success or failure, and I have to do the same as well.

I have the heart, the creative drive, and the talent. But i'm not technical, and I've yet to make anything. That will change NOW.

I appreciate your help guys and I'll update you with everything I make....

- d

I talked to my neo-realist actors (friends) and saturday will be the shoot.
I decided to shoot guerilla style to save some cash since it's too pricey for me.

This means I'll only use 5-7 takes for each scene.

I have the heart, the creative drive, and the talent. But i'm not technical, and I've yet to make anything. That will change NOW.

I wasn't technical either when I first started.

Using standard 8mm you are actually shooting 16mm film.
The camera used a 25ft roll - you would run it through the
camera and it would expose only 8mm's of the film stock.
So you would finish the 25ft, turn the roll over and shoot
the other 25ft. The lab would process it, split it and splice it.
So you would have 50ft of film to run through the projector.

My first roll I didn't lead the film correctly so the image was
exposed on the same 25ft twice and nothing on the other 25ft.

I can't tell you have many of my first films weren't exposed
properly - no auto exposure in those cameras. Or how many of
my shots were out of focus - no auto focus on those cameras.

I read and read and read about shooting both regular 8mm and
super 8 (the greatest book of filmmaking ever; "Independent
Filmmaking" by Lenny Lipton) and I still make technical mistakes.
But once I made the mistakes I learned. I had read about flipping
the roll of film, but until I did it (and did it wrong) it didn't really
sink in.

But some people learn better by reading and taking classes and
then making the BEST possible short film they can. If that's you,
then that's you. I'm glad to see you're going to make a movie.
What if do not create the BEST possible short film you can the
first time out? You gonna be okay?

I'll give you this idea if it will keep you from joining the army and getting your nuts blown off (or worse).

Do a documentary on girls who strip for a living. Travel around the midwest hitting every dance and strip club there is with your camera and shotgun mic.

Interview every hot girl who will sign a release.

Find and film enough hot girls, and you'll have a product people will go out of their way to click on.

Peace.

I wasn't technical either when I first started.

Using standard 8mm you are actually shooting 16mm film.
The camera used a 25ft roll - you would run it through the
camera and it would expose only 8mm's of the film stock.
So you would finish the 25ft, turn the roll over and shoot
the other 25ft. The lab would process it, split it and splice it.
So you would have 50ft of film to run through the projector.

My first roll I didn't lead the film correctly so the image was
exposed on the same 25ft twice and nothing on the other 25ft.

I can't tell you have many of my first films weren't exposed
properly - no auto exposure in those cameras. Or how many of
my shots were out of focus - no auto focus on those cameras.

I read and read and read about shooting both regular 8mm and
super 8 (the greatest book of filmmaking ever; "Independent
Filmmaking" by Lenny Lipton) and I still make technical mistakes.
But once I made the mistakes I learned. I had read about flipping
the roll of film, but until I did it (and did it wrong) it didn't really
sink in.

But some people learn better by reading and taking classes and
then making the BEST possible short film they can. If that's you,
then that's you. I'm glad to see you're going to make a movie.
What if do not create the BEST possible short film you can the
first time out? You gonna be okay?
I learn by "doing". I've always been this way. It's probably why I've never been a great student. I also have a photographic memory.....

My problem is probably that i'm too hard on myself. I always strive for perfection.
But i'll be fine even if "Madness" bombs, since it's only my first film, and you learn from trial and error.

You can read all the books on baseball in the world. But it's near-impossible to hit a home-run your first at-bat.

I know this now.

thanks guys....

- d

I'll give you this idea if it will keep you from joining the army and getting your nuts blown off (or worse).

Do a documentary on girls who strip for a living. Travel around the midwest hitting every dance and strip club there is with your camera and shotgun mic.

Interview every hot girl who will sign a release.

Find and film enough hot girls, and you'll have a product people will go out of their way to click on.

Peace.
That's a great idea. I care more about realism though. I think it all of their stories wouldn't be that interesting bunched up together. I'd rather find one girl with a phenomenal story. Much like "Nights of Cabria", or "Bella De Jour".
And I'm not leaning towards the military so much now.

hey truestar,

first off, man you're story hits real close to home. i actually went to school out in ohio as well at oberlin before the school decided they'd had enough to of me and i got my ass kicked out. i was on the precipice of joing the army myself before i decided to leave small town ohio and move out to LA. so as one who decided to go with your option B maybe i can give you a picture of how things might turn out for you if you chose to go that route.

as soon as i got out there i started scouring about for PA jobs and immediately got some gigs with the UCLA grad school scene. unpaid (aside from a meal and petty cash for transportation) laborious work but immensely educational. the definite advantage of working on a small production like that is you can see every facet of what's happening and you can ask questions and expect friendly helpful answers. the disadvantage that grew increasingly apparent was that there is no "ladder" to climb, so to speak. i went on to work as a PA and grip on a number of commercials and TV pilots and i could see how one could become stuck in crew indefinitely.

so the next apparent step was simply to make my own film, and after having been on a number of sets i had gotten a good feel for how to go about doing that. plus, there's a sort of unspoken rule that if you work for free on someone else's project, they owe you and have to work on yours for free. so i ended up getting a lot of free help and labor from all those UCLA students and other people i'd worked for before. also moving out to LA really helped because i could tap a huge pool of actors that would work for close to nothing and access to (relatively) cheap equipment that would be impossible to get at all in ohio.

mind, this was all while i was working fulltime as a barista at a cafe because you can't expect to make money working on set. so you're spending your weekends on set (often longer then you'd be at work. longest shooting day i worked on was 18hrs) and working weekdays, and it does become taxing.

anyways now i'm out in NYC pursuing your option C (i actually am a bartender now lol) and i've been spending my time making "practice films" - films i never intend to show the public. for example i'll think "i've never shot a fight scene" or "i've never shot a sex scene" and just make one, no story no nothing, to improve my technical skills. i'd highly recommend it, it's a good exercise. just because my career's at a standstill doesn't mean i have to let my skills stagnate.

whew man, i've been rambling a lot sorry for the long post - didn't think i'd end up posting my whole life story. but i hope some of it helps man!

Back