• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New Distributor Seeking Films

I don't know exactly how to phrase this question since I'm only just now starting to dive into distribution for my feature (http://everthemovie.com) but are you interested in a kind of non exclusive distribution deal? So I could let you promote my film for a portion of the sales, but I would also be free to self distribute on my own platform without your involvement?

Not sure if this is an unusual practice or not, but I'm interested to get a sense for this stuff.

Also, feel free to answer here as well, but it would be good to put on your website a section about who you (you guys) are as people, behind the scenes. What are your backgrounds. It's nice to know who you're doing business with.

Another one of my concerns would be the fact that I live and work in Los Angeles, and so all of our business would likely be over email and/or phone.

Congrats on starting a business though. I'm a sucker for clean and visually appealing website design, so you've got my attention so far!

I think for the right film we would like to be involved any way we could.

It's not a typical practice, but who wants to be typical.

I don't know exactly how to phrase this question since I'm only just now starting to dive into distribution for my feature (http://everthemovie.com) but are you interested in a kind of non exclusive distribution deal? So I could let you promote my film for a portion of the sales, but I would also be free to self distribute on my own platform without your involvement?

Not sure if this is an unusual practice or not, but I'm interested to get a sense for this stuff.

I completely agree. We're actually working on that now, bios are already written it's just a matter of filling out those pages and placing them on the site. For the launch we wanted to make it about the company, but then have more about who's behind it.

But I can give you a quick overview for anyone that's wondering: There are four partners, Dan (me), Martin, Tommy and Sean.

I've been in marketing and film (separately) for the better part of a decade. I started out as a composer (and still compose when I can) but moved into producing with my business background. I've been starting companies, working for startups, etc. for longer, but I never found a company that really grouped all my passions together. My love of film, design, business, advertising (when done right) etc. all comes together with this.

Martin released his own short film a year or two ago and actually made a great financial return on it. Which for a short is pretty astounding. He did it all himself. Locally he's also one of the three go-to steady cam, camera guys. He's a huge gear head but really knows what he's talking about when it comes to sales, marketing and of course, gear.

Tommy is a writer/director. He has a Tarantino like movie knowledge. He's seen every movie. Ever. It's insane. He watches all of the movies that come in, gives us his thoughts and helps out when we need an extra hand. He's our historian.

Sean's our tech guy. He's also got a lot of experience working with Amazon. Sean's been my best friend for years, was the best man at my wedding and started my first company with me back in high school. Every company needs a good tech guy.

As far as location, I completely agree. I love the East Coast. That being said, we've already built into our budgets, travel time. I'm willing, to meet up in L.A. If it's a film that we want to work with, and a filmmaker that we enjoy, I would travel to Mars to meet him/her.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Simple is almost always better.

Also, feel free to answer here as well, but it would be good to put on your website a section about who you (you guys) are as people, behind the scenes. What are your backgrounds. It's nice to know who you're doing business with.

Another one of my concerns would be the fact that I live and work in Los Angeles, and so all of our business would likely be over email and/or phone.

Congrats on starting a business though. I'm a sucker for clean and visually appealing website design, so you've got my attention so far!

This is a difficult question to answer without any details.

I would say that if your goal is to make a quick buck and move on, then we are not the right fit for you.

Dodge.

No filmmaker is looking for "quick cash". The wise among us know that the up front cash is often the ONLY money we see from our films. If YOU aren't putting any up front investment in our films, then that answers the question of what type of distributor you are.

While I would agree with you, that is the typical case:

This is why we give gross to every film maker. A split, no net, no expense reports, no "dodging" as you put it. I myself have gotten burned by a distro. promising backend net cash and never delivering. Our contracts spell it out very clear: gross percentages.

We absolutely put upfront investment into films. At a minimum it costs us at least 10k per release--and that's the shoestring budget. Think of all the things that need to made: from keyart, trailers, websites, social pages to setting up interviews and screenings...

Often times, at the low budget level our marketing budget is more than it cost to make the film.

Dodge.

No filmmaker is looking for "quick cash". The wise among us know that the up front cash is often the ONLY money we see from our films. If YOU aren't putting any up front investment in our films, then that answers the question of what type of distributor you are.

You guys seem honest and upfront, at least compared to most of the folks with similar business models who blow through here on the regular.

I'm bookmarking your site for when I've got a feature. Hopefully you guys will still be alive and kicking by then and we can talk :)

Can't wait to see it. Thanks.

You guys seem honest and upfront, at least compared to most of the folks with similar business models who blow through here on the regular.

I'm bookmarking your site for when I've got a feature. Hopefully you guys will still be alive and kicking by then and we can talk :)

Yep. IT has had our fair share of shady characters strolling through. I think that might be a contributing factor to the negative responses I've seen in this thread.

If anyone is on the fence about these guys, I've had some communication with them, and have done a little imdb research. The dude seems legit to me. Not only are they one of us, but they've had some great success. The vast majority of IT'ers, myself included, would be fortunate to pair up with them. Obviously, the particulars of the contract might change things; I'm just saying that I think they look legit.

Thanks for posting on the forum, Dan. You seem to have a good team, with hearts in the right place. It's always good to see new avenues, especially at a time when the market changes from physical (stores, DVD) to file based distribution. I wish you success, as that may benefit a lot of other people.

I think an up-front check is an unrealistic expectation for people with ultra-low-budget films.

It's a sad fact, I really wish it wasn't that way, though it's often a true reality of ultra low budget films. Most of them have no value, hence shouldn't have an expectation of advances from distributors without working on the value add.

Yep. IT has had our fair share of shady characters strolling through. I think that might be a contributing factor to the negative responses I've seen in this thread.

If anyone is on the fence about these guys, I've had some communication with them, and have done a little imdb research. The dude seems legit to me. Not only are they one of us, but they've had some great success. The vast majority of IT'ers, myself included, would be fortunate to pair up with them. Obviously, the particulars of the contract might change things; I'm just saying that I think they look legit.

Would you mind posting your research of them here? Obviously people are cautious when it comes to distributors that come in the forums for the most part, and although I agree they seem pretty upfront and have experience in the shoes of many of the users here.

However, I can't seem to find information on the other people in the company. Only found Dan's imdb which as I can tell he's never worked with his co-workers before....

It's a sad fact, I really wish it wasn't that way, though it's often a true reality of ultra low budget films. Most of them have no value, hence shouldn't have an expectation of advances from distributors without working on the value add.

I definitely think my film has value, and I think most people in my shoes should say the same. I see other filmmakers rush their film out, as if it has an expiration date. I see no reason to do that, and seeing as how I'm not a master of marketing (FAR from it), I think self-distribution would be like throwing my film into the toilet.

Anyway, if a distributor wants to take on one our films, and that distributor has a history of successful promotion, we should jump at that opportunity! Cash up-front is being offered to a very small number of films, and the majority of them have huge (by our standards) budgets.

I had to turn down an offer for distribution, from a legit indie distributor, because they wanted me to literally give them my film. I was fine with the no cash up front part of it, but they were asking me to sign away my rights to the film, FOREVER! That I just cannot do.

There's got to be a happy medium somewhere in there, and us ultra-low-budget filmmakers should be grateful for, and patient enough to let those opportunities happen.

All very kind of you to say, thank you.

Here ya go:

Martin: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3947015/

Tommy
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3532984/?ref_=fn_al_nm_4

Sean doesn't have an imdb page, since he's a tech guy. But he does have a cool code training site, if you're into that sort of thing: http://square-bracket.com

Would you mind posting your research of them here? Obviously people are cautious when it comes to distributors that come in the forums for the most part, and although I agree they seem pretty upfront and have experience in the shoes of many of the users here.

However, I can't seem to find information on the other people in the company. Only found Dan's imdb which as I can tell he's never worked with his co-workers before....

I love that you are being open and honest, 4ten. Contracts are never easy and just simply defined from the beginning. I work exclusively with independent contractors so I know the details, and with some people the entire contract, have to be ironed out. Each product is different and you have to decide what is best for yourself and the person across the table must do the same.

Thanks! I remember us talking before.

I used to know of a great one, but that company moved. I would find a way to barter with a company that has that access. Shoot a 30 second spot for them--something simple, like an interview--in exchange for using their building and office at night. Most buildings, you just need permission and someone to vouch for you.

I like the ambition. Sounds exciting.

Good luck.

Thanks man.. this part is exactly the sort of thing I'm worried about "I used to know of a great one, but that company moved"

Even if I make a deal with them they might not be around a year later to honor it. I'll figure something out hopefully.

I'm glad to see some people here are starting to take you more seriously. I think you just need one ITer to hop on board and the rest will follow. There are no distributors here on the forum with a good reputation that i know of

While I would agree with you, that is the typical case:

This is why we give gross to every film maker. A split, no net, no expense reports, no "dodging" as you put it. I myself have gotten burned by a distro. promising backend net cash and never delivering. Our contracts spell it out very clear: gross percentages.

We absolutely put upfront investment into films. At a minimum it costs us at least 10k per release--and that's the shoestring budget. Think of all the things that need to made: from keyart, trailers, websites, social pages to setting up interviews and screenings...

Often times, at the low budget level our marketing budget is more than it cost to make the film.

Fair enough. Good luck.

Back