• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Love = Building on Fire

Quite liked it, the script and acting were pretty good and it was shot well although the lighting seemed a little harsh in places.

The narrative didn't really go anywhere outside of being a little vignette of an encounter between two characters which was kind of interesting enough in itself - but maybe because you promised a surprise ending I was expecting a bit more of a twist or something when instead it just got slightly surreal and that was about it

I'm surprised you called it a comedy as it wasn't really funny, that's not a bad thing - it worked without being funny but I found the music was a little intrusive - I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be ironically cheesy or not - particularly the first montage. If it was, then it seemed slightly at odds with the rest of the tone, which didn't really feel "comedic" as I said.

Hope that's some help!

First of all, I would rethink revealing there is a surprise ending before people have tried watching the film. I personally don't enjoy having my interest peaked in that manner

Now the film

I would've have liked there to have been a little more light at times. It can be great to create a murky atmosphere, but there should still be definition on the points of interest in the frame, especially if that face is covered in something dark!!!

I think the piece was performing a lot better before you introduced the Pretenders and created a montage. The mood felt like it completely shifted away from something that was really interesting. Their quiet interaction, the softening of her resolve, his innocent nature, all of these things felt a little undercut by that shift.

I think the sound recording of the dialogue is really strong, but things like the alarm, police siren and music are misjudged.

There are some great elements here, and I would be keen to see what you could do with this story when approaching with different aesthetic priorities

Greetings and salutations from Vancouver BC, Canada....eh!

...Life = Building on Fire is a two person Character Driven, Romantic Comedy Short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKl9M-GefE

Quality drama is about surprises you don't expect but thoroughly enjoy each time they come. The surprises here were real, original, and thoroughly enjoyable. The characters had a humanity seldom seen on the big or small screen.

The people behind this production are seasoned professionals, no other explanation makes sense to me. This is not anyone's "First Short" by any stretch of the the imagination.

I do have one question, however -- the ending music seemed a little out of place. Too hard and rocker-like.

Quality drama is about surprises you don't expect but thoroughly enjoy each time they come. The surprises here were real, original, and thoroughly enjoyable. The characters had a humanity seldom seen on the big or small screen.

The people behind this production are seasoned professionals, no other explanation makes sense to me. This is not anyone's "First Short" by any stretch of the the imagination.

I do have one question, however -- the ending music seemed a little out of place. Too hard and rocker-like.

...I will ask the writer/director to respond...

That was an interesting film. I think I get the message, but am not totally sure. Borderline experimental.

The two actors did a great job.

Why did you change directors halfway through? Was it shot in sequence? Was it intentional that, at times, it seems to be more of a stage-play than film? (I'm not just meaning about the way the fire was done, btw.) How much did clearance run for the tunes?

The only thing I did not care for was occasional lighting. Particularly when the two are first seated on the sofa.

Good flick. :cool:

btw, not sure what the reference to surprise ending is all about.

Nice concept, well executed. Good actors. Set and lighting passable. I love the title. Not sure what the surprises were.
I wrote a feature once about hooker with a heart of gold.

Btw it's not really funny. I wouldn't call it a comedy.

Another thought, the actress didn't look like a hooker, but it just proves again that performance counts more than looks.

Last edited:
yeah not bad, but let's face it nothing special. i have made over a hundred movies plus I have a film degree so I know what I'm talking about.

Do you have any of your works for us to see?

I like the short. I really liked the interaction between the two actors; they did a really good job. I'm not sure what the ending was supoosed to represent and the lighting was too dark and unflattering. But as mentioned above, I'm pretty sure you have learned from it.

Pretty well done man. Interesting that you had two people direct different halves, how did that come about?

Overall, well acted, well framed. A little dark, but I think dark fit the mood. Nice!

...Love = Submitted to a Provincial Competition last week

btw, there is a teaser w/ the film too.

...Alec Hanham is nineteen years old.....His second short film.

I liked the story very much. I did not care for the music. I did not care for the undulating cellophane.

The thing was well done as a whole. Could have used more light at times. I enjoyed this short very much.

Back