• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Sophomore Feature

Hey everyone! This is my first time back since the upgrade. Looking forward to digging around. Also wanted to take a moment to share the trailer for my newest feature, Bleed American:

Good trailer man! I think the music is a touch loud and the dialogue a little boomy (bassy)... as, some things come across as unintelligible which can be hard to grasp for the filmmaker that already knows the words... just an FYI. Best of luck!

Hey, this trailer is very good!
I think the music is a touch loud and the dialogue a little boomy (bassy)

From my point of view, the music is really effective and certainly sets the scene and the tone of the piece. The volume of it is good to start with, but 0:37 - 0:39ish I do agree I can't quite hear what's going on. However, possibly what you could try is just subtly bringing the music down a notch when the dialogue starts ('your mother is very sick, kids') so the audience doesn't notice this is what you're doing.

Reverb and panning are two simple words that spring to mind too. You could play with the sense of space of the soundtrack - try and make it feel further away. Also, rather than bringing the music down, you could try panning it to the back and panning the dialogue forward, particularly if there's only one bit that you want to change (e.g. 0:37 - 0:39).

Just a few thoughts. Otherwise, looks and sounds really cool so well done! 👍

At the risk of sounding redundant, it does look good. 👍

I think the music is a touch loud and the dialogue a little boomy (bassy)

I agree. I'm hearing a lot of "proximity effect" from a very close mic. You could use a highpass filter or EQ on that first guy, to take out some of the bass. A very slight room reverb might help, also.

Interesting that there is no "Directed by" credit, though it does say, "a film by T.A. Manchester." Very cool that you credited the trailer's composer.

@Scoopicman yes, proximity effect, that's what it was. @MinutemenPro , if you are not familiar, that means the sound is changing as the actor changes his proximity to the mic, and this happens at close range, whereupon, as you get closer it gets boomier (bassy and muffled).

@Alcove Audio what do you suggest here to sweeten this, or does it sound okay to you?

The overall EQ needs some tuning up, there not much in the way of other audio and the other sounds in the trailer are buried in the mix. It seems as if the Foley and sound effects rely heavily on production sound and not audio post - the door slams @ 00:17 and 00:40, the "Bic flick" @ 00:30, the glass clinks @ 00:50 etc.

Overall it needs better sounds and a more refined mix. It looks really good and seems to be an interesting film.

Back