Most filmmakers hate their lives.

There's this strange phenomena I've seen. It seems so counter-intuitive. Like, we all get into this business because we love making movies. And yet, the overwhelming majority of filmmakers I've ever met and worked with in real life -- they fucking hate what they're doing!

Can we please stop that? Right now. Let's all make a pledge to never make a movie that we aren't passionate about making. And the more important detail is that we must take steps to make it possible for us to actually have fun while making said movie. That doesn't mean we aren't also planning on making money, but if we aren't having fun, why the fuck are we doing this?! And I happen to be of the opinion that having fun and making money go hand-in-hand in the filmmaking world. So go on with your bad self. Just let your hair down and be silly on set. That's probably the best way to make a profitable movie. :yes:

I guess I should clarify. I'm specifically referring to production. I know quite a few filmmakers who HAAAATTTEEE production. I happen to love production. It's my favorite part of the process. That's when I get to play pretend with all of my cast. But I've been on quite a few of other people's productions in which the overwhelming majority of people are just hating every second of their existence, and they've been vocal about it.

*addendum

I just figured out why I have this different perspective. Most of my professional career has been in the restaurant biz. It's my job to smile at people, so I've become very good at that.

You don't need to smile at people to be a good director of photography or to be a good makeup artist, or whatever. And so my bias made me think that they weren't enjoying their job, but that was just my bias of forcing smiles all the time.

My bad. Please disregard this thread entirely. Or, take it in another direction, pun intended.

Addendum to the addendum:

No, I actually know quite a few filmmakers who are very vocal about hating production. Y'all are a bunch of liars if you pretend this isn't a thing.

Lol, just to be clear, I know that you were just having fun right now, IT. I wasn't ACTUALLY offended. Yes, I've got beer in hand. No, I'm not drunk.
YET!

I think our posts crossed but offended? By beer? Then I am very offensive! ;)

I guess I should clarify. I'm specifically referring to production. I know quite a few filmmakers who HAAAATTTEEE production. I happen to love production. It's my favorite part of the process. That's when I get to play pretend with all of my cast. But I've been on quite a few of other people's productions in which the overwhelming majority of people are just hating every second of their existence, and they've been vocal about it.
I'm glad to say that in all the years I've been making movies,
working stage shows and TV I have never run across people
who are just hating every second of their existence. I'm sorry
to hear that this is the overwhelming majority of the people
you have worked with.

I recently finished 5 weeks on a reality TV show. 12 to 14 hour
days shelping equipment, setting up and shooting under difficult
weather and location conditions. Trying to keep on schedule under
crazy pressure. Not one time did I hear from a crew member that
they hated what they were doing.

I spend yet another NYE working for 10 hours setting up for an 8
minute show and then another 3 hours striking everything. All with
a group of people who have NEVER ONCE been to a NYE party. And
every single one love it!

In all my years of ultra low budget skin-of-our-teeth filmmaking I
never worked with a crew who didn't love it. Ridiculous time frames,
stupid call times, long hours on a no-overtime day rate, crazy low
day rates, poor craft service, pizza for lunch every damn day – didn't
matter. Everyone was there because they loved what they were doing.

Not saying that I haven't heard and done my share of bitching. And
every few shows I'd run across someone who was just a generally
negative person.

Sad for you CF. I hope someday you get to work with the right team.

In NYC, even though I haven't worked on a pro set in awhile, we loved every sec.

There were a few extreme productions which only allowed 3-4 hours sleep a quick shower and back again, but if you don't love it, you simply won't show up.

The term "Most" in the title is seriously depressing, if this is what you experience in your area.

Supposedly Alfred Hitchcock himself hated production - he had already seen the film in his head, and making the film was donkeywork so everyone else could see it.

I'm pretty sure everyone hated filming revenant
also never begin a script with "EXT JUNGLE - NIGHT AND RAINING"

I love every stage of the process, so does everyone I work with. Never met anyone who makes movies and hates it. The only part I don't like as much is budgeting and scheduling. But I love the rest!

Back