• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No Budget Lighting

How to handle lighting in a no budget film? The location has very bad lighting and i don't want to go above 200 in iso.

Im strapped for cash. Have to feed and hydrate the cast and crew, gas for the cast, new tripod, dolly for tripod and a dslr rig. I need a desk too. Thats close to $400. So i will naturally try to squeeze it down to $300.

lol!! he came back and said again he doesn't have a budget.
I thought i was being silly with my last post but i was spot on.

anyway this is what i built ,my DIY light. more than your $50 budget but you might have these parts laying around already! except the cheap adaptors

lights.jpg

That's crafty. I likes.

Meh.

The halogen work lights are just a slight step above, with the addition of much greater output (500w halogen vs. 150w incandescent). They're both huge compromises in consideration of no budget. You're still going to want to bounce the hell out of them. Direct, they'll be too harsh, uneven, and uncontrollable.
I may just purchase a work light and point towards the ceiling or a wall like you said.

I wasn't referring to the lighting. I mean a rig, another tripod, tripod dolly and final cut pro.

And you said you were looking at $300-400 total for all that plus a desk, craft services, and gas money for cast and crew.

If you're splitting the cost of FCPX with someone else, that's $150 out of your budget. And yes, if you have stipulated the amount you're willing to spend on something, then you have a budget.

So that leaves you with $150-250 to get your tripod, tripod dolly, and DSLR rig, plus to buy craft services AND provide gas money to your cast and crew. Hate to break it to you, but there's no way in hell that you're going to get all of that within your target and expect any of it to last very long at all. You get what you pay for.

Cheap tripods and cheap rigs are just that: cheap.

And you said you were looking at $300-400 total for all that plus a desk, craft services, and gas money for cast and crew.

If you're splitting the cost of FCPX with someone else, that's $150 out of your budget. And yes, if you have stipulated the amount you're willing to spend on something, then you have a budget.

So that leaves you with $150-250 to get your tripod, tripod dolly, and DSLR rig, plus to buy craft services AND provide gas money to your cast and crew. Hate to break it to you, but there's no way in hell that you're going to get all of that within your target and expect any of it to last very long at all. You get what you pay for.

Cheap tripods and cheap rigs are just that: cheap.
So, provide a realistic breakdown, please.
The rig i have my eye on is $90 on amazon.
The tripod and dolly should come out no more than $70 combined.
Food and beverage like $50.
Gas for the cast $20 each so $40. That's $250 right there.
Idk how cheap i can get a desk for. I hope for little or nothing. I didn't calculate the crafts because idk what i need just yet.

FCP is actually my next check.

Last edited:
So, provide a realistic breakdown, please.

Based on what? How many people total, and how many shoot days? Full days? Half days?

The rig i have my eye on is $90 on amazon.
The tripod and dolly should come out no more than $70 combined.

Links?

Look, cheap gear is cheap. There are some okay shoulder rigs out there for $100-150, but they're bare-bones and really require some additional hardware to get up to par. As for a tripod and dolly, the dirt-cheap ones aren't going to hold up to use. I'd venture to say that the tripod head also won't be very stable. Again, I'm really curious to see what you're planning to buy.

Idk how cheap i can get a desk for. I hope for little or nothing.

Craigslist can be your best friend here. Is this a desk to be used as a prop? Or is it for your FCP system?

Food and beverage like $50.

I didn't calculate the crafts because idk what i need just yet.

?!

Craft services = food and beverage for the cast and crew, made available throughout the shoot day on the Craft Services table.

Catering is different, referring to actual meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

Last edited:
Based on what? How many people total, and how many shoot days? Full days? Half days?

Links?

Look, cheap gear is cheap. There are some okay shoulder rigs out there for $100-150, but they're bare-bones and really require some additional hardware to get up to par. As for a tripod and dolly, the dirt-cheap ones aren't going to hold up to use. I'd venture to say that the tripod head also won't be very stable. Again, I'm really curious to see what you're planning to buy.

Craigslist can be your best friend here. Is this a desk to be used as a prop? Or is it for your FCP system?

?!

Craft services = food and beverage for the cast and crew, made available throughout the shoot day on the Craft Services table.

Catering is different, referring to actual meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner).
People total around 10. A half-day shoot.

The desk is just a prop for the film. I am going Craigslist route for that.

Craft as in curtains and whatever i will need to alter the lighting.

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/7ARSTIVZUNSZ

Thats my wishlist but you'll catch my drift.

The food likely a subway platter and some drinks.

Keep in mind those worklights are super super hot.
and when you turn off the AC to get good sound those lights are going to feel even hotter.

people will sweat, they will get tired, they will want to go home and you're not going to get that extra shot at the end of the day.

thats why I did my DIY with LEDs.
Just as bright, I don't use 1000 watts to pop any circuit breakers and it's not a furnace.

IDK how you expect to get a tripod and a dolly for $70
I want a dolly really badly but I've been too lazy to build one... i think even DIY the dolly itself will cost more than $70 in parts

Keep in mind those worklights are super super hot.
and when you turn off the AC to get good sound those lights are going to feel even hotter.

people will sweat, they will get tired, they will want to go home and you're not going to get that extra shot at the end of the day.

thats why I did my DIY with LEDs.
Just as bright, I don't use 1000 watts to pop any circuit breakers and it's not a furnace.

IDK how you expect to get a tripod and a dolly for $70
I want a dolly really badly but I've been too lazy to build one... i think even DIY the dolly itself will cost more than $70 in parts
Well amazon and ebay have them. Not like tracks but wheels you attach the tripod to. Im not going to let my lack of buku money stop me from getting the shot i want.

Thats my main concern with the work light as well. That house warm as is. The office is a real tight area. An LED would be suffice for the office scene but maybe a worklight just for the living room.

People total around 10. A half-day shoot.

If you're serving lunch only, you're looking at $5-7/person. Breakfast can be done for $3-6/person. Dinner, $8-12/person.

Craft as in curtains and whatever i will need to alter the lighting.

Lighting and light modifiers fall under Lighting and Grip. Curtains and set dressings are under the Art Dept. If you call it Craft/Crafty/Craft Service, it has to do with snacks.

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/7ARSTIVZUNSZ

Thats my wishlist but you'll catch my drift.

Okay, so that Fancierstudio DSLR rig, which seems to be the one you mentioned earlier, is garbage. It won't hold up. Expect all the tightening joints to come loose often, and the rubber grips on the handles to slip. The included mattebox is flimsy and the included follow focus is inaccurate and full of play.

Plus, those cheap-ass rigs front-load everything and provide no behind-the-shoulder counterweight options. That's sure to lead to fatigue in a short time, because your forearm has to support all the weight in addition to directing the camera.

Every tripod you have on your wish list features a non-fluid photo head, not a fluid video head. So, there'd be no way for you to get a smooth tilt or pan.

If you're serving lunch only, you're looking at $5-7/person. Breakfast can be done for $3-6/person. Dinner, $8-12/person.

Lighting and light modifiers fall under Lighting and Grip. Curtains and set dressings are under the Art Dept. If you call it Craft/Crafty/Craft Service, it has to do with snacks.

Okay, so that Fancierstudio DSLR rig, which seems to be the one you mentioned earlier, is garbage. It won't hold up. Expect all the tightening joints to come loose often, and the rubber grips on the handles to slip. The included mattebox is flimsy and the included follow focus is inaccurate and full of play.

Plus, those cheap-ass rigs front-load everything and provide no behind-the-shoulder counterweight options. That's sure to lead to fatigue in a short time, because your forearm has to support all the weight in addition to directing the camera.

Every tripod you have on your wish list features a non-fluid photo head, not a fluid video head. So, there'd be no way for you to get a smooth tilt or pan.
Damn! What do you recommend? I mean its a short. This stuff i will greatly take heed once i shoot my first feature. So for the time being, what you suggest to get quality shooting?

I was considering just lunch but you made me think about breakfast because how early i wanted to initially start. I want a beautiful, cost effective picture.

Bare minimum? This tripod and dolly kit. Still not spectacular, but functional and much more likely to last a few projects.

And forego the rig for now. Why do you think you need it at this point?
I want more stability during shots when i follow an actor. This film doesnt need it. I may spend some of the rig money towards lighting. How you feel about the ring lights? You know? The circles?

Ring lights are fine, if you want a visible pool of light moving with the camera. In other words, it's kind of like a camera-top light used by a news shooter. So, it'll look more like news. Plus, it lights from a straight-on angle, meaning it provides flat light with no contrast, no depth.

I get the rig as a need for stability. I use a shoulder rig. The question was really trying to feel out priority, because that's something that can be triaged for beginners. Use both hands on your camera, tuck your elbows in to hold them against your torso, and practice your walking technique. Roll your feet in a fluid cycle from heel to ball, walk with a slight bend in your knees, and use your knees as shock-absorbers to keep your torso from bouncing. With practice you'll learn how to walk and keep yourself fairly stable from the waist up, which will come in handy with a shoulder rig, with a stabilizer or gimbal, etc.

You can also add a bit of handheld stability with a PISTOL GRIP and LOUPE. The loupe adds another point of contact between the camera and your body, increasing stability. This solution outfits your camera to a form factor like a basic, classic 8mm/16mm home movie camera.

Ring lights are fine, if you want a visible pool of light moving with the camera. In other words, it's kind of like a camera-top light used by a news shooter. So, it'll look more like news. Plus, it lights from a straight-on angle, meaning it provides flat light with no contrast, no depth.

I get the rig as a need for stability. I use a shoulder rig. The question was really trying to feel out priority, because that's something that can be triaged for beginners. Use both hands on your camera, tuck your elbows in to hold them against your torso, and practice your walking technique. Roll your feet in a fluid cycle from heel to ball, walk with a slight bend in your knees, and use your knees as shock-absorbers to keep your torso from bouncing. With practice you'll learn how to walk and keep yourself fairly stable from the waist up, which will come in handy with a shoulder rig, with a stabilizer or gimbal, etc.

You can also add a bit of handheld stability with a PISTOL GRIP and LOUPE. The loupe adds another point of contact between the camera and your body, increasing stability. This solution outfits your camera to a form factor like a basic, classic 8mm/16mm home movie camera.
Nice tools especially the viewfinder. Still cost the same around a rig. I will consider it.

What type of light for an indoor shooting thats affordable? Please.

Last edited:
Nice tools especially the viewfinder. Still cost the same around a rig. I will consider it.

No. It costs about the same as the POS rig that you were originally considering. This is the only solution in that price range that will give you acceptable quality for the money invested.

If you want a full shoulder rig, be prepared to save up for something that isn't a total waste of money:

Base shoulder rig (no offset): $130
Follow focus: $120
Focus gears: $30-45/ea
Mattebox: $300
Counterweights: $160
Field monitor: $250-800, or
EVF: $800+

And that's the budget version.

What type of light for an indoor shooting thats affordable? Please.

"Affordable" can mean a lot of things. In the grand scheme of professional lighting, Aputure Amaran LED panels are very affordable at $160-275 each, considering that high-end lighting fixtures for TV and film can go from $500 each up to several thousand.

Your stated budget of $50 leaves you with few options that will give you good lighting. Honestly, anything you spend that money on as far as purchasing is money wasted in a very short-term solution. For $50, whether you get worklights or venture into sfoster's DIY cardboard box solution, you'll quickly find that you may get bright and wide coverage, but at the expense of color rendering, even lighting distribution, and ease of control.

Perhaps you might look to a local rental house. A small, functional lighting kit may run as low as $75/day. You're spending that money either way, so it really comes down to this: would you rather spend it on a cheap solution that you're just gong to have to replace in the not-so-distant future, or spend that money on renting something better? Either way, it's an expenditure on this project that has no income to offset it. So what's the best way to spend it for this project?

Last edited:
Back