No Place finally completed

Hi Guys

I'm back, after spending the last week doing the online edit of "No Place." The film is now completed and ready to go out to distributors, but only because we ended up doing three days straight without sleep, dealing with some severe technical problems that we ran into. Basically, the timecode on our master tapes couldn't be read by either the deck or by Avid Nitris. We have an idea about why this is, but can't talk about it for legal reasons. In the end we had to use our backup HDD5 tapes to digitise in and still had to correct frame slippage by eye, against our offline guide.

The final look of the film is lovely, just what we were aiming for. Working with a professional colourist was a great experience and I was astounded at how much difference he was able to make.

HD is an incredible format and watching it on a HD monitor is a strange experience, there is almost too much information in the pictures. However, when it comes down to standard def it looks remarkably like film. I was surprised, because that was never our intention.

Anyhow, it's incredible to have completed this film after two and a half years. We're just about design a website for the film, I'll let you know when we've got it up and running. We've still got to cut a trailer, but that's just another step in the process.

Wow! Congratulations Clive! :woohoo:

Any chance it'll come to Boyceville, WI? Probably a little off the beaten path. ;)

Awesome :)

Does it have a rating yet or are you going to keep the movie unrated for funding reasons?

Also, do you have a trailer? I'd love to see one!

yeah that is bloody fantastic... still a long way to though kinda. Another milestone. Which reminds me i havent checked noplace in some time, gonna go do that now.

:woohoo:

Congrats Clive, I'm sure you're very excited!

Clive said:
the timecode on our master tapes couldn't be read by either the deck or by Avid Nitris. We have an idea about why this is, but can't talk about it for legal reasons.

This is the kind of thing that almost gets me to subscribe to blogs.

Spill the beans!

Congrats are in order. If you live around the LA area, I can take you out for dinner to celebrate. Good luck with the distrubution.

Vic

Thanks Guys,

I'll let you know when we've got our website running. We haven't got a trailer cut yet, we're concentrating on organising a London screen for distributors.

I've posted an initial poster/DVD sleeve design on my blog, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I've just had a call from one of our cast members, he was at the Venice Film Festival and ended up having a ten minute conversation with Quentin Tarantino over coffee. The was telling him all about "No Place"

I don't believe for a second that he'll remember the conversation or the film, but it amuses me to think about it.

And might i ask what an Online edit is?

Fair question.

When you're working with any format that is going to take massive computing power to manipulate, you do your early edit (offline) with lower resolution images, normally about 4:1 from standard def. This allows you to take editing decisions without locking the editing system up with too much data. Normally you'd use something like Avid Media Composer, which does what you need to pull your picture together, but isn't any use for colour correction or your sound mix.

Once the picture is cut and you've finished the sound dub, you need to redigitise the media from your camera masters in at full resolution. This is usually done on a different machine, Avid Symphony for standard def and Avid Nitris for High Def. These machines are specifically designed to finish the picture, in particular the colour correction. At the same time you'd also legalise the film for broadcast. The levels are watched on a scope to make sure that all the images comply with broadcast regulations. If you don't do this most TV stations will return your masters tapes, claiming that they are unbroadcastable, even though they usually have the equipment to legalise the images themselves.

The finished project is then laid off onto your master tapes, in our case three High Def masters and one digi-beta. Every single tape has to be watched through during the layoff and then played back. Once that's done, you sign the job off and the film is completed.

The important thing is that you end up with online images at the highest resolution possible. This is one of the problems that I have with Final Cut Pro HD, it's fine for offline work, but despite Apple's claims it isn't dealing with images at the highest resolution, HD itself is compressed on the tape, my understanding is that Final Cut Pro HD doesn't uncompress it, so the end result isn't a true HD online master, but a good quality HD offline, which may well be fine for straight to DVD or even to TV, but I'm not convinced that it won't fall apart in a cinema.

clive said:
I've just had a call from one of our cast members, he was at the Venice Film Festival and ended up having a ten minute conversation with Quentin Tarantino over coffee. The was telling him all about "No Place"

I don't believe for a second that he'll remember the conversation or the film, but it amuses me to think about it.

Don't be so sure of that ... I've read more than one interview (and even heard QT say it on the Reseviour Dog's DVD) that he is grateful for the people who helped out an unproven guy like himself, and he is always looking to return the favor.

Don't know if that is just lip service or what, but it's something to ponder.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...

Poke

if you get good friends with QT you better help a (indietalk)brother out :)

And thanks for sharing the info clive :)

Back