Making music videos

I'm planning to film a music video sometime this year, but I have never done it before. What are some things I must know?

Also, I always thought it would be hard getting the singer's voice matching up to the music. But this should be avoidable (by having the singer sing to the original song file).

Some music videos look as if the singer is mouthing the words, even though their lip movements match the song lyrics. Any idea why?

Share any general tips if you have them!

Thanks

I am also thinking of doing a music video, my initial assumption is you have them actually play the music in each bit of your movie, and then substitute the actual music track over there performance and hope it matches up?

I could and likely am, totally wrong in how to do it.

Yep. That’s the way it’s done. You have the singer lip sync to the
track. The reason why it sometimes looks like the singer is
mouthing the words is because they are. And either doing it poorly
- it’s harder to do than it seems - or the editor didn’t sync up
the audio well.

In just about all cases even the band itself aren’t playing the
instruments. It's very, very rare for the audio to be recorded
during the production of a music video. The exception being
a live concert.

I have found it helps to have the singer actually sing (not at full power, no need to waste their voice) during shots rather than consciously lip syncing. Most of the time it works better for the timing and looks more genuine.

Make sure you get a locked down version of the song to use during both production and for the edit. It can help if you use the same file for playback that you are going to cut to. Have an iPod or something with the song on it, and someone dedicated to playback.

Also, "story side" scenes of a music video can just be shot and cut to the music later. Only really need playback if there are specific cues, the band/singer is on screen performing, or dancers or something. Random couple making breakfast in the morning light doesn't need to be shot with playback. Just did a 2 day music video shoot where we had no playback at all, on purpose. We shot it like it was a short film, and the director is cutting it to the music. No shots of performers, no specific music cues == no playback/sync to worry about. :D

Last edited:
I have found it helps to have the singer actually sing (not at full power, no need to waste their voice) during shots rather than consciously lip syncing. Most of the time it works better for the timing and looks more genuine.

Make sure you get a locked down version of the song to use during both production and for the edit. It can help if you use the same file for playback that you are going to cut to. Have an iPod or something with the song on it, and someone dedicated to playback.

Also, "story side" scenes of a music video can just be shot and cut to the music later. Only really need playback if there are specific cues, the band/singer is on screen performing, or dancers or something. Random couple making breakfast in the morning light doesn't need to be shot with playback. Just did a 2 day music video shoot where we had no playback at all, on purpose. We shot it like it was a short film, and the director is cutting it to the music. No shots of performers, no specific music cues == no playback/sync to worry about. :D

I've always wanted to do a music video (I don't think my equip is up to snuff, though maybe indie bands will take a chance just to get name out there). I know I've edited stuff for home use with tracks (that will NEVER see the light of the internet), just for practice.

I've always wanted to do a music video (I don't think my equip is up to snuff, though maybe indie bands will take a chance just to get name out there). I know I've edited stuff for home use with tracks (that will NEVER see the light of the internet), just for practice.

The upside is that if you are doing it for fun with an existing song then you don't need any audio at all! What song were you thinking of doing? You should go for it :)

I've always wanted to do a music video (I don't think my equip is up to snuff, though maybe indie bands will take a chance just to get name out there).

Go for it! :cool:

If you spend 30 minutes looking for local bands on MySpace (or similar), and then 30 minutes writing emails to them asking if they'd like a music video made - albeit by a rookie - you'll get a dozen replies sayin', "Yes please!"

Of course, that does raise the issue of paying for the production. You don't want it to be out-of-pocket (you can do all the practise you want, for free, by yourself), so someone's gonna have to cover some costs. The costs don't have to be extravagant. Just look at how many videos are of bands playing in a parking garage, for example.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm planning to get the singer to sing the entire song a few times at different locations, and then film the "story side" clips separately.

And Tinalera, I think you should go try make a music video! It would be exciting, haha. A good thing about making MVs is that you don't have to worry about the audio on set. Which means you won't need a high-end microphone to make your video look professional.

Also, I'm doing this for a friend - she sold copies of an EP (profit went to Darfur) at our school. Her band's MySpace page if you're interested: http://www.myspace.com/suneskimos

Right now, the filming's for fun... from a student's point of view, haha.

I agree with Steve; the bands are out there looking for videos made with any level of gear and some decent thought and technique. Great way to get practice directing or shooting or editing, whatever your schtick might be.

Best advice you'll ever get on making a music video:

Whatever you do, don't make a video as bad as Ke$ha's Tik Tok.

Thank you.

Oh and check out this video that probably cost under 2Gs to make but looks good and is cool (plus, I helped teach the bass player how to play the bass in jr. high)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlko9hSVK6Q

Last edited:
ive shot several music videos and yes directorik is right,

it comes out better if the artist is actually singing (or rapping whatever) the lyrics...

also I wanna add on to what ROC was saying, doesnt take a huge budget to make a good video, just have people that know what they are doing..

we've made videos spending no more than $200-300 total with lights that we bought at home depot and wal-mart that look better than videos Ive seen that musicians have spent upwards of $10 grand for..

Last edited:
Back