My camera is shooting in a green fog!

Yesterday it was fine but I couldn't shoot today because of it. I waited a while but the fog has gotten worse. Maybe it just needs a cleaning or something, even though nothing happened to it, that I know of. Any ideas what the green fog could be? If I need to clean the inside, any safety tips? Thanks.

It could be that cause it was cold out. Rainging too. The camera wasn't in the rain, but near it. Probably that. Is the damage permanent? I tried uploading to youtube but have some uploading problems I need to tweak.

Easiest question first: you're not going from warm to cold or vice versa, right? Condensation and all that?

-- spinner :cool:

That was my first thought as well. Are you shooting now or was it yesterday?

If you're shooting now, see if your lens looks misty.

If you were shooting hours ago and if it was condensation, it should be gone by now. Take a few stills and see if the image is clear now.

It could be that cause it was cold out. Rainging too. The camera wasn't in the rain, but near it. Probably that. Is the damage permanent? I tried uploading to youtube but have some uploading problems I need to tweak.

You need to consider the dew point when leaving your camera out in the cold for a long time. The solution for this: lens warmers to keep the temp above it.

It's still there and has gotten a little worse actually. The lens is misty. I cleaned it but perhaps the warmer temperature of now, made the condensation worse? The sensor looks very foggy but I don't want to touch the sensor, afraid of damaging it or something.

It's still there and has gotten a little worse actually. The lens is misty. I cleaned it but perhaps the warmer temperature of now, made the condensation worse? The sensor looks very foggy but I don't want to touch the sensor, afraid of damaging it or something.

Idk know where or why you took the lens off. I dont know how you brought the camera in. In a zip lock baggy, hopefully? If you did, i dont know why you would take it out so soon. I dont know why you have the lens off and are peering into body.

In any case, put the body cap on the camera and leave it alone. Leave the lens alone as well. Give it time. Check on it tomorrow and see if it has disappeared.

If not, take it the camera store. Im not being disrespectful but i know from your other threads that you do not know a lot about cameras. That is why im not suggesting other diy tests or methods. I dont want you to screw up your camera if it isnt screwed up. Just wait and see if it goes away by tomorrow. If not, take it to a camera store where a professional can look at it.

Last edited:
Sure. I will. I did not take the lens off while shooting in the rain. I only took it off today, to check why it was so foggy. The fog is gone now, but the video is still green. I have to shoot again tomorrow, so I hope it works. If not I will see if I can take it to the store in time, before the shoot.

You may require the services of your local priest or exorcist.

*serious face* Worst case scenario, the condensation has reached the inner elements of the lens and left water marks. This will require the lens to be serviced by a qualified technician (i.e. not you), though for the 18-55mm it would probably be cheaper just to replace it.

Leave the lens in a warm, dry place overnight. If it doesn't clear up, take it to a camera shop as the others have suggested.

It's not the lens, it's the camera. I tried a different lens on and it's still green. I'm not going to be able to make it to the camera store before the next shoot tomorrow. They are only open when I work, and close before I can make it there. I'll call them and ask what to do. If it won't fix itself overnight and can't be by shooting time, I will just change the color in post I guess.

Last edited:
Breath in
Breath out

Reset your camera to all its DEFAULT settings, you may have tweaked a color curve or White Balance playing in the menus.

This is a good test to try out but if this happened today, leave the camera overnight. Try it tomorrow. We know we are dealing with condensation at least on the lens since you said it was misty. Same could be true for the body. Let it completely dry out before operating it again.

Btw, if you do these tests tomorrow, check on a few other things:

Is the video entirely green?
Is it a green tint?
Is the image blurry or sharp?
Have you tried your new footage on two different monitors?

Back