Mic stand / boompole recommendations?

I'm looking for a mic stand and a boompole for my shotgun mic RØDE Ntg-4.
Mostly needed for interviews, and boompole will be used for shortfilms too.

I can't seem to find proper comparisons and recommendations so thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance. :D

Are you saying you would use a mic stand for interviews? I would use a boompole for interviews as well, since the subject might lean forward, or lean back, or move... which can cause the mic to be off axis, since you are not aiming the mic at the subject's mouth and moving with them.

You can tell the subject to be completely still, but then they get self conscious about it, while being interviewed.

Guys he doesn't want a mic stand.
He used the words mic stand because he doesn't know what it's called.

I've got you covered asker.

What you need is a C-Stand and then this adaptor

BoomMate_BPH_Microphone_Boom_Pole_277231.jpg

This will allow you to use your boom pole and microphone as a stationary unmanned audio recorder.

But he asked about a boom pole too.
Boom pole and mic stand don't really go together.
Could be. I know I have used a mic stand when shooting interviews many
times. Back then I couldn't afford c-stands so those cheaper alternatives
did the job and there was no need to bring on another person to swing a
boom when the subject was sitting.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

To clarify my needs I need a mic stand/c-stand (I'm not sure what to go for, sounds like c-stand is the right choice) for interviews that I produce as a 1-man team. I wont be able to use a boompole for that. I need a boompole for collaborative shortfilms. I've considered RØDE's boompole.

If you guys can recommend any c-stands that would be cool. Just fyi I'm not really a DIY-guy sorry lol.

Last edited:

To clarify my needs I need a mic stand/c-stand (I'm not sure what to go for, sounds like c-stand is the right choice) for interviews that I produce as a 1-man team. I wont be able to use a boompole for that. I need a boompole for collaborative shortfilms. I've considered RØDE's boompole for my RØDE NTG-4 shotgun mic.

Well I was wrong then :lol:

You would use a c-stand+adaptor to mount a boom pole on it.
If you don't need that kind of length and are okay with the microphone pole only being a couple of feet then get a mic stand instead.

I just use a c-stand. Screw the blimp to the c-stand, shot bag it and go.

I never used the boom pole adapter. The extra piece always seemed unnecessary to me. It's not like you can shoot without a blimp for exteriors. Why use more equipment than you need.

It's about $500-600 for the C-stand, $250-300 for a rode blimp, $30 for a shot bag and you're set. Prices in your area would be different. Apart from the Rode gear, we're always charged way too much for our equipment here.

To clarify my needs I need a mic stand/c-stand (I'm not sure what to go for, sounds like c-stand is the right choice) for interviews that I produce as a 1-man team. I wont be able to use a boompole for that. I need a boompole for collaborative shortfilms. I've considered RØDE's boompole.
A c-stand with a mic holder will run you $160-$200. A mic stand
will run you $25-$50. Did you look at the two I posted?
If you guys can recommend any c-stands that would be cool.
I would recommend THS ONE

A c-stand with a mic holder will run you $160-$200. A mic stand
will run you $25-$50. Did you look at the two I posted?

I would recommend THS ONE

Uhm, I just looked a bit more into c-stands. Is it true they are tough to travel with? I don't have a car, and I'm already carrying a Movi M5 gimbal, camera-bag and a tripod bag.

I basically just need something to be able to hold the mic over someone's head instead of having a boomer. Are you sure a mic stand/boom stand wouldn't be able to make this work?

A mic stand will hold the mic underneath of someone not over their head.

And yes c-stands are heavy. That's what stops them from tipping over.
I would not take one with me to a walking destination.

There is no such thing as a boom stand that I know of. But I love my c-stand and adaptor it's really helpful .

Usually on a c-stand is also a sandbag or two to protect people and your equipment, so, you may want to consider getting what you need for your kit and taking a cab or whatever to the set instead of trying to buy what you can carry for a full shoot.

Are you sure a mic stand/boom stand wouldn't be able to make this work?

I am sure a mic stand would be a better and less expensive option.
I offered two links to the type that you could use.

I would not recommend a c-stand in this case. It was sfoster who
recommended a c-stand. Both are good options. It's up to you
to decide what suits your needs and budget the best.

Are we getting punked here?

Movi M5 gimbal, camera-bag and a tripod bag

and I gather from this list, NO LIGHTS but has a Movi M5, for interviews. But don't forget he's a:

1-man team

but
I don't have a car

Are you serious?

and if you answer, "Yes, but" something's gotta give.

Can you imagine, a guy on a push bike on the way to a gig, leaving behind him a trail of dropped equipment... "I'm late but the footage is silky smooth."

Eventually you have to get a car or cab. Imagine a drummer saying, he doesn't have a car, but he needs suggestions on getting to a gig with his drums, cymbals, and needs stand recommendations. Impossible, if you play a full kit.

Imagine a drummer saying, he doesn't have a car, but he needs suggestions on getting to a gig with his drums, cymbals, and needs stand recommendations. Impossible, if you play a full kit.

Completely off topic -

In the late 70's - early 80's there was a band in London that had no vehicles. As Indie related above, there's a lot of gear for a band to haul through the tubes (subway). So they made a decision to all play keyboards; instead of lugging around a guitar which had to be plugged into an amp, which also had to be lugged around, the keyboard could be plugged directly into the mixing console. That way each band member could carry a piece of the drummers kit. That became the basis for their synth-heavy sound.

Oh, the name of the band?

Depeche Mode

Back