Looking For Surreal Movies

I'm looking for some films that use lots of surreal ideas, imagery and the like because I love surrealism but never seem to find anything surreal in any form of medium other than art (Dali and such)
If you're gonna reccomend, just don't mention David Lynch, I have loads of his stuff already (just need to get Lost Highway and Eraserhead)

I don't know if Reqium for a Dream counts, but to me it was pretty surreal. Also, unlike other surreal stuf I've seen it had a story I could follow.

I don't know if I would count it as surreal or not but it's definetly a movie I want to see. Partly cause it looks really good and partly cause I wanna watch as many of Darren Aronofsky's (sp?) films as possible before watching 'Black Swan'.

Scott Pilgrim? It's very stylised surrealism, but I think it's damn good.

I think there was a similar thread where I recommended the works of Luis Bunuel...

Scott Pilgrim? It's very stylised surrealism, but I think it's damn good.

I think there was a similar thread where I recommended the works of Luis Bunuel...

I need to watch that at some point. It just does nothing for me as far as "wow I really want to see that", but I'm sure it has good elements in it.

Scott Pilgrim's great :D I love the visuals and the humour, certainlly surreal in those aspects (surreal comedy/humour is quite difficult to find)
Bunuel, I've been meaning to check out his works, the obvious stuff like Un Chien Andalou and stuff like The Exterminating Angel and things like that

I need to watch that at some point. It just does nothing for me as far as "wow I really want to see that", but I'm sure it has good elements in it.

I'm not really a comic book movie kind of guy. I'm not even particularly an Edgar Wright fan. But this movie was awesome. I recommend watching it on the biggest screen possible and with the loudest speakers.

I'm not really a comic book movie kind of guy. I'm not even particularly an Edgar Wright fan. But this movie was awesome. I recommend watching it on the biggest screen possible and with the loudest speakers.

I am a big comic book fan (Sin City, Oldboy if manga counts, the new Batman films, Watchmen, V For Vendetta etc.) and a huge Edgar Wright fan (I love everything he's done :P ) so I guess that made me love it more.
I agree about big screen and loud speakers, the audio/visual aspect of the film was probably my favourite (:

Me neither. I am however friends with Eric Powell who does "The Goon", so hoping to smooze my way on set if/when the finally get greenlighted for their film.

I'm looking for some films that use lots of surreal ideas, imagery and the like because I love surrealism but never seem to find anything surreal in any form of medium other than art (Dali and such)
If you're gonna reccomend, just don't mention David Lynch, I have loads of his stuff already (just need to get Lost Highway and Eraserhead)

You know Dali dabbled in film, right? He worked on Un Chien Andalou (The Andalusian Dog) with Luis Bunuel. Both of those guys, and many other surrealists were contemporaries of folks like Andre Bazin who later founded "Cahiers du Cinema" and redefined the way we examine films. There's definitely a historical, if not natural connection between surrealist art and cinema.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahiers_du_cinéma

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020530/

In fact, if you want to watch surrealist films, Bunuel is a great starting point. Particularly his earlier stuff, like L'Age D'Or.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000320/

Along with Dali, Bunuel was the center of a major surrealist cinema movement in Europe in the late 20s and early 30s. Tons of stuff there for you to seek out if you haven't seen it already.

Max Ophuls dabbles slightly in surrealism, but not strictly a surrealist. "La Ronde" is worth the watch though as he treats the audience/film relationship with an interesting and slightly surreal approach.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0649097/

Hope that helps.

And where ever did we put that thread where folks were against studying film history? :no: :D

One might notice that there is a direct line between the surrealists of the 20s and 30s and the French New Wave that comes later. Goddard and Truffaut were writers for Cahiers, and students of Bazin's who was a contemporary of Dali, Bunuel, Earnst, and so on. Well, maybe not Earnst, can't recall if he was in that part of Europe at the time.

Last edited:
Park Chan-Wook, is a must. Be it Aranofksy, Bunuel etc have already been mentioned.

"Surreal" is too widely associated, however, what is it you're hoping to find?

Park-Chan Wook is great :D

Like, the unlogic (for want of a real word) in surrealist things, the nightmares. Mainly the imagery and experimental elements that come with it that are what draw me to surrealism (:

Park-Chan Wook is great :D

Like, the unlogic (for want of a real word) in surrealist things, the nightmares. Mainly the imagery and experimental elements that come with it that are what draw me to surrealism (:

Brilliant. It's very much the genre of cinema that we wish to pursue, so do know that i'm glad it's equally appreciated among others. Similar styles, it appears :)

Another delightful watch is, Luc Bessons - Angel-a.

Although not strenious to the genre, it has a foothold in the door, and is undeniably well-crafted.

You know Dali dabbled in film, right? He worked on Un Chien Andalou (The Andalusian Dog) with Luis Bunuel.

I LOVE surrealism.. I HATE most of Un Chien Andalou. has a few moments, but YUK !

Wait for my upcoming short, Get Charley.

Dodeskaden, Weekend, Breathless, My Life to Live come to mind

I just watched a movie the other night called Tetsuo The Iron Man and it was crazy awesome. Yeah the plot didn't make a lot of sense but the cinematography was excellent. Takashi Miike is a favorite director of mine that incorporates a lot of surrealism into his works. My favorite film of his is Happiness of the Katakuris. The best musical ever!

I LOVE surrealism.. I HATE most of Un Chien Andalou. has a few moments, but YUK !

Wait for my upcoming short, Get Charley.

Dodeskaden, Weekend, Breathless, My Life to Live come to mind

Nice list. Weekend is one of my favorites in that vein, right up there with Contempt.

Not really surreal in itself, but Hitchcock's Spellbound has some dream sequences that were based on Salvador Dali imagery.

Back