Need help choosing equipment at $2000 budget

Hello!
I did surf posts in this forum and got a lot of information and knowledge.

I love cinematography and would like to shoot short films as a hobby.

What camera, lenses, camera add-ons and lights would you recommend to purchase on the subjected budget that would make it possible to have that FILM LOOK in my future shorts?

I have already constructed a nice track dolly. Have some lights, though not happy with them. Purchased Matthews M25 Tripod.

Please, help me to get the right equipment.

Last edited:
this = The Zoom H4n is a digital audio recorder. The NTG-2 is a shotgun mic for outdoor work;

and this= canon 7D.

these will bring you at like 2.3K, but will make you have the quality of a 10K-30k shoot.

this = The Zoom H4n is a digital audio recorder. The NTG-2 is a shotgun mic for outdoor work;

and this= canon 7D.

these will bring you at like 2.3K, but will make you have the quality of a 10K-30k shoot.

Zoom and NTG already purchased.
I am very reluctant on CMOS lenses, so no Canon 7D...

All 3CCD camcorders with HD and 24P support record on mini-DV tapes. Here comes ANOTHER problem with pouring the video into PC.

The HVR-HD1000U is a fantastic camcorder for $1,800, but it will stretch your budget if your want all those accessories.

Thanks for your advise, but tt has CMOS sensor! I can get XL2 or DVX-100 for the same money on ebay. Both have 3CCD sensors. The problem is they are miniDV and I foresee video transfer issues...

It looks like CMOS and CCD are gone. It is 3MOS that rules now.
I'm back to my list. Panasonic AG-HMC40. It IS over my budget, but I'm ok with that.
Maybe there are other options for A $2000 camera? Native 24P, NO miniDV, NO CMOS.

It looks like CMOS and CCD are gone. It is 3MOS that rules now.
I'm back to my list. Panasonic AG-HMC40. It IS over my budget, but I'm ok with that.
Maybe there are other options for A $2000 camera? Native 24P, NO miniDV, NO CMOS.
Dude, unless you have infinite money, there are always going to be tradeoffs. You are being far, far too picky.

lights

use construction lights, 500w then go onto b&h website and get colour correct bulbs 500w to match, it works.. You can make some metal flags out of sheet metal, use high heat flat black paint on them, and your all set to go for lighting... grab a few c stands 2 of them, and 2 40 inch arms and 2 1/2 inch heads.... to hold the flags.... that is your lighting package, 3 lights will work... its cheap, and it works.... as for cameras, what are you shooting, if its a lot of action, pov, use pro go camera, try to find a good hd camera, some of the consumer cameras will do to start with...
canon d7 is a good start...
for sound, make a boom out of a painters pole, and spend your money on a decent shotgun mike... and a small mixing board..

CMOS = ROLLING SHUTTER = my nightmare.
Smear is the only "problem" of CCD (GLOBAL SHUTTER), but that's so typical for film. That IS a part of a "film look".

No camcorder should have ever been manufactured with CMOS sensors. CCD is the ONLY way!!!

I HATE CMOS sensor!!!

Last edited:
CMOS = ROLLING SHUTTER = my nightmare.
Smear is the only "problem" of CCD (GLOBAL SHUTTER), but that's so typical for film. That IS a part of a "film look".

No camcorder should have ever been manufactured with CMOS sensors. CCD is the ONLY way!!!

I HATE CMOS sensor!!!

So when are you gonna stop making excuses for not making your film? :rolleyes:

You think Peter Jackson dilly-dallied 'til a Canon HV40 (with Letus 35mm adapter) was on the market before first trying his hand at making a film?

You are either making movies, or you're not.

So... what are you doing? :hmm:

So when are you gonna stop making excuses for not making your film? :rolleyes:

You think Peter Jackson dilly-dallied 'til a Canon HV40 (with Letus 35mm adapter) was on the market before first trying his hand at making a film?

You are either making movies, or you're not.

So... what are you doing? :hmm:

I'm making the decision not to regret afterwards. I have my sound gear on its way, and I need to choose THE CAMERA that will NOT create nasty surprises during my work.

I am not dilly-dallying definitely. Currently shooting a draft version of some of my future shots with SONY Cyber-shot DSC-H3. Can you imagine that it is equipped with CCD sensor?

So, from here and Internet research it is now clear to me, that CCD, 24P, HD, FLASH MEMORY - is over $5000, thus, not my hill to climb.

It might sound strange, but the trade off is "CMOS vs miniDV". And since I am going to purchase new PC for editing anyway, I can make it "miniDV-friendly" :)

I did NOT want that option, but seems like the best is to go with used Canon XL2

BTW, is this Rolling Shutter issue mostly DSLR thing or I might see the same with Panasonic AG-HMC40 for instance?

Last edited:
you dont have to have super nice expensive equipment to make a film. Im currently filming with a kodak zi8 and an Audio-Technica ATR25 Stereo Condenser Microphone. i paid $191 for my setup with $27 of that money being shipping and handling.

Back