• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

multi-cam setup with 1 camera

90% the answer to this will be no... but I'm curious anyway.

Is there a way to have a setup that would seem as it was filmed with two cameras / different angles even with just one actual camera ?

I tried to have the talents do a scene two times... but it's impossible to get the lips syncing perfectly..

Yes. This is the way movies have been made since their inception. One camera, multiple takes and angles. Start with a master shot to get the entire scene. Then get your close-ups and other angles.

I tried to have the talents do a scene two times... but it's impossible to get the lips syncing perfectly..

Fortunately the audience only see's one angle at a time.

So you use the sound from the current angle they're seeing and the lips will always sync perfectly

Oh yes use the actual sound with picture... it's important to get room tone to help make it seamless. If an air conditioner outside kicks on, get room tone with it on AND off. This way if you have one awesome angle with it on, you can add it to the rest. Etc.

The main trick is for the actors not talk over each others lines. Break it up into parts if necessary. If you know you're gonna be cutting back and forth, then you don't have to record each angle in a single take. Does it help to do it in single takes for consistency sake? Yes, but actors get tired along the way. Take notes (mental or written) of which parts of the delivery that you liked and what you would like to be repeated.

this community is so helpful! glad I've asked.

Thanks guys.

Oh yes use the actual sound with picture... it's important to get room tone to help make it seamless. If an air conditioner outside kicks on, get room tone with it on AND off. This way if you have one awesome angle with it on, you can add it to the rest. Etc.

Do you possibly have a video example for this ?

I still can't imagine how I'd cut seamlessly between two scenes (and two audio recordings accordingly) mid sentence for example..

But it's actually a very good point... I've tried to sync the second clip to the audio from the main clip / scene.

I still can't imagine how I'd cut seamlessly between two scenes (and two audio recordings accordingly) mid sentence for example..
Give it a try yourself.

Write a two page scene with two actors. Or use a play.

Shoot a "Master" shot; both actors, full body saying the lines.
Move your camera to shoot them from the waist up. Have them do the entire scene.
Move your camera and shoot an Over The Shoulder on one actor. Do the entire scene.
"Punch in" to a close up of the same actor and shoot the entire scene.
Move your camera to the other actor and shoot an OTS and a close up.

Now you have seven different angles to choose from, each with their own
dialogue track. If you record the audio cleanly you will see it cuts seamlessly.
You will also lean about continuity trying this. The actors must make the exact
movements each time.

Use a slate to mark the scene. Call this Scene 20. Your Master is labeled "20"
on the slate. The next set up is "20A" and the next is "20B" and so on.

As our Founder said, this is how movies have been made for decades.

Give it a try yourself.

Absolutely. The best way to learn is by doing.

If you record the audio cleanly you will see it cuts seamlessly.
You will also lean about continuity trying this.

You should also look into L-cuts and J-cuts. Not every video cut means the audio cuts as well. Editing mid-sentence? Cut to a reaction shot from another character, or to the back of the speaking actor’s head (OTS, reax from the other actor), or some other shot where we don’t see the speaking character’s mouth. The audio extends under the edit, either extending under the following shot (L-cut), or leading the edit under the preceding shot (J-cut).

The final edit will be pretty dull if every single cut is both sound and picture.

Back