Is working with a shitty artist a bad idea?

In general, I'd say limit how much your name is associated with crap. Corporate jobs have me making terrible stuff all the time, I just try to keep people from finding it through searches. The big deal is that when someone good does try to hire you, they don't want to see a previous work that is bad.

I work on not-so-great projects all the time. I run a business, and if I pick only great projects I wouldn't work very much. I feel that my efforts make any project on which I work better than it was, and I take pride in that. I also do during those sessions what I do here - educate my less than experienced clients about the power of sound and give them advice on how to make their next project better. Some listen, and their next project is better.

So brettzdamn, make the video, and do the absolute best job that you can, and take pride in your work. The only thing you've got wrong so far is your use of the term shitty. So what if they're not Pearl Jam or [fill-in-the-blank]. They're not shitty, they're just not superstars, and they're having fun, and that's what it's all about. And you have to be careful; they may not be great, but neither were the Sex Pistols, and they certainly made a huge impression on the music industry.

I work on not-so-great projects all the time. I run a business, and if I pick only great projects I wouldn't work very much. I feel that my efforts make any project on which I work better than it was, and I take pride in that. I also do during those sessions what I do here - educate my less than experienced clients about the power of sound and give them advice on how to make their next project better. Some listen, and their next project is better.

So brettzdamn, make the video, and do the absolute best job that you can, and take pride in your work. The only thing you've got wrong so far is your use of the term shitty. So what if they're not Pearl Jam or [fill-in-the-blank]. They're not shitty, they're just not superstars, and they're having fun, and that's what it's all about. And you have to be careful; they may not be great, but neither were the Sex Pistols, and they certainly made a huge impression on the music industry.

Well yeah but when i said shitty i mainly ment like his songs are recorded badly and have bad quality.

Two different things going on here:

Working for a living and building a reel.

I suggest when you are starting you only show your very
best work. If the band you make a video for is "shitty" then
do not show it to anyone - do not include your name if it's
on YouTube. But making the video is good experience.

If you are being paid then take the gig no matter how "shitty"
the band is. A job is a job.

Well yeah but when i said shitty i mainly ment like his songs are recorded badly and have bad quality.

If you're going just off this, then it negates everyone has ever said about equipment quality an the importance there of on this board.

Based on that, why should HE use YOU to shoot his video when you aren't shooting with a 3D RED rig or on 35mm?

I still say do it, unless you're going way out of your way or losing sleep to make time for it.

If you're going just off this, then it negates everyone has ever said about equipment quality an the importance there of on this board.

Based on that, why should HE use YOU to shoot his video when you aren't shooting with a 3D RED rig or on 35mm?

I still say do it, unless you're going way out of your way or losing sleep to make time for it.

nope not loosing any sleep on it. Its a friend of myne that lives across the street i guess its good practice either way so im going to do it then just strip the audio for a demo reel. Or even maby ill tell him to go record the song at an actual studio so that way the video comes out better.

Back