• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No Budget Lighting

How to handle lighting in a no budget film? The location has very bad lighting and i don't want to go above 200 in iso.

Im strapped for cash. Have to feed and hydrate the cast and crew, gas for the cast, new tripod, dolly for tripod and a dslr rig. I need a desk too. Thats close to $400. So i will naturally try to squeeze it down to $300.

No budget lighting is the sun.

Hey, that's super-helpful for what sounds to me like an interior location. (Or outdoors at night?)

Freddy, there's not much you can do on $0 budget unless you already have some tools at your expense. Do you have any inventory of work lights or other tools you think might let you improvise?

While not ideal, and it may require some purchasing, you might look at halogen worklights from the home improvement store. They're bright, with the challenges being that they run very hot (cool before touching) and they're more difficult to control because they are floods. BUT, depending on the location, you can bounce them.

Can you tell us a little more about the location? Indoors? Rough size? Color of walls and ceiling?

You can use white walls and ceiling as a bounce, or you can use white foam core (science fair project poster board) to bounce and black foam core to cut. Just don't put any paper products too close to the lights.

If you can find room in the budget, order a roll of black wrap from FilmTools or B&H. It's basically aluminum foil that's been black-anodized. You can wrap it around the lights and use it to shape and cut the output.

These aren't great lights, so don't expect award-winning lighting, but they can do in a pinch.

Hey, that's super-helpful for what sounds to me like an interior location. (Or outdoors at night?)

Freddy, there's not much you can do on $0 budget unless you already have some tools at your expense. Do you have any inventory of work lights or other tools you think might let you improvise?

While not ideal, and it may require some purchasing, you might look at halogen worklights from the home improvement store. They're bright, with the challenges being that they run very hot (cool before touching) and they're more difficult to control because they are floods. BUT, depending on the location, you can bounce them.

Can you tell us a little more about the location? Indoors? Rough size? Color of walls and ceiling?

You can use white walls and ceiling as a bounce, or you can use white foam core (science fair project poster board) to bounce and black foam core to cut. Just don't put any paper products too close to the lights.

If you can find room in the budget, order a roll of black wrap from FilmTools or B&H. It's basically aluminum foil that's been black-anodized. You can wrap it around the lights and use it to shape and cut the output.

These aren't great lights, so don't expect award-winning lighting, but they can do in a pinch.
The shooting will be indoors. A very dim living room doubling as a waiting room and a very petite office area as a starter-up office. I want the living room brighten up enough to depict an office waiting area. The main shooting will be in the office as a narrative film.

I don't want to spend over another $50.

Last edited:

I had pictures but my phone screen went out. >:(

Low ceilings and the walls are white but scattered with decorations.

Work lights are dirt-cheap.

Since you want to mimic a bright office waiting room, though, you're going to have to think about what look you want. Typically, that would mean in-ceiling fluorescent lighting, so quite diffused and directly overhead. I doubt you can really get that accurate for $50. So you can bounce the work lights off the ceiling. Get some black foam core from the office supply store to help cut spill.

And any practicals you have sitting around (floor lamps, desk lamps), use them.

Of course, the other option is to try and expand your local network. Find someone local who has a decent lighting kit and the knowledge to use it. It may be a long shot, but the reality is that it takes experience to overcome limited means in getting a good end-result in lighting.

Work lights are dirt-cheap.

Since you want to mimic a bright office waiting room, though, you're going to have to think about what look you want. Typically, that would mean in-ceiling fluorescent lighting, so quite diffused and directly overhead. I doubt you can really get that accurate for $50. So you can bounce the work lights off the ceiling. Get some black foam core from the office supply store to help cut spill.

And any practicals you have sitting around (floor lamps, desk lamps), use them.
What's your stance on incandescent clamp lights? I assume bulbs are separate.

What's your stance on incandescent clamp lights? I assume bulbs are separate.

Meh.

The halogen work lights are just a slight step above, with the addition of much greater output (500w halogen vs. 150w incandescent). They're both huge compromises in consideration of no budget. You're still going to want to bounce the hell out of them. Direct, they'll be too harsh, uneven, and uncontrollable.

lol!! he came back and said again he doesn't have a budget.
I thought i was being silly with my last post but i was spot on.

anyway this is what i built ,my DIY light. more than your $50 budget but you might have these parts laying around already! except the cheap adaptors

lights.jpg

IDK he just told me "There isnt a budget."
i don't think he knows what a budget is.

oh i need this so it's not a budget? riiight.
budget must for all that stuff you don't need.
"English, motherf**ker! Do you speak it?" - Jules (Pulp Fiction)

You all dont know what a budget is.

If i had a budget, then i'll using money allocated for this project. I don't have a set amount. Im using personal money. Get it?

A lot of you all like to think you smart and talk down but arent very bright.

If i had a budget, I'll say the budget. Having no budget isnt equal to having no money.

Back