New to indietalk. Simple question

Hey guys, I've been browsing indietalk for a bit and decided to finally make an account :)
So i thought my first thread would be a simple question to help me and others out. What keeps you guys motivated to stay in film-making and get through a tough time?

Dude, I believe that only vocational feelings can keep you on this way when this way becomes hard, or when you fight against tough times. Because it's not a common profession. Filmmaking is a strange sum of arts, where you put your consciousness in each one to tell not only a story, but sometimes an entire reality. A kind of life that your soul brings to world through the movie.

So, the motivation comes from a continuous pulse in your heart, keeping you working no matter what happens. You can take years in a single screenplay, being unable to reach the film. But you just don't give up until you achieve it. I believe it is what we call "vocation".

Well

Well, since I'm a total n00b to filmmaking myself, I can't say much on what keeps you in film, per se.

What I can do - the only reason I've freelanced as long as I have (3 years or so?) is because I genuinely love writing. I write to work, I write when I don't work. Because it's something I do and something I love. And even when the pay sucks (or is nonexistent. That happens), it's still because I enjoy it, and at the end of the day? It's better to be doing something I love and making next to nothing than living it up and dreading work every day.

Real talk.

What keeps you guys motivated to stay in film-making and get through a tough time?

I prefer to just get completely blitzed, and then come on Indietalk and make an ass of myself. Seems to be working out pretty well, so far. ;)

Okay, a serious answer, I dunno exactly what it is that keeps us going, but filmmakers certainly don't hold a monopoly on hardship. Pretty much all artists have to wade through some murky waters. If you're human, you might sometimes let the hard times get you down, and sometimes you might kinda quit. If you're an artist, you'll start back up again, inspired and invigorated for something new.

Just do it. You'll be fine. :)

Not in it for the money even though that sounds incredibly cliché. But what motivates me is the fact that I would one day like to support my self with the projects that i do. My job I don't like is a real motivator to get my self out of the situation I am in. that and the fact that I love movies, almost unhealthy obsession.

Film history is what motivates me. Every great filmmaker at some point during their career had gone through a rough time.

Kubrick's first four films failed to make money and worked on a deferred basis for each film.

It took Aronofksy and Tarantino years before they could make their first features. (Late twenties) Plus Aronofksy has always struggled to find the money to make all of his films.

Scorsese had worked three years on his first feature. Also a lot of his films initially didn't make a lot of money in the box office. (Raging Bull, New York, New York, King of Comedy)

And lets not forget Coppola's nightmarish experiences during the making of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.

It's all part of the lifestyle. And if you love it enough, you'll keep going and make more films because we all know it'll be worthwhile in the end.

To me, although I'm still pretty new to the filmmaking, the most important thing is that one day I might make something really good that everybody would watch and I'd become famous, but not like celebrity famous more like a known person that people don't follow in every day activities. :)

Thanks for everyone's responses, they helped me a lot on keeping focus :)
And sorry for replying back to you guys so late i just have been focused on a lot of things and been busy working to make money for equipment.
I'm currently working on the script for my first short film so you guys might see some of that on here in a month or so. It's not going to be anything to crazy just something to get me started and help practice certain shots I've been wanting to do

A lot of people like me are crazy motivated, and some aren't. I have two collaborators who pretty much left the filmmaking team I was trying to build. They said they didn't have enough time, cause they have a wives and kids.

Another collaborator is spending a lot of his money on making films and his wife is on the verge of leaving him and taking the kids, because of it. I too am investing a lot of money in it, and my girlfriend is turned off, saying I spend way too much, and I should put it towards something more reasonable, like a house or something.

I guess it's an ugly world and you have to make big sacrifices for such a tough career as filmmaking success.

My comment is so late I hope it doesn't get overshadowed hahaha.

What keeps me motivaited, well the fact for me is. in all honesty I love story telling and I have just came to realize it. I am not that old and for a while now I have seen in side my self that I am not cut out for a normal pace of life, you know the average 9-5 sort of way. I need something else, I need to tell stories. Are my stories something that will help man kind.....hell no hahaha of course not, but i do not want to work at a normal job for the rest of my life.

Crappy jobs equal motivation. not to mention shit talkers. I feel the shit talkers are the un sung heros of any success story. they are the main root. I love being motivated and motivation speeches oooo yeah.

By the way, i hope this post makes sense I have been drinking tonight.

Back