Looking for Some Directors

Hey all, I'm looking for several different types of directors, ones that are similar to the following.

Takashi Miike
His dark humour, bloodletting and large spectrum of genres, looking for guys like that who are willing to go a little outside the box and be slightly weird.

Dario Argento
I guess what you could say I'm looking for here is "Arthouse Horror", stuff that's horror at it's core, but uses various arthouse style elements or gives off that kind of atmosphere.

David Lynch
I love Lynch. His movie "Eraserhead" was one that made me wanna try films myself.
Looking for guys with powerful, possibly non linear plots, although this is not a neccessity. But my favourite thing about Lynch is his surrealism, so directors with a surreal influence would be great.

Many thanks :)
Sam

So, are you wanting recommendations to other directors movies that fit these criteria?? Or do you want directors to direct something you're working on??

Peter Greenaway
Ken Russel
Jean Vigo
Jean Cocteau

Have you ever seen Alejandro Jodorowsky's "El Topo"?

I think the Brothers Quay might fit and, of course, Buñuel

So, are you wanting recommendations to other directors movies that fit these criteria?? Or do you want directors to direct something you're working on??
Looking for directors to fit that criteria, any stuff I do I'll be directing ;)

Maybe Alejandro Jodorowsky? (Check out Holy Mountain)

Gotta love Visitor Q. :yes:

-Thanks-

I've heard of him, but not watched his stuff, what other films has he done?
I've not seen Visitor Q, although I do want to, I doubt my parents would get it, only sixteen ;D

Peter Greenaway
Ken Russel
Jean Vigo
Jean Cocteau

Have you ever seen Alejandro Jodorowsky's "El Topo"?

I think the Brothers Quay might fit and, of course, Buñuel

I've not heard of any of those top 3 or the Brothers Quay.
I have heard of Jodorowsky and Bunuel, although I've seen none of either of their films :\
And which of the three I mentioned are the top 3 you mentioned similar to (if that makes sense)?

Hold off on Visitor Q for a few years. Your parents find that in your collection and they'll put you in some kind of institution. :lol:

When the time comes and/or it's cool with your folks, there is a nice selection of Asian films (Tetsuo, Rubbers Lover, Meatball Machine, Electric Dragon 80,000 V , The Guinea Pig Series -just to name a few) that are all kinds of strange and interesting.

-Thanks-

Hold off on Visitor Q for a few years. Your parents find that in your collection and they'll put you in some kind of institution. :lol:

When the time comes and/or it's cool with your folks, there is a nice selection of Asian films (Tetsuo, Rubbers Lover, Meatball Machine, Electric Dragon 80,000 V , The Guinea Pig Series -just to name a few) that are all kinds of strange and interesting.

-Thanks-

I certainlly agree about Visitor Q hehe.
I really wanna get Tetsuo, it looks great, I really like the look of a lot of Shinya Tsukamoto's films (Tetsuo, Tetsuo II, Vital). The only others I've heard of there are the Guinea Pig Series. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it isn't all torture or something?

Peter Greenaway
of course, Buñuel

I went to the Reina Sofia museum in Madrid earlier this year. They had Un Chien Andalou playing over and over in a tiny room. I sat and watched it a few times just to see the expressions on the visitors faces, most of whom hadnt seen it before.

Guinea Pig Series is mostly gore (Maybe some torture in there I forget), but the special effects make up they were doing in it like 20 years ago was pretty intense.

If you like Argento you might like some of the other classic Italian horror like Lucio Fulci's City of the living dead and stuff by Mario Bava (And others), they have a real gift for macabre.

In other realms there are things that (To me) just have a certain feel, like Russ Myers stuff and John Huston/ Tennessee Williams Night of the Iguana that is cool to check out too.

And of course along with all the many visual and style paths there are to explore, don't overlook or under estimate the foundation of solid story telling in stuff like The Twilight Zone .

There are alot of classic films that I bet your parents would be delighted to know you were interested in, and that might sound tame or like boring and old stuff, but in many films the reaso they are classics is because what they did was so utterly bad ass that it blew people away back then, and in many cases remains so utterly bad ass that it would probablly just flat out kill people if done that well today.

Some stuff was so cool that it can never be done again or ever done better, they just nailed it to the side of forever and left it there in a state of perpetual coolness waiting for you to discover it.

-Thanks-

Guinea Pig Series is mostly gore (Maybe some torture in there I forget), but the special effects make up they were doing in it like 20 years ago was pretty intense.

If you like Argento you might like some of the other classic Italian horror like Lucio Fulci's City of the living dead and stuff by Mario Bava (And others), they have a real gift for macabre.

In other realms there are things that (To me) just have a certain feel, like Russ Myers stuff and John Huston/ Tennessee Williams Night of the Iguana that is cool to check out too.

And of course along with all the many visual and style paths there are to explore, don't overlook or under estimate the foundation of solid story telling in stuff like The Twilight Zone .

-Thanks-

I've heard good things about Bava, I saw a box set of some of his films (Black Sabbath, Kill Baby Kill and two or three others) so that might be worth checking out.
Not heard of Lucio Fulci. Film reccomendations?

I do love the Twilight Zone, I wanna try some of those elements in my stuff, but don't know how. I'd wanna try using it's sense of irony and fairly dark humour, but struggle writing it.

Back