Mixing lens brands?

After great input from the community about what size lenses, as well as some encouragement to look outside of the Canon line for a hybrid camera (video/photo), I am leaning toward a GH2 (especially with the awesome 42mbps hack) and hoping to start with three prime lenses, and possibly a fixed aperture zoom. Since the GH2 sensor treats lenses as 2.0x the size on a full frame camera, I was looking at a wide angle lens between 14-16mm (28-32mm), and medium lens of 24-30mm (48-60mm), and a telephoto of 50-60mm (100-120mm).

As I started looking more and more at lenses, I saw that a lot of people are using vintage glass and got excited about the much lower price and, some would say, better build quality. I have heard people recommend a few brands, mainly Helios, MIT, and Takumar. I started looking for these lenses online and began to realize I would have great difficulty getting a set of lenses that were the same brand. I have heard from some people that you should keep your glass consistent so that the shots all look the same. How different do different lenses look? Would you shoot a film with 2 or 3 different lens brands?

In normal lighting conditions, lenses should mix fine.

Newer canon lenses flare less and are a bit more crisp than the vintage bunch. You'll be fine mixing vintage lenses or moxing modern lenses if you aren't shining lights in the camera.

Even then, they're ok to mix, slightly different looks though.

In normal lighting conditions, lenses should mix fine.

Newer canon lenses flare less and are a bit more crisp than the vintage bunch. You'll be fine mixing vintage lenses or moxing modern lenses if you aren't shining lights in the camera.

Even then, they're ok to mix, slightly different looks though.

I disagree. Lenses from different lenses brands and eras have different optics and coatings. It changes things like color profile, sharpness and contrast. While with color correcting you might get away with it, on my footage I always notice the differences and it irks me. I've stopped mixing lenses like that on my shoots and generally stick to lenses from the same era/brand for a project.

It seems from both comments that I shouldn't mix old brands with newer lenses, but that mixing vintage lenses won't be much of an issue.

I am thinking about getting the following (parenthetical contain focal length on GH2 and in 1:1 mode of GH2):
MIR-20 20mm f3.5 (40mm; 1:1 80mm)
Helios-44 58mm f2.0 (116mm; 1:1 232mm) or Helios-103 53mm f1.8 (106mm; 1:1 212mm)
Helios-98 28mm f2.8 (56mm; 1:1 112mm)

I'm slightly worried about the higher f-stop (smaller aperture) than the cannon lenses I was looking at originally. I also do not know if I need the Helios-44/Helios-103 since the Helios-98 goes to 112 in 1:1 mode. This would only really make the Helios-44/Helios-103 necessary for telephoto at ~220mm in 1:1 mode. I also could not find a vintage wide angle with a smaller focal length than 20mm which is not very wide with the GH2 sensor (40mm).

I disagree. Lenses from different lenses brands and eras have different optics and coatings. It changes things like color profile, sharpness and contrast. While with color correcting you might get away with it, on my footage I always notice the differences and it irks me. I've stopped mixing lenses like that on my shoots and generally stick to lenses from the same era/brand for a project.

+1

Also,

Don't try using a yellowed Takumar with a Pentax-M lens. I tried it last Sunday. Didn't work, even though they both have "ASAHI" written on them :)

I believe there's a fix for that, leave the lens in direct sunlight for a few hours and it'll erase that yellow caste. Google for specifics, I've never tried it.

To the OP, about mixing lenses, in a perfect world, I wouldn't do it. But alas, my world isn't perfect so I do it all the time.

Last edited:
I believe there's a fix for that, leave the lens in direct sunlight for a few hours and it'll erase that yellow caste. Google for specifics, I've never tried it.

To the OP, about mixing lenses, in a perfect world, I wouldn't do it. But alas, my worlds isn't perfect so I do it all the time.

More like "a few weeks" than "a few hours", though it does work. even better is...

Take both front and rear caps off the lens, place on top of a piece of aluminum foil shiny side up. Put a "black light" CFL in a clamp light and suspend it above the lens, literally 1" from the bulb touching the lens element. Leave the light on 24 hours a day. In about a week the yellow will be gone.

crazy neato that ^^^?

White balance after ever lens change
Pick lenses because you love they way they look for the scene (not just this shot)
I think mixing lenses that look different is great, so long as you WANT the shots to look different. Think of each lens as a lens AND a set of "fixed" filters and your good.

EDIT: Examples of why you might want a completely different look in the same project... flashback sequences ... can you think of others (the royal you, as in anyone reading this.. )

I guess anytime the "view of the world" was different, after a traumatic event for example. That would actually be a nice technique.

On the "trick", the UV from the CFL is of course WAY less than the sun, but concentrated and 24/7.

A Barbers UV sterilizer gizmo will work too, or the lights they use at nail salons.

Last edited:
I guess anytime the "view of the world" was different, after a traumatic event for example. That would actually be a nice technique.

On the "trick", the UV from the CFL is of course WAY less than the sun, but concentrated and 24/7.

A Barbers UV sterilizer gizmo will work too, or the lights they use at nail salons.

I'm big fan of the Taks, as are a lot of people. I think it's worth the effort to do this. Luckily my 50mm 1.4 didn't have this issue.

Back