New York Film Academy - Paris Workshop

Hey guys! I want (like everybody here I guess) get a job in the film industry, doesn't really matters what, just doing something.

I live in Finland, but I'm Argentine. I don't have a lot of money to pay an expensive film school, and even though studying in Finland is free, I don't speak any Finnish, which is a super difficult language.

I found this workshop in Paris in the summer, dictated by the New York Film Academy. Is very expensive, plus living in Paris and the travel, but I can afford that (ofc spending all my money)

So what I want to know is if is really worth it. I mean, I think that I know the basics, and I've read a lot that is more important to practice than studying. So, do you guys think I should go for the workshop or get that money and go for a short film instead?

Is there summer course or not-so-expensive filmmaking school around europe that you would recommend?

Do you have any experiences on NYFA workshops?

Thanks!!

Hey guys! I want (like everybody here I guess) get a job in the film industry, doesn't really matters what, just doing something.

I live in Finland, but I'm Argentine. I don't have a lot of money to pay an expensive film school, and even though studying in Finland is free, I don't speak any Finnish, which is a super difficult language.

I found this workshop in Paris in the summer, dictated by the New York Film Academy. Is very expensive, plus living in Paris and the travel, but I can afford that (ofc spending all my money)

So what I want to know is if is really worth it. I mean, I think that I know the basics, and I've read a lot that is more important to practice than studying. So, do you guys think I should go for the workshop or get that money and go for a short film instead?

Is there summer course or not-so-expensive filmmaking school around europe that you would recommend?

Do you have any experiences on NYFA workshops?

Thanks!!

Consider starting at community college if that's an option where you are.

You need to figure out what you want to do, before spending lots of money learning how to do it. :hmm:.

of course I want to be a director, but I would do anything that it takes to get there (that's what I meant)

You can't afford it.

I can afford that workshop which is of course a way cheaper than a degree!

Why instead looking for something to quote to attack me don't you try to help me?

of course I want to be a director, but I would do anything that it takes to get there (that's what I meant)

I can afford that workshop which is of course a way cheaper than a degree!

Why instead looking for something to quote to attack me don't you try to help me?

Dude, you said you don't have the money for it... and also that it's expensive. You cannot afford it.

Sorry for getting straight to the point. :rolleyes:

Education is extremely important, but a film degree never got anyone a job in and of itself.

I work with a lot of people in the industry, their formal education varies (degree, years of school, no school, etc), but the thing everyone has in common is they're a hard worker, ambitious, and have a solid body of work on their resume. I know people with film degrees that worked at a pizza place for a decade after they graduated. I know people that volunteered and read books and shot stuff on their own for years that are full time in media now, being paid well, because of the hours they put in on their own.

You have to learn it either way, through school or experience, but a degree by itself doesn't mean a lot in film.

"I found this workshop in Paris in the summer, dictated by the New York Film Academy. Is very expensive, plus living in Paris and the travel, but I can afford that (ofc spending all my money)"

I said "I can't afford a degree but I can afford this workshop spending all my money is that worth it?"

There you have the point.

I said "I can't afford a degree but I can afford this workshop spending all my money is that worth it?"

There you have the point.

I hate to belabour the point, but you said you couldn't afford expensive film school... and then listed NYFA, an expensive film school.

At any rate, good luck with the decision you ultimately make. I'm out. :)

p.s.
You still can't afford it.

I strongly advise you not to go to NYFA or any of their programs.

This is the kind of answer I was looking for, but just for curiosity, why do you say that? do you know any other sumer school around Europe with a summer program? Do you recommend me to better take that money and go for my own "kind-of-good quality" short film? or what would you do starting your career with 5k euros and a whole summer to spend them?

This is the kind of answer I was looking for, but just for curiosity, why do you say that? do you know any other sumer school around Europe with a summer program? Do you recommend me to better take that money and go for my own "kind-of-good quality" short film? or what would you do starting your career with 5k euros and a whole summer to spend them?

I have gone to one of their programs, and I can honestly say it was probably the worst waste of money. I've heard numerous complaints from people I know, and there's even sites dedicated to the degrading of the of the academy. (http://www.nyfasucks.com). I recommend you watch as many filmmaking videos and free resources as possible.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=50686

Then invest the money you have into making shorts.

Good luck!

I've actually been doing shorts since I was 9, with the "starting career" thing I meant something well done and more seriously

ah.. then yes, you're ready to put some money into making something better.

ideally if you can put your money toward a feature and get other investors to match, that would be awesome.

otherwise yes you're probably better off making a great short imo, but shorts generally don't make their money back so you need to believe you're going to really impress people and use it as a stepping stone

Back