• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need to cut out 30 sec.

If there was sound on that, I'd totally cut it right now - but since there's not, here's what you do.

The first 1:10 can be condensed very easily (especially if you have some extra footage of a moving car). The conversation that the guy & girl have doesn't need to be shown, for the most part. Just some of it, to establish a few things. The majority of it can be done as a VO... while the car is driving, while the guy is walking towards his house, while he's opeing the door.

The girl's gonna lose a bunch of face-time, while keeping the majority of her dialogue.

Why the subtitles, btw? They speaking in French, or is it supposed to be a silent flick, or is the audio just terrible?

You could also just start at :56 and do a few little echoy flashback VO's (His thoughts of their convo) as he pulls in and walks up to the door (You could show her in flahsback too if you wanted), then you are already 56 seconds ahead of the game. Creating the right audio and atmosphere of those flashback/thoughts, and deciding the perfect dialogue so that it comes across would be the task.

-Thanks-

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't sure about first part neither, since it didn't really go with the story, but was more or less a "set up". I'll see what I can do about that.

As far as sound - my camera has bad mic, so Im going to start putting sound over it later on tonight.

And yes, its going to be in french.. well.. more like "mocking french" language (sorry if it will offend anybody). Just because all crazy foreign films look like art, no matter whats going on on the scren - I'm gonna poke some fun at it.

Hey, nice work. Well, I assume this is primarily for an American audience, no? So, do the subtitles really have to match what's actually being said in French? Could you rewrite that openning to cut off ten seconds, or so?

Then, there's other stuff that can go. Do we really need a shot of him unlocking his car door? Do we really need a shot of him walking to the house? Nobody likes watching people walk -- that's boring. You can get all of that done so much more quickly -- we see him exit car, after conversation with girl. We see his car driving for maybe just a second or two, then we see his car pull into driveway and off screen. Now, we see him opening door. Much more efficient.

Then, at the end, do we really need all those cutaways to the fridge? I don't know your plan -- is there gonna be a sound effect, or something? Or, were those just cutaways? If they were just cutaways, I think you could get away with a little montage of jump-cuts of him losing his temper and freaking out. In fact, that scene might benefit from a higher energy-level.

I hope it works out for you. I look forward to seeing the final cut.

sweet. I worked on improving car scene, and got rid off nearly 50 seconds of useless crap by switching around some cuts :) after sleeping on it for a day, and having a second fresh look definitely improves it!

Finishing up with sound this Sunday! And I'll need some harsh criticism..

Okay HotRod, gonna do the best I can. Not an editor but here we go.

Start:
@-00:47 Jump cuts- He opens her door - then closes his - then opens his door - then hes at the house door.

That's probably 20 sec right there. You could even edit the hole opening the house door sequence. Eg. open

door/keys go in/door opens then slow to natural pace, maybe even slightly slow.

Also, this isnt France. Know how I know?? Your labels are in Engerish. And theres probably an

electrical outlet or two that I didnt notice. :) But I think I just bought you 30 secs. in that opening.

I like the concept>

Last edited:
Okay HotRod, gonna do the best I can. Not an editor but here we go.

Start:
@-00:47 Jump cuts- He opens her door - then closes his - then opens his door - then hes at the house door.

That's probably 20 sec right there. You could even edit the hole opening the house door sequence. Eg. open

door/keys go in/door opens then slow to natural pace, maybe even slightly slow.

Also, this isnt France. Know how I know?? Your labels are in Engerish. And theres probably an

electrical outlet or two that I didnt notice. :) But I think I just bought you 30 secs. in that opening.

I like the concept>

I guess you missed his other thread. He's finished with cutting (I think he took out 50 sec, or so), and is now working audio, if I remember correctly.

Murdock: Lol, you ARE been clever with the french thing... perhaps... too...clever.... ? ;)

But thanks for the input though! Its something I really need to be constantly practicing, and shaving off all of the unnecessary fat off the footage..

Almost done encoding the video, and will post it within 2 hours!

Murdock: Lol, you ARE been clever with the french thing... perhaps... too...clever.... ? ;)

But thanks for the input though! Its something I really need to be constantly practicing, and shaving off all of the unnecessary fat off the footage..

Almost done encoding the video, and will post it within 2 hours!

Cool I might try the French thing on that hread...dunno yet. gotta think about it. :)

Cool I might try the French thing on that hread...dunno yet. gotta think about it. :)

Haha! French thing was done just for fun. Little behind the story (if you interested)

While ago I was reading RR's inteview on "El Mariachi", and he said that originally he wrote the movie in english, but he shot it in spanish. After people watched his movie, here in america, multiple critics approached him, and told him that the spanish language made the movie look like art.

SO ..

The mic on my camera is pretty bad, and i coudn't hear anything what I or my girl were saying, so I decided to do all the sound wild. But my computer is very crappy, and can't play back the videos in the editor, without being really slow (makes it a b**ch to edit..), so I just decided to make it "french". That way I don't have to worry about spending too much time on syncing lip movement with dialogs, and hope the viewer will not care that much, since its just looks silly.

By the way, I found out that I can't immitate language to save my own life (or a movie), so I just switched to my native language, russian, and made a bunch of jibberish words.

So now, the movie is taking place in france, they speak russian, but everything has english labels..

And you know what?? That will make my movie look extremely artistic! :-D

Just kidding..

Back