• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is "superhero film" a genre?

Is "superhero film" a genre? 'cuz I didn't get the answer to it. If my story is a mix of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and it has people with specific superpowers, how should I identify the genre?

Is "superhero film" a genre? 'cuz I didn't get the answer to it. If my story is a mix of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and it has people with specific superpowers, how should I identify the genre?

"Superhero" and "Action Hero" are where the waters get muddy.

Is "The Punisher" a superhero or an action hero? He didn't have anymore special powers than Batman ...but Batman is still considered a superhero. Ironman was just a really smart guy in a hi-tech suit. And technically The Incredible Hulk was only a superhero half of the time.

BTW: Superman should NOT be a superhero. Technically he shouldn't even be listed as a "hero". A true hero is someone who risks life and limb to save other people's lives. If you are indestructible, ...then what exactly are you risking by grabbing a child from a burning building? He should only maybe get credit for not being lazy for walking into the house to grab the damned kid.

-Birdman

You don't have to risk your life to be a hero. Someone who confronts their rapists, wears a wire, gets a confession and prevents the same thing happening to other people.. i consider that person a hero

SUPERheroes have SUPER powers.
They are different than regular mortal everyday heroes.

And technically "superheroes" would be considered a subgenre of the SciFi/fantasy genre. ;)

SUPERheroes have SUPER powers. They are different than regular mortal everyday heroes. And technically "superheroes" would be considered a subgenre of the SciFi/fantasy genre. ;)

...Iron Man is Tony Stark. Tony Stark is human. He is mortal. Mortals die. His suit is hi-tech. He has ZERO super powers, yet he's considered a superhero just like Superman.

...Batman is Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is human. He is mortal. Mortals die. Batman has ZERO super powers, yet he's considered a superhero just like Superman.

...Birdman was a superhero. He got his super powers from the sun god, Ra. He could fly via bird wings (non tech), shoot lasers from his fists and project a solar shield for defense. His weakness was he had to recharge using solar radiation. He was probably the first "Green Superhero". He also had his faithful eagle sidekick, Avenger, which pulls at my heartstrings.

You don't have to risk your life to be a hero. Someone who confronts their rapists, wears a wire, gets a confession and prevents the same thing happening to other people.. i consider that person a hero

Anyone who confronts their rapists, wears a wire, gets a confession and prevents the same thing happening to other people is placing their life in jeopardy. They are taking a risk. If it wasn't dangerous ...why would they be wearing a wire?

BTW: Nobody would be able to rape superman.

-Birdman

...Iron Man is Tony Stark. Tony Stark is human. He is mortal. Mortals die. His suit is hi-tech. He has ZERO super powers, yet he's considered a superhero just like Superman.

...Batman is Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is human. He is mortal. Mortals die. Batman has ZERO super powers, yet he's considered a superhero just like Superman.

...Birdman was a superhero. He got his super powers from the sun god, Ra. He could fly via bird wings (non tech), shoot lasers from his fists and project a solar shield for defense. His weakness was he had to recharge using solar radiation. He was probably the first "Green Superhero". He also had his faithful eagle sidekick, Avenger, which pulls at my heartstrings.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah.
Iron Man and Batman tech are everyday REAL things.
And normal people don't require hospitalization after doing the stunts that they do using fantasy tech. :rolleyes:

Iron Man and Batman are not heroes.

Not true. You could totally sodomize him with a Kryptonite dildo. Yes, I spend waaaaay too much time contemplating such matters.
LMAO!
I think Zod was looking for a piece of his @as!

Last edited:
This is probably the single greatest sentence ever posted in the history of the internet.

..."I invented sodomy" -Al Gore

Not true. You could totally sodomize him with a Kryptonite dildo. Yes, I spend waaaaay too much time contemplating such matters.

...I should have expected a reply like this from a poster named, "Lucky Hardwood".

Iron Man and Batman are not heroes.

...Did you mean, "are not superheroes"? I say they ARE heroes because they can end up in a hospital (just like stuntmen). Hell, you can't even get a needle under superman's skin. However, they are NOT super heroes because their powers are not supernatural. Hi-tech is not "supernatural".

I think Zod was looking for a piece of his @as!

...Wouldn't that be "Zodomy"?

-Birdman

And you give me grief for pointing out that Kryptonite is his weakness in a way that relates to the statement that I was refuting.

Don't hate just 'cuz I got a cool screen name. :cool:

I can do anything I want to. I am BIRDMAN ... I have (((SUPEHERO POWERS))).

And yes. I would agree that anyone jumping through all the EPA hoops and related government regulations just to score some Kryptonite probably wouldn't have "fashioning it into a dildo" as their #1 priority.

-Birdman

Since we have already derailed this thread way beyond the pale, I will point out that Kryptonite is a crystal and, just like quartz, can naturally grow in a shape that closely resembles a dildo. Thus, no shaping required. If you feel the need to point out that would be hard corners and potentially sharp edges, I would just point out that anyone planning to butt rape Superman with a hunk of Kryptonite is not likely concerned about causing him injury.

Anyone who confronts their rapists, wears a wire, gets a confession and prevents the same thing happening to other people is placing their life in jeopardy. They are taking a risk. If it wasn't dangerous ...why would they be wearing a wire?

BTW: Nobody would be able to rape superman.

-Birdman

Okay first off you said 'hero' not superhero here.
And second off, why would they be wearing a wire?

Can you really not imagine why someone would wear a wire and try to get a confession out of their rapist?

Do you think an accusation is all it takes to convict someone.
what world do you live in

Last edited:
Okay first off you said 'hero' not superhero here.
And second off, why would they be wearing a wire?

Can you really not imagine why someone would wear a wire and try to get a confession out of their rapist?

Do you think an accusation is all it takes to convict someone.
what world do you live in

You edited out the line where you asked me "don't you even think before you reply?". I think if you re-read my response, your question would more apply to you.

-Birdman

You edited out the line where you asked me "don't you even think before you reply?".

-Birdman

Yes because i felt like I was being an ass with that line :lol:
I edited it to take things down a notch. anyway apparently what I said still went over your head but thats okay, nm lets go back to talking about raping superman

further edit: i apologize if i did get out of line. the whole rape scenario thing wasn't hypothetical it was something that a friend of mine went through recently

Last edited:
OP, "superhero films" would be more of a sub-genre of either science fiction, action, or fantasy. So, if you were making something like Superman, Action/Fantasy would be suitable. If you're making something like The Dark Knight, Action would be suitable. If you're making something like Iron Man, Science Fiction/Action would be good.

Just to let everyone know...

A superhero (sometimes rendered super-hero or super hero) is a type of fictional stock character possessing extraordinary talents, supernatural phenomena, or superhuman powers and dedicated to protecting the public. A female superhero is sometimes called a superheroine (also rendered super-heroine or super heroine).

No, you do not have to have supernatural powers. You can also or instead have extraordinary talents or superhuman powers. One could argue that some of the things that Batman and Iron Man are not out of the ordinary, but I beg to differ.

I think being in a robot suit alongside other intelligent robot suits and Don Cheadle while fighting either Mikey Rourke playing a terrorist or super-natural fire monsters somewhat counts as "extraordinary talents" or "superhuman powers". IMO.

You and Ray both worry me when I think about what it would be like to see what is in someone's brain. I fear that I'd end up like Jeffrey Goines :no:

I can do anything I want to. I am BIRDMAN ... I have (((SUPEHERO POWERS))).

Oh, we know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRepW0fO5KA
http://www.bubbleblabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/harvey-birdman.jpg

Last edited:
Back