Leap

Leap3NewLogoBW copy.png

Backstory:
I've completed three independent feature films, plus countless shorts and adverts. My first feature was a no budget slasher I shot in 2007 for a budget of $600 called "Wulf". It played a few festivals and then I buried it, considering it my trunk novel. In 2009, I turned my back on horror and decided to be the Christian I considered myself to be. I still wanted to make movies and had an idea to combine parkour and the last days into a movie that was ultimately called "Leap".
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.21 PM.png

I shot it in 2009 on MiniDV (a Canon ZR800) for a budget of $200. I spent three months teaching my actors parkour and they did most of their own stunts. It screened at a local theater and we sold 200 DVDs. Let's be honest though- it's bad. My heart was in the right place, wanting to share what I was finding in my own personal Bible studies with the rest of the world, but it was poorly executed.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.32 PM.png

In 2010, I made the sequel, "Leap: Rise of the Beast". It was the first feature film shot on a Canon Rebel T2i and we only had the kit lens. The budget was $2000 and continued the story I began in the first film: a group of college kids trying to save the world while the Vatican hunts them down. My goal was to make a Christian version of the Bourne series. We had a theatrical screening for it, sold 100 DVDs and then I stuck it on YouTube in 2012 and it now has over 1.5 million views and has made over $10,000 over the past ten years. Most of that money has gone toward purchasing better equipment because hey, tax write-offs :)
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.47 PM.png

Immediately after Leap 2 came out, I wanted to do something different before finishing the story. So I wrote a supernatural Christian thriller but everyone kept begging me to do Leap 3 next instead. I caved and wrote the script called "Leap: Revelation". It picked up in the middle of Leap 2, followed a new parkour crew and took us to the end of the world. The only thing stopping me from shooting it was the financing. I figured that I'd need $20,000 to do the movie on a "low-budget" while paying for actors and a few key crew members. Unfortunately I never raised the funds.

The past ten years saw me being homeless, getting a dream job as a VFX supervisor, losing everything I owned (including my dog) in a house fire, rebuilding my life, getting a wife, a new dog, and moving back to Montana. Now I run my own production studio called Pyro Studios and I feel like I'm at a point where I want to revisit this material again. I've grown a lot as a person and as a filmmaker and finally feel like now is the time. I've been keeping a production journal on my computer and I'll be sharing that here.

I hope it is useful and I welcome you all along this journey.

-Chris

Ten Years Difference
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.16.58 PM.png

Last edited:
With the disclaimer that I'm TERRIBLE at trailers, a few thoughts.

The images are great - really. I do think it would benefit from trying to tell a bit more of the story, perhaps a little bit more lighter stuff at the beginning (kids on monkey bars are great) building toward tenser moments. Perhaps the "I don't know honey" woman could come right after the young woman "the answers might be in here"?

Also the early music feels a bit intense. Maybe a bit lighter earlier and build it up?

Again, it LOOKS great but just feels like it could use a bit more emotional build, whether or not you decide to tell a bit more of the story.
This is great feedback, thanks!!!

Had McKenna come over today and do her ADR. Took us about two hours which isn't bad. I also showed her the new trailer I'm working on and she loved it. Now I have to go edit for a client which kinda sucks because my new soundbar came in today and I really want to test it with either Top Gun or Avatar.

IMG_9763Web.jpg

Last edited:
Back