is this possible?

i need something to link up multiple cameras to the same input....

in other words, i want to have multiple running cameras connected to the same feed, but only one shows up at a time and i have a way to control when they transition....

am i making any sense, i cant think of a better way to say it...

KVM switches maybe?

There's also input-select boxes you can pick up at Radio Shack for next to nuthin'.

KVM switches are for computers, i don't know of any kind that work with multiple cameras.... i need to be able to at click alternate cameras....

picture a live feed if you will how they alternate threw cameras, i need to be able to do that...

------------EDIT-----------------
thanks grinner! thats what i was thinking off, didn't know what they where called!

now i just need to figure out how to get one, what type of production switch i want, and what makes them good and bad.... and need to find a decent one for relatively cheap...

do places rent these?

Last edited:
yes composite is fine, but i need to link up at least 4 cameras i don't know anything to look at... could some one help me pick one off from the radioshack site?

Yeah those are good if you need special transitions like dissolves and wipes, but if you just want cuts, all you need is what I posted.

Maybe this is a silly question, but I didn't see anything about why you need to do this live...

Can't you shoot all the footage from the various angles and do the cuts in post? I know Premiere has a wickedly cool multi-camera edit mode, and I'm sure other NLEs do too, but even if you just had to drop each camera onto its own video track and do it that way it would work..

Unless there is a definite need to cut it live... Is it for a live broadcast?

helping set up a band house that will be live, and it will be showing them on some flat screen TV's on the sides and above the stage.

i just needed a cheap way to do this, it really has helped a lot!

helping set up a band house that will be live, and it will be showing them on some flat screen TV's on the sides and above the stage.

i just needed a cheap way to do this, it really has helped a lot!

Gotcha, well then that does make a difference. You probably will want something a little better than the multi-input switch boxes, as those tend to not switch cleanly every time, there is often a bit of a glitch when switching sources with them.

It would be worth the extra investment for a nicer video switcher/mixer. Or you might be able to track down an old Amiga with the newtek video toaster on ebay for cheap.. :)

Other things to look at would be software intended for VJing, in particular Arkaos. And CutFour (www.avtake.com) looks like it would be worth checking out too..

Back