No more begging...

How is that even remotely reasonable or fair?

He said he didn't want to do it and only did it because everyone pushed him towards it and promised their support. The decision to do it was made on the basis that the support would be there because he'd had a poor experience previously and didn't want to do it.

The onus for that support is on those who promised it. Without that support the project failed. The project never would've been undertaken if it wasn't for those promises. So how is that failure on him? You know, other than not deciding to cave in to peer pressure in the first place, earning him the enmity of the flakes who abandoned him when the going got even remotely close to requiring a modicum of effort?

Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me. Case in point, don't work with flakes at all.

This is the very essence of leadership. It was his project, he was in charge, he made the "final" decision to do a KS. Sure, it sucks that everyone else backed out, but that's the price of being a leader. Everyone else did not know what it took to do a KS. He even told them up front it wouldn't work, and he did it anyway! If he KNEW it wouldn't work then he should have said no to the KS.

The key to leadership is decisions making. Making a wrong decisions is fine, all leaders do it, but they make decisions and live with the consequences, the second you try and blame someone else for your bad decisions is the moment you loose leadership.

If he KNEW it wouldn't work then he should have said no to the KS.

And from personal experience I know that whenever you buck the majority, you get vilified. Humans are social animals and people make ignorant decisions that support the majority solely because it's built into their natures to go with the flow. And people punish those who don't conform with ostracisation and sabotage, among other social inclusion mechanisms that force people to conform.

Once they had it in their heads that a KS was the answer, they weren't going to listen to reason and they weren't about to let up until they'd gotten their way or walked off into the sunset, blaming the project leader for a failed project because the project leader never listend to their eminent wisdom.

Like I said, lose-lose. What was he supposed to do? Be the bad guy or be the bad guy?

It's one thing to say a leader should take responsibility for everything, but when you're leading people who don't want to be led and aren't willing to step up and fulfil their promises, what is it exactly that you can do to change anything? Poke them with cattle-prods? Put M&M's out in a trail to get them to follow towards the land of reason?

And from personal experience I know that whenever you buck the majority, you get vilified. Humans are social animals and people make ignorant decisions that support the majority solely because it's built into their natures to go with the flow. And people punish those who don't conform with ostracisation and sabotage, among other social inclusion mechanisms that force people to conform.

This is true for the AVERAGE... average people are NOT leaders, a leaders actions are different. Leaders are willing to be vilified if its required.

This is a hard lesson for all of us! In hindsight, which is perfect buy the way, the OP should have listened to the input, carefully considered it and made his decision to NOT DO A KS CAMPAIGN completely clear. Anyone who could not live with that choice should have left the production. If someone kept on about it but didn't leave, they should have been replaced.

All of that is much easier to say then to do, and I know I'm being insensitive, for the OP the damage is done, all I can hope is to analyze the situation and try to avoid it in my own life.

Firing troublemakers and replacing them with better people shows leadership too. As I said, I was congratulated by someone in my crew when I replaced a self absorbed DP who is not a team player. When my new DP tried to contact the old DP for technical information on camera settings, the old DP would not reply to emails or phone calls. The new DP told me he sees what I mean that the old DP is not a team player. Friction on set can destroy a production more than it is worth trying to show leadership.

As an assistant manager for A&S Department Store years ago, the department manager left it on my shoulders to fire a troublemaker as he fired another. Firing a troublemaker is harder than holding onto them, but necessary. No one wants to be the messenger of bad news. But, it is the right business decision.

This is true for the AVERAGE... average people are NOT leaders, a leaders actions are different. Leaders are willing to be vilified if its required.

There are many different types of people in the world.

In a filming project, you need leaders and followers. You need the dreamers with the vision, at the same time, you also need the worker bees. You'll need the organizers. You'll need those who follow orders and you'll also need people who look for better ways to do the job. You'll need the extroverts and the introverts. Without the correct balance, things may fall apart or won't live up to the quality that you'd want from a film.

It's easy to complain about people who don't have the same dedication to a project as you. It's easy to get upset when people aren't as good at promotion, organizing, writing, thinking and so on as you. Just remember, film making is a team sport. No one person can do every job on set. You'll need people who compliment your strengths and cover your weaknesses.

Firing troublemakers and replacing them with better people shows leadership too.

I didn't see any part where these people were trouble makers. They all sounded like typical crew. They want to turn up, make movies and be part of the crew. Do their job.

While you can choose to replace these people. It sounds like it is your choice to make. It may be a mistake. You may be better off looking for extra people to fill your ranks to fill positions that you need. Replacing your camera operator because s/he's not a good marketer makes very little sense to me. You'd be better off finding a marketing person than a camera op that can also do marketing.

I didn't see any part where these people were trouble makers. They all sounded like typical crew. They want to turn up, make movies and be part of the crew. Do their job.

It's not the crew's or talent's job to ride the Producer/Director's ass, and pressure him into starting a crowdfunding campaign that he doesn't want to do.

Leaders are willing to be vilified if its required.

Eh, I think if a leader has to act in a way that others don't like simply in order to get the job done, then maybe the only real mistake the leader has made is to be working with people like that.

Personally the take-away I get from this discussion is to be careful who you choose to work for, or with. Then again, in a perfect world, there would only be me in it. And seventy-two virgins.

About a month ago several members of my cast and crew lobbied for me to create a kickstarter campaign to help with our first feature. Having been through one horrific crowd funding experience I was very reluctant to embark upon another. After many days of them telling me their huge networks of friends and followers throwing money, I finally relented.

One month later with about a week left on a failing campaign, I can tell you that I will not ever do this again. Why? I had no help at all. I have raised $495 of the $1500 we needed through my own begging and pleading. The people who promised to help did absolutely nothing. They haven't even pledged a dollar of their own money even after vowing to help get it rolling (two actors excluded).

My DP, who was very vocal about us needing money and him being willing to do ANYTHING to to make this KS project and the movie a success, told me he will not ask people he knows; it is beneath him. The actress that was most vocal about getting it started has vanished (She still answers listings for casting calls). The rest of the crowd funding instigators have suddenly become busy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that people are not obligated to do anything, but when you make vows to help complete a project and just disappear or you goad someone into doing something and just pull all support, that is a character issue.

I know that a big part of it is my fault. I allowed myself to be moved by false conviction. I took these people at face value, and now after a month of me shaking every tree I can find I am alone on a sinking ship with the same actors and crew wondering "If he can't even raise $1500 how is he going to complete a movie?"

Once again, I get it, but I am the one writing, producing, directing, editing, and marketing this project. Each of them (CREW) have declined to help do anything more than show up. They are more than willing to spend my money, eat my food, and pimp the finished product to make themselves feel special, but no one is wanting to do the hard work it takes to actually make something special.

That is the biggest issue. I am not a rich man. In a place where no one is getting paid, I have been paying these people out of pocket. They know that. They also know how hard I am working each day to make sure that everything goes according to plan, and we are always on schedule.

Hard as I try, I can not do everything. I am just one man. While I can not afford the crew I need on my current salary, I am wondering if I would be better off firing these people and finding a more competent crew.

First I totally understand how you FEEL.

I'm guessing that this is your baby, your passion project, and if it was anything like my experience, at times you can feel utterly alone because your commitment level to this is magnitudes more than anyone else on your team. And that feeling of being overwhelmed with no one to go to, making it feel like everyone around you is cold, uncaring, etc. And some of that may be true.

However, if I can provide you some advice based on my own experience (recently finished directing a feature), I think the biggest problem isn't with your crew (you may very well have to let go of some of them, but that's a separate issue, as is this Kickstarter thing).

The biggest problem is with your crew or Kickstarter. It's this:

Once again, I get it, but I am the one writing, producing, directing, editing, and marketing this project.
Hard as I try, I can not do everything. I am just one man.

You have a crew. You have a cast(?). But you have no dedicated production team. You need at least one other person who is solely a producer, and maybe two or three people on the producer side even for a tiny budget.

Study the credit lists of some of your ultra low budget indie films that found some success - you will find that they have a bigger team than you may realize.

When I see that you're going to be the writer, director, editor, AND on top of that producing and marketing - that's a huge concern. You said it yourself - you cannot do everything.

But you shouldn't be looking to your crew to double as producers. They voiced a strong opinion, they have even offered to help, but they are crew.

Simply put, you need a bigger team to get this off the ground. It's not your crew, it's not Kickstarter. It's that you're solo in too many departments.

At the minimum, get someone who can focus solely on producing and marketing. From there, you can then (along with your producer) decide what to do with your crew. Your crew may very well jump on the bandwagon to help out - but ONLY if they see that you have some momentum going, and you can't get that momentum going without enlisting dedicated producers.

And yes, a good producer is one of the most elusive and hardest people to find. But when I see you taking on so many roles, it's a HUGE red flag about the quality of the final product (even before a single frame has been shot) - and I'm willing to hazard a guess that your crew and cast probably picked up on that. Ideally find two people to work in production: a producer, and a production coordinator/assistant.

And creatively, I would suggest you bring in another editor, even if you see yourself as an editing guru (I really hope that "editing" doesn't also mean you'll do color grading, sound mix, DCP, etc yourself).

First I totally understand how you FEEL.

I'm guessing that this is your baby, your passion project, and if it was anything like my experience, at times you can feel utterly alone because your commitment level to this is magnitudes more than anyone else on your team. And that feeling of being overwhelmed with no one to go to, making it feel like everyone around you is cold, uncaring, etc. And some of that may be true.

However, if I can provide you some advice based on my own experience (recently finished directing a feature), I think the biggest problem isn't with your crew (you may very well have to let go of some of them, but that's a separate issue, as is this Kickstarter thing).

The biggest problem is with your crew or Kickstarter. It's this:

You have a crew. You have a cast(?). But you have no dedicated production team. You need at least one other person who is solely a producer, and maybe two or three people on the producer side even for a tiny budget.

Study the credit lists of some of your ultra low budget indie films that found some success - you will find that they have a bigger team than you may realize.

When I see that you're going to be the writer, director, editor, AND on top of that producing and marketing - that's a huge concern. You said it yourself - you cannot do everything.

But you shouldn't be looking to your crew to double as producers. They voiced a strong opinion, they have even offered to help, but they are crew.

Simply put, you need a bigger team to get this off the ground. It's not your crew, it's not Kickstarter. It's that you're solo in too many departments.

At the minimum, get someone who can focus solely on producing and marketing. From there, you can then (along with your producer) decide what to do with your crew. Your crew may very well jump on the bandwagon to help out - but ONLY if they see that you have some momentum going, and you can't get that momentum going without enlisting dedicated producers.

And yes, a good producer is one of the most elusive and hardest people to find. But when I see you taking on so many roles, it's a HUGE red flag about the quality of the final product (even before a single frame has been shot) - and I'm willing to hazard a guess that your crew and cast probably picked up on that. Ideally find two people to work in production: a producer, and a production coordinator/assistant.

And creatively, I would suggest you bring in another editor, even if you see yourself as an editing guru (I really hope that "editing" doesn't also mean you'll do color grading, sound mix, DCP, etc yourself).

Thank you. I will be adding a dedicated marketing and production person. Video Editing wise, I am piecing together the best takes and handing it off to someone else. If I find someone more suited for the job, maybe not that much. Audio wise, I have someone much better than me for that.

I will be building a better team. This current one has a couple standouts. They will remain. The rest will be replaced.

This is the very essence of leadership. It was his project, he was in charge, he made the "final" decision to do a KS. Sure, it sucks that everyone else backed out, but that's the price of being a leader. Everyone else did not know what it took to do a KS. He even told them up front it wouldn't work, and he did it anyway! If he KNEW it wouldn't work then he should have said no to the KS.

The key to leadership is decisions making. Making a wrong decisions is fine, all leaders do it, but they make decisions and live with the consequences, the second you try and blame someone else for your bad decisions is the moment you loose leadership.

In most of my projects this has been true. This project was more of a committee of equals. We needed money. I had crowd funding experience. I told the group about the difficulties with it. They unanimously wanted to give it a shot. It was too much of an undertaking for them.

I don't have a problem taking the blame for the failure. I will take the hit for it, regardless. I accept that. I chose to work with these people. Even though it was supposed to be a group project, I chose to do the KS campaign. Now, I am choosing to create a better product with a more dedicated and harder working crew.

If you can shoot several senior pictures or a web commercial for a local business and be guaranteed the $1500 you need versus the same amount of time it takes to crowdfund where there are no promises, it seems like real work and saving are the better options.

Awesome tip,
That's the best alternative I found for Crowd funding,
I liked it

I have made peace with this. I thank everyone that commented. I also thank Willie Dynamite for donating. No clue who you are, but thanks. Anyway, here is something my son and his friends put together yesterday. I helped with some parts, but this is their baby. Next time they may actually have a script and use my sound equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiT0J4F43gU

Last edited:
LMAO! Kidzrfunny/crazy/laughablystupid!

What happened with the audio?
Did you "help" with the camera work, or was that them as well?

LMAO! Kidzrfunny/crazy/laughablystupid!

What happened with the audio?
Did you "help" with the camera work, or was that them as well?

I helped with the angles and set up. When all of them had to be in the shot I did that. We did record some sound externally, but they were ready to put it up. I may sync it, but they seem to be happy so I may just work on other stuff.

Of course, they are already planning for the "NEXT TIME".

Last edited:
They put together two earlier projects independent of me, and I hate to say it, but I had more fun goofing around with them than on the last project I did.

Back