Need Help ,CGI related

I was interested in some cgi effects ,does anyone know of any affordable software that is half way decent. I am not looking for alot ,just simple effects such as muzzle flash from a rifle ,maybe aome extra blood splatter .

Thanks,
Dr.Sik

I don't know about super affordable, but really After Effects is what you need.

For muzzle flashes you can export the few frames you need into a photo editing software and just paint the flash in. Blood splatter would be a lot more tricky, though.

Your talking composting, not CGI. You dont want FAKE muzzle flashes or blood splatters, you want real footage.. try videocopilot.net "action essentials 2". It has all those visual elements you'll need. Check out the tutorials there too, they will get you going.

composting is so much fun! Youll love it.. Just take your time with the tutorials learn to motion track your footage.. muzzle flashes blood splatters, explosions.. all need motion tracking to stick in the right place.

The short film on your youtube page is awesome , Hardcore spy kids. Was that hk an airsoft ,it looked authentic . I had my own gunsmith shop for a few years , that mp5 was a killer copy , I look forward to checking out more of your work.

yup, burrowed airsoft..

the orange tip was covered with gaff tape.. (if it was mine I would have just painted it!)

Im going for a gas blowback airsoft handgun next.... those look perfect! But you can fake blowback.. heres a test I did.. (following the videocopilot.net tut..of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRNcXorcujY The shot at 04:0 looks particularly like real blowback..

I use gas blow back bb guns when we are on the set , and then I go home and grab the real guns and go to the range and get close up shots of the real weapon cycling ammo and working the action. We also use a demilled sks assult rifle. I do not cross actors with real weapons. Rule #1 safety to humans. Here is a link to one of our videos , I am the one who gets shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWVaFduv8r4

Last edited:
Hey wheat, since you mentioned motion tracking, I have a quick question for you. I noticed in your latest short that some of those motion tracks seemed to be in a place that didn't have a stand-out piece to track, if you know what i mean. Like how when the bullets were coming in through the window, how did you get AE to track that particular part of the window and not skip around to all the similar looking parts? Did you put a sticker or something on the window?

@Dreadylocks

You don't need to track any particular subject in the frame. Just so long as you find a nice contrasty bit near the same focal plane and one that never gets occluded by anything else..

For example in the window explosion "shot" I tracked the intersection of one the small panes in the upper frame.

I of course recommend the videocopilot.net tutorial, specifically numbers 42 and 45. Take the hour or so to run though those and you'll know the secret magic.

Back