Let's analyze John Carter

Does Battleship provide us with a new dead horse to beat?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3445&p=.htm

"Battleship opened in second place with a meager estimated $25.35 million. Among recent Hasbro adaptations, that's a fraction of the three-day start for the first Transformers ($84.9 million) and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra ($54.7 million). It's also worse than middling alien invasion movies like Cowboys & Aliens ($36.4 million) and Battle: Los Angeles ($35.6 million), and is remarkably lower than star Taylor Kitsch's March sci-fi debacle John Carter ($30.2 million). The audience was 57 percent male and 55 percent under the age of 30, and they awarded the movie a fine "B" CinemaScore.

Adapting a naval strategy board game in to an alien invasion movie always seemed like a questionable choice to movie bloggers and the like, and previews only served to exacerbate that sentiment by making Battleship look like a cynical attempt to get in on some of that Transformers money. In this case, though, the real nail in the coffin was The Avengers—audiences had and continued to turn out in droves to see the legendary superhero team prevent aliens from leveling Manhattan, and Battleship's aliens-at-sea premise really had no chance of competing."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=johncarterofmars.htm
John Carter
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $72,157,379 26.5%
+ Foreign: $200,600,000 73.5%
= Worldwide: $272,757,379 Week #11

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm
Marvel's The Avengers
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $457,665,517 38.8%
+ Foreign: $723,300,000 61.2%
= Worldwide: $1,180,965,517 Week #3 (in the U.S.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=battleship.htm
Battleship
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $25,534,825 10.6%
+ Foreign: $215,300,000 89.4%
= Worldwide: $240,834,825 Week #1 (in the U.S.)

Nah.
Thankfully that foreign sales revenue is going to save their bacon from Battleship's roduction budget of $209 million.
But it's going to be a squeaker to break even with P&A costs.

Headzup: Mo' from Hasbro...
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/127147

Ouch.
http://io9.com/5890887/michael-bays-ouija-movie-is-back-from-the-dead-with-a-95-budget-cut

I liked it. It's not a great film of course, but it's decent. I can't exactly shed a tear for Disney (read: evil corporation)(well, probably not so evil, really...after all, ain't they the ones delivering incredible spectaculars like the Marvel live acton films that old people like me could only have dreamed of when we were kids? Etc.) I will shed a tear, if only a symbolic one, for Rich Ross. I hate to hear of, or be confronted with the reality that show biz is a business of sharks (Okay, that's pretty much how it is in the workaday world that the rest of are a part of as well. Sigh). After all, why should he have to fall upon his sword? Sounds like baloney to me. It's a good enough film, damn it. It just didnt' hit --largely for reasons that are largely out of anyone's control, as a number of posters have already said.

You can't win them all, right?

Hey, don't let anyone else know, I like people to think I'm a mean old S.O.B. But the truth is that I'm a romantic at heart. John Carter delivers on the romance. Give me some romance, and there's a decent chance you'll hook me.

I liked the lizard-dog. They did it just right without overdoing it. But, when the lizard-dog comes and bites the bad guy's amulet, Carter should have given him a "good boy."

It might have been nice if there was just a little more bonding melodrama between Carter and his surrogate green mother. But I realize the movie's already long enough.

I really like the title, "John Carter." But in retrospect, as others have pointed out, maybe it would have been better marketing sense to call it Mars Wars, or something.

I like the leads. I think Taylor Kitsch did a nice job and was an asset to the film. I do suppose that the film may have benefited from for a big name actor though. I kept scrutinizing him, wondering if he was really James Olyphant. Anyway, I think he did a fine job and I wish him lots of fruitful work in the future. If I was big time, I would be glad to cast him as a lead. Same goes for the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
Broke down and spent $24.99 (with Amazon's free shipping + no tax) for the BluRay 3D John Carter (4 disc set)... so add another couple of dollars to that Total Lifetime Grosses, rayw!

LOL. Hope they drop the price on The Avengers & Prometheus BluRay 3D 4 disc sets too...

Those sets and BluRay Skyfall with Batman 3 for wife, Resident Evil: Retribution (3D for son) will use up all our 2012 budget on must have movies. Not rich. Sorry Titanic 3D and Hunger Games... Sorry Battleship, MIB 3, Dark Shadows and Spidey.

WWZ and IronMan 3 along with Ender's Game, Savages, Django Unchained and Hobbit 1 & 2 look awesome as top 2013 movies to buy!

Anything to add rayw? Your my new $$$$ source! LOL.

'Battleship' Vs. 'John Carter'

'Battleship' Vs. 'John Carter'
http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=battlejc.htm

Although JC has the lead I believe over the next eight weeks 'Battleship' may come out in the overall lead of assorted revenue categories.

EDIT: Nope.
Doesn't look like that's happening.
'JC' remains the less stinky heap of dog sh!t of the two. Yay, winner!

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the LA Times says that people can dissect the trailers and give a movie bad buzz, which would destroy its fan base , and it uses the examples of John Carter and Green Lantern.

I'm a bit of a fan boy, and, while I didn't see anything about the trailer for GL, I did view some of the online comments. Most were bad. I also bought the DVD animated version, which wasn't that great, and so I didn't bother going to the movie, even though I am a GL fan.

I just found this film self indulgent. That is what happens when you give $300 million to a fan boy. It wasn't a bad movie. Andrew Stanton just focused on the wrong things too long and on the right things for two little.

I'd give it 6/10.

I have had several words to say on John Carter (as book series and a movie that waited for technology to catch up so it could be made) on this thread. Appears that there is an investigative 'book' about the 300 + million dollar film. The final word? Maybe. Maybe not. I watched the movie again last night, in 3D on my home system (big screen, 3D/HD & surround sound). Still thought it was a great movie. Wish for the sequel(s) (Gods of Mars & Warlord of Mars) could be made and done as well as JC or better. Oh well.

Guess we will live in comic book(s) realm/world on the screen... for the next few years, anyway... Batman trilogy finale this week, Spiderman reboot last week, with Iron Man 3, Thor 2 & Captain America 2 plus Guardians of the Universe... oh joy! (that's sarcasm) in store for 2013.

The book is HOLLYWOOD vs MARS

Maybe, but I doubt it, this will be the final word on old, John Carter and the Hollywood system that made it a bomb?

Back