My script sucks, yet I'm filming this summer help?!

I started writing the script around 2 years ago. I was so enthralled with what I was writing that I kept and kept writing and making revisions. then finally, I decided to make it into a movie so I bought 1200 dollars worth of props, hired a professional storyboard artist to make each shot become a reality, and now, I've got the cast members set up and crew and I'm ready to make the film.

The only problem is, I realize now that the script sucks. How? Well before, I was so enthralled with my writing (like most beginning writers do) that I failed to see its flaws.

But now, I've got about 5,000 dollars invested in this film SO FAR and I can't call it quits unless I want to fuck up my entire reputation with the contacts I've made.

But basically please don't give me a hard time. This is my first feature film and the news of finding out that my script sucks is making me very depressed because I really thought the script was great.

So do you have any opinions as to what I could possibly do to save this movie? Or Should I just call it all off?

@Phantom they said it was very interesting but didn't really a firm answer on whether it was bad or good. Generally you get "It was interesting" when someone is trying to be nice and in their case, they're probably looking for work so this seems interesting to them for the time being.

Last edited:
Did the people involved in your project like your script? What is it in general terms, without revealing the story, that makes you think your script sucks?

A movie is made three times - the screenplay, the footage shot and the editing. Maybe if you don't feel the screenplay is as strong as it could be then focus on getting the best shots because you never know you may find yourself changing your mind about how you felt about the script once you see it brought to life.

"I can't call it quits unless I want to fck up my entire reputation".

And what if you're right and your script really does suck? And what if all those people find out later that you "knew" it sucked, or at least that you had serious doubts about it, but you went ahead anyway and used their time and efforts pointlessly.

You'd definitely fck up your reputation then!

I think this is one of those cases where things can only get worse unless you make a hard decision now. Bite the bullet. Postpone it until you're happy with your script, and tell all those people why you're postponing it. Some of them will probably be okay with it.

You showed very poor judgement and the fact that you're okay with posting that tells me that you haven't got your priorities right yet. You shouldn't be so worried about your "reputation", so much as your approach to the business.

Sorry, but I don't see any point in sugar-coating it.

Keep in mind that there is a very good chance that your script is in fact great but you're just getting more and more stressed as you're locking down more things and you're coming closer to production . Don't worry that much , posting the script is a good idea.

Why do you think your script is not good? Other people thinks it too? What kind of thing are bad in your script? Characters, story, dialogs? Maybe you can change it and it will be better?

If your not comfortable with posting it here you could always send it to a script consultant.
Have them read it and give honest feedback, will cost you some but it will give you an objective review of the quality of your script. Your entire problem is that you can not objectively review your script anymore: you'v spend too long on it, got too much invested in it to see things objectively. Get outside opinion on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbGDtlaNTQ

#2 Story must be sensible. Audience intelligence for any genré varies widely.
Seek credible second, third, and fourth opinions on the story construct, for
both the screenplay and final editing. Or consider the story just sucks!​

However...

#7 The director's filmography is mostly a cr@pfest, but it's gettin' done, and
because of it's sheer volume will have an anthology life longer than all of the
pie-in-the-sky stories many filmmakers will NEVER get done and out there.

Re http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2480063/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=44510

Your story may stuck.
Begin un-sucking it by rewriting it.
Or just keep making a bunch of them - and keep getting better at it! :yes:

Last edited:
Also...
You may wanna consider slashing the budgetary expense, since you're determined to go through with it with a known sucky script, and use the remainder for a sequel.
This films gonna suck no matter what you do, so...
Think "damage control".

Then you'd have a more marketable two-fer. Eventually.

One $5,000 cr@ppy film
vs.
Two $3,000+ crappy Vol. I and II films​

The latter being a much better option, marketingwise.

But now, I've got about 5,000 dollars invested in this film SO FAR and I can't call it quits unless I want to fuck up my entire reputation with the contacts I've made.
What would be worse for your reputation?

You admit you aren't ready and this script isn't good enough
so you stop now.

You continue shooting and the cast and crew spend weeks
working on what you know is a poor script. Then you have
a bad movie that none of you contacts are proud of.

I'm thinking like a crew member - one of your contacts:
I would rather not spend my time working a movie the
writer/producer/director knows isn't good. I would respect
that person and when a great script is finished I'd be willing
to work on that one.

I would rather not spend my time working a movie the
writer/producer/director knows isn't good. I would respect
that person and when a great script is finished I'd be willing
to work on that one.
+1

Kinda like a guy pushing rope: the girl wants him to just quit, not push harder or faster. Just quit.

doesn't sound like you're spending money in the right places.
there are professional that review scripts and provide constructive feedback.

take a look at good will hunting.
sure matt and ben wrote it. do you think they polished it? no they got a professional to do that for them and to get the script ready for shooting

Sean, I'd be interested in your thoughts on happyboy's question. Do
you think he should continue, knowing the script sucks, or call it off?

You are shooting this summer? It's January. You've got time, rewrite, revise, polish. Find out why you (or others) think it sucks and then fix it. If you are wrapped up in pre-production, find someone you trust or think is good to revise for you. You don't have to stop writing until after you've finished shooting!

My script sucks, yet I'm filming this summer

So you haven't actually shot anything yet? No question - fix your script up, before shooting anything.

Maybe you can still hit your summer shoot dates; maybe not. Either way, don't throw your money away when you have the opportunity to rework the entire thing.

This might not work for every genre, but what I would do is completely lose all the dialogue in the script. as long is the plot is interesting and believable, I would have my actors improvise the dialogue. If they are good actors, this could completely save your film, just strip it to its bare bones. But if your plot is like a crime drama or something, then maybe this wont work at all.

This might not work for every genre, but what I would do is completely lose all the dialogue in the script. as long is the plot is interesting and believable, I would have my actors improvise the dialogue. If they are good actors, this could completely save your film, just strip it to its bare bones. But if your plot is like a crime drama or something, then maybe this wont work at all.

This is never ever ever going to work in a million years.

Sean, I'd be interested in your thoughts on happyboy's question. Do you think he should continue, knowing the script sucks, or call it off?

He needs to get a professional opinion on it's quality, not just some actor that was only reading to see if they liked their part. He already spent $5k, go spend a little more and get meaningful feedback. Maybe he's just sick of working on it after two years.

Okay a straight answer now - assuming that this script really does suck, then if it were me I would not go forward with it. Maybe he has different priorities, and it's a B-horror flick with t&a that he can sell even if it sucks. idk all the details. That's okay with a lot of people, it depends on your goals and ambitions but it doesn't line up with my own vision of a path to success.

Spending all that money in preproduction and abandoning it is a hard pill to swallow, I would only do it as a last resort. I would try to get a professional to rework the story, or if there were even one decent scene I would try to build a short around it.

Last edited:
Summer? You have plenty of time! It's only January.
There are screenwriters who have written entire scripts in just 2 weeks.
You should try updating the script and bettering any scenes you feel uncomfortable with.

The script is only the skeleton to a movie. The filming process makes up the muscle, meat and fat. Finally the editing gives it it's nice luscious skin.
Have you ever seen Taxi Driver?
The script and the final product of the film have ALMOST NOTHING ALIKE.

My point is, don't quit!
It's normal for artists to always be self-critical of their own work.
You've invested so much now so go with it.
At this point you shouldn't turn back, just move on forward.

Back