Next up: Ingmar Bergman

I have watched pretty much every Hitchcock film over the past year or so to really get a hold on a director's particularities and singular style. I think the next body of work I take in and take on will be that of Ingmar Bergman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingmar_Bergman

Of his movies, which he has plenty of, do you have any favorites? I'm looking forward to learning all I can about what made his films Bergman films.

Cries and Whispers.

Someday I'll employ a vicious fade to red as homage to this film. But not until I feel I have something even a 100th as cool as Cries and Whispers.

For Christmas my junior year in high school my dad gave me
tickets to a screening of every one of his films at the local
university. I saw all of them on the big screen.

My favorites are "The Seventh Seal", "Through a Glass Darkly"
and "Persona". I love doing a double-feature of "Smiles of a
Summer Night" and "A Midsummers Night Sex Comedy".

Indeed. That's a fine gift. I can only assume you were the lone 16 or 17 year old in the audience, or maybe one of a handful at best.

I'll probably save Cries and Whispers, Through a Glass Darkly, and Persona for viewing later on. I have not seen The Seventh Seal in a long while, but I will be watching that one again.

Got me thinking but we should start an Indietalk film club where each week someone gets to choose a film for everyone to go off and watch, learn from and write their opinions of.

Could be fun...?

I'm still digesting Werckmeister Harmonies. The imagery, mood and music wrapped around me like an anaconda. Just now catching my breath. Not a Bergman film, but one certainly worth a watch!

Yeah, Nick, I like the idea of everyone watching a film the same night and commenting on it. Since we can't be in the theater together, it's the next best thing. Who will sit next to me? ;)

I'm better with audio commentary.

The Virgin Spring, The Seventh Seal, and Wild Stawberries are some that I love from him

And ditto to the idea of a film night - would be interesting to see other's thoughts on the film

I'm still digesting Werckmeister Harmonies. The imagery, mood and music wrapped around me like an anaconda. Just now catching my breath. Not a Bergman film, but one certainly worth a watch!

Béla Tarr's films are most definitely worth watching, he's one of my favorite directors of all time. I liked Werckmeister Harmonies but I think his best film is Satantango, if you haven't checked that one out you should, and don't worry about the running time.
I can't wait until his latest film "The Turin Horse" hits the theaters.

We watched "Hour of the Wolf" last night. Very creepy and well done. Some scenes were surprisingly intense and disturbing!

The Inception-style shot took me off guard. Didn't expect to see that sort of thing. Very cool.

Last edited:
I love the 'Seventh Seal'. My girlfriend had an exam on it last year for Philosophy degree, so we got to take our time watching it and make a lot of notes on symbology and religious and philosophical references, it was great fun.

seventh seal, persona, through a glass darkly. the only other one i have seen is wild strawberries, but i didn't like it much. I mean, its great filmmaking, but relative to his other films, didn't do it for me. I guess the subject matter wasnt' as relatable. I've been meaning to see cries and whispers

Back