• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Las Vegas IndieMeet - May, 2010

WHAT?
A bunch of filmmaking/artist types come to Vegas, for 3 days, to mingle, eat, drink and share knowledge.

WHEN?
Memorial Day weekend - May 28th-30th. (This is the 6th year)

WHERE?
N/W Las Vegas. (PM me for the address.)

COST?
No charge, but bring $5 for pizza, during Saturday demos. There will be food at all times! :D

vegasindiemeet@aol.com

Words can't do the IndieMeet justice. To see what these are like, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2femfFH_3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2femfFH_3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Basically - kick back, bring your best short movie and/or do a presentation, preferably 15 minutes or less.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

FRIDAY, May 28th

6pm - Hors D' Oeuvres, meet and greet.
8:00pm - Shorts by FEWDIO (presented by David Schneider and Paul Hungerford)
9:00pm Guest shorts/comedians
10:00pm Feature movie ONE LONG DAY (premiere by Keith Mosher, cast and crew)
11:30 - 2am (approx.) - Short films

SATURDAY, May 29th

1:30pm to 7:30pm - presentations, demos....and pizza!
8:00pm - More FEWDIO shorts (presented by David Schneider and Paul Hungerford)
8:40pm - Feature movie, BIO-SLIME (premiere by John Lechago)
10:00pm - Guest shorts
10:30 - Feature movie, THE BACK ROOM (A premiere, presented by Tim Stover, cast and crew)
12:00pm to 2am (approx.) - Short films

SUNDAY, May 30th

1:30pm (approx.) - Several of us will go see PRINCE OF PERSIA.
5pm to 9pm - Barbecue/pool party at Sheila's mom's house (nearby).
10pm to 2am (approx.) Back at main house, for Short films & fire.

Other short movies include:

ADAM FUNN (by Bradley Wilson)
SHUTTING DOWN (by Clarke M. Smith)
ESCAPE FROM DEATH PLANET (by James Cadden)
CHECKING IN (by Steve Gelder)
RAVEN: RAMPAGE (by Kelly Johnston)
WHO GOES THERE (by Jonathan Aldebot)
SPACE BUGS (by Jesse Blanchard)
Guest shorts and more...

Lodging:

Anyone with a sleeping bag is welcome. Otherwise: NEAREST HOTELS:

Santa Fe Station
TEXAS STATION
Fiesta Rancho

All 3 on Rancho Drive. (All within 4 to 5 miles.) Additionally:

Cannery Hotel (7 miles, but a straight shot down Craig Rd, to the house.)

Check out the many pictures on my public profile, at:
INDIEMEET FaceBook!

Last edited:
I went in '06 and this is one of the coolest, most laid back gatherings. And yet people like Barry Green who does all the Panasonic DVX and HVX videos showed up to do a demo!

Will be there this year; unsure of accomodation plans just yet.

Just get here and we can figure that out. If you don't mind sharing a room, it's no problem.

I went in '06 and this is one of the coolest, most laid back gatherings. And yet people like Barry Green who does all the Panasonic DVX and HVX videos showed up to do a demo!

Funny, because I was thinking how cool it was that Sonnyboo came to show HORRORS OF WAR! Yes, Barry is very cool.

:lol:From the "Cloning" thread:

I just wonder how we would all react to see each other in person-would all of our "ideas" of what a person is like be crushed?:lol:

The indiemeet does sound like a good idea, though I wonder if indie filmmakers can be kind of reclusive in nature(I know I can be that way sometimes ;))

You would be just fine. After witnessing a few meet ups, I can tell you that there are some reclusive people in the group. In fact, the guy who originally helped put this together, Richard McClure, is a very shy person. He comes out from Bakersfield and has been to about 4 meets, yet he has never got up to talk or do a presentation. He doesn't like when I point a camera at him! However, he likes to aim it at us. Richard loves to stand in back and take it all in. He really enjoys being the voyeur.

It's like public speaking - some people are very afraid of it, while some others won't shut up. :lol: Since it lasts for 3 days you can really ease into it. Some people drop by for a single day, while others go the whole 72 hours. If you want to just sit, relax and snack on some goodies for the entire time, you can.

By contrast, there was one IndieMeet in Texas. I wasn't there, but they decided to shoot a feature over the weekend! They broke into 4 or 5 groups and each shot a selection of scenes. All together, the scenes became the movie, THE ANCIENT. No matter how the movie turned out, you know those people didn't have a slow minute.

I don't like frenetic rushing around, so there is an emphasis on relaxing and seeing people's work. It's more like a film festival. Everyone has been super nice. Though there was a pretty goofy marshmallow fight, one year. :D

:lol:From the "Cloning" thread:

You would be just fine. After witnessing a few meet ups, I can tell you that there are some reclusive people in the group. In fact, the guy who originally helped put this together, Richard McClure, is a very shy person. He comes out from Bakersfield and has been to about 4 meets, yet he has never got up to talk or do a presentation. He doesn't like when I point a camera at him! However, he likes to aim it at us. Richard loves to stand in back and take it all in. He really enjoys being the voyeur.

It's like public speaking - some people are very afraid of it, while some others won't shut up. :lol: Since it lasts for 3 days you can really ease into it. Some people drop by for a single day, while others go the whole 72 hours. If you want to just sit, relax and snack on some goodies for the entire time, you can.

By contrast, there was one IndieMeet in Texas. I wasn't there, but they decided to shoot a feature over the weekend! They broke into 4 or 5 groups and each shot a selection of scenes. All together, the scenes became the movie, THE ANCIENT. No matter how the movie turned out, you know those people didn't have a slow minute.

I don't like frenetic rushing around, so there is an emphasis on relaxing and seeing people's work. It's more like a film festival. Everyone has been super nice. Though there was a pretty goofy marshmallow fight, one year. :D

That sounds great. Nice to know my reclusiveness wouldn't put people off, probably just "Eh, the way he works :lol:" I know what you mean about public speaking, I used to love doing it, yet now, I like being quiet and off camera (as I said in another thread a long time ago, I will disguise myself if I have to be on my own camera testing out shots;)) Yet others can go and go and go without stopping.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for future indiemeets...and to remember to bring my camera, just in case!

Bump!

I've only attended Mike's Indiemeets, vicariously, through past threads. I would recommend that anyone who is able to attend, do so. It always seems like fun, and informative, times.

Hope you have a great turnout, Mike and Sheila!

Two weeks to go! I have now edited the original post with the schedule and links, so scroll up.

The beauty of the IndieMeet is that there is no ulterior or profit motive. The people that show up are the true lovers of Indie filmdom. That said, the lineup has really shaped up with David Schneider, writer and director of STARK RAVING MAD (starring Seann William Scott and Lou Diamond Phillips). Writer/director, Paul Hungerford, who started out acting in shows like SEA QUEST DSV and also STARK RAVING MAD. Garo Setian, producer of SPACE PIRATES and full time editor at Lionsgate studios. Indie guys, like Jeff Palmer (ON THE FRINGE and THE SLEEPING DEEP), as well as those listed in the schedule. There will be a squib/charge demo by a professional pryotechnician, a Canon 7D demo, camera language technique and much more.

We still have plenty of time for any of you, who would like to teach us something. By no means, do we have all the bases covered. The more you know, the more we would like you to come.

Don't wait until the last minute, as the address is private and phone # unlisted. Just PM or email me, and I'll happily hook you up with the info.

Zensteve, are you still thinking of going? Get your sleeping bag ready! So far, there are two people pitching tents in the backyard - Jason Kelly and Jeff Palmer (ON THE FRINGE and SLEEPING DEEP). They are welcome inside, but they want to rough it, for some reason! :D

I had an outstanding time hanging with Zensteve!

28789_1290757396332_1452157702_624477_7997900_n.jpg

The squib/torso demoes were done by licensed pyrotechnicians. Do not attempt.

28789_1291487334580_1452157702_626186_6473728_n.jpg

28789_1291487534585_1452157702_626190_5191118_n.jpg

28789_1291487614587_1452157702_626192_7897128_n.jpg

28789_1291487654588_1452157702_626193_3275195_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dinner is served. 100 people showed up Friday and Sheila went through 10 batches of chocolate chip cookies to try and keep up!

30698_1491535613721_1393923861_31333497_1394221_n.jpg

Three tents went up in the backyard:

28789_1290756596312_1452157702_624460_1957775_n.jpg

Three more people slept in the EXILE garage set, and another in the motorhome.

28789_1290757476334_1452157702_624479_1133073_n.jpg

28789_1290756876319_1452157702_624466_117392_n.jpg

IndieMeet_02.JPG

Last edited:
This really embodies the spirit and community of indie film making to me.

Hats off to you and the family (and everyone) for the work and dedication that
goes into making it happen.

-Thanks-

It was a lot of fun. Thanks again, Mike & Sheila, for being so accomodating. :)

Got to see a bunch of great shorts, as well as two of the three premiering features.

LionsGate's official trailer-cutter (forgot name) was there, too. Very interesting listening to him talk about how (and why) the trailers were designed/cut, as he played them.

Didn't get a chance to talk to the Fewdio guys. :(

I'll be back next year, if I can. Heck, maybe with my own presentation on something.

Good times. :cool:

Did someone say VEGAS?

Man, I love Las Vegas, but today is when I found that this was going on. So I guess that means I should shoot for next year? Can anybody take part?

-- spinner :cool:

Didn't get a chance to talk to the Fewdio guys. :(

I'll be back next year, if I can. Heck, maybe with my own presentation on something.

27854_114741315236354_100001014592117_83305_1607158_n.jpg

David, from Fewdio (above), said that they will be back, next year. FX man, Steve Neil is supposed to come, too. He has worked on everything from LASER BLAST to GHOSTBUSTERS. His page:

sneilFX

I really liked having you and look forward to anything that you want to present! On some of the other boards, I'm bragging about how "Zensteve" from Indietalk was there! Next time, you should come to the Sunday pool party. Unpredictable as the rest of IndieMeet! Some shots:

Before someone panics, this mock head smash was Debi's idea! Rusty (background) and I just had to make it look good!

30698_1491536893753_1393923861_31333523_3435685_n.jpg

Sheila grilling:

30698_1491536853752_1393923861_31333522_5290581_n.jpg

Kelly, Scott and Debi poolside:

29454_115091948534624_100001014592117_84633_754027_n.jpg

We ended up seeing BIO SLIME, Sunday night, as the presentations went way over the end time.

I guess that means I should shoot for next year? Can anybody take part?

Yes, you or anyone from this forum is welcome to take part. You can show a short film (Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights) and/or give a presentation on anything pertaining to media arts. Technically, it's a private event, as all attendees must get the address from me, or from a friend who is going.

Back