• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting Kit for First Short Film

I am planning to make a short film with my Canon gl-1. I saw this kit on auction site for around $180. Does it look like it would get the job done. Here is a brief description of what is in the kit:
This is a brand new professional digital fluorescent Video Photography compact studio kit that gives you over 2000 watts output This kit comes TWO LARGE 16"x24" softbox for your lights and ONE 16"x16" easy softbox for you hair. You could you two 4 light heads as your main light and the one 105watt as your fill light or hair light. Light output is adjustable with 2 light or 4 light outputs. You could use them in the studio photography or videography as well as on location projects.
Here is the list of things they provide for $180.
8 x 45w light bulbs 5500K
1x 105w light bulb 5500k
3 x 6ft tripods
2 x 4 Light Heads
2 x 16"x24" softboxes
1 x Boom Stand With Arm and Softbox
1x 1 light head
1 x sandbag
1 x Carrying case

Does this look about right or is it too much, too little? Thanks for your input.

In my experience CFL's never seem to put out as much as they advertise. If they say it's like 1000w light, I would expect it to match a 300-450w Tungsten fixture.

That said,a couple of softboxes for 180 is a great price.

In January I bought some used lightson eBay, and if prices are sti the same I'd recommend this route. I bought (prices include shipping).
$70-90 ea - Lowel Omni Lights. Some came with stands, barn doors, etc. I snagged one for $45 that was just the fixture, had to get a power cable and accessories.
$8 ea -Spare 500w bulbs
$8-15 ea - Assorted umbrellas. 36" and 42" white and silver.
$15 ea - Stands, if your fixture auction doesn't include one. They're cheap, but it's the same stand you'll get in the fluorescent kit.

So for about $220 you can get pro, name brand quality tungsten fixtures and umbrellas which will give the similar soft look of a soft box. I actually spent about $500 at the beginning of the year supplementing a few existing odds and ends and now I have a kit with 2 Omnis, 2 Totas, a Pro light, 5 regular stands, a boom stand, sandbags, clips, clamps, stingers, dimmers and cases, etc. Probably about $700 total, but buying brand new in a kit it would have been closer to $2200. I was on eBay for a few hours a day for almost 2 weeks to get the deals haha.

My next light purchase will be some Fresnels or similar. All of my lights are pretty washy, would be nice to focus them more. Still, if you can find a deal on tungsten I think you won't outgrow them as fast. Some flourescents are ok, but the quality ones are like kinoflows and similar that cost a pretty penny.

I decided not to go for the $180 kit, but they have been available with no bids the past few days. Sort of taking from Paul's idea, I broke the kit into pieces and looked for the best prices for each of them and found I could get a little better price. The only thing that might add up buying the items seperately like that is shipping and handling charges. Also, I'm not familar with which are the generic, cheap brands and the name brands yet.

I think I will just pick up some a little at a time and add more as I go.

Back