Matte box?

Unless I'm shooting in some sort of epic-level solar-flare daylight, is there any reason to get one of these for stopping lens flare? Will a typical lens hood do just fine?

Many matte boxes can hold additional items - like filters and french flags.

Sure, you can likely just plop a filter onto the actual lens itself... not quite so simple for camera-mounted flags. Which part you gonna duct-tape it onto?

Lens hood can be useful - just sayin', a matte box adds more versatility and choice.

Imo, the bigger the camera (and the more of a hassle to quickly move), the more benefit a matte box is.

Well I'll be using an XH-A1, it has a pretty decent lens hood on it. The only thing I'm really concerned with is lens flare, I can live without all the other options that a Matte Box affords you.

I watch lots of BTS stuff for movies. Almost every outside handheld/steadicam shot has a PA standing next to the camera holding a black foamcore flag. Sometimes, hollywood uses our techniques cause they're easiest... and the technicians came from the same place we are. They are tools in the box.

You can get away with not using them if you're very careful about where you point the camera. Lens flares happen when light from a fixture hits the lens. It shows up heaviest on the side opposite the lens.

You can buy a piece of foam core (art store/ target) and either hold it/ clamp it to a stand to block ("Flag") the light, or do what I've done and cut a chunk out and tape it to the top of the camera. It only needs to stay just out of frame and serves to get you the ability to get the light that much closer (in angle) to the centerline of the lens.

Barndoors on your lights can do this same thing... the french flag is more for shooting out doors.

I don’t know the origin of the term, but when there is a lens flair
and a flag is needed to shade the lens we use “hollywood”

CAMERA OPERATOR
Damnit, I’ll need the mattebox for this. The
sun is hitting the lens. Give me two minutes.

FIRST AC
I’ll grab a flag and hollywood it.

CAMERA OPERATOR
Ready to roll!

“Give the PA a flag and hollywoond it next to the Baby!”

Back