• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is "superhero film" a genre?

Is "superhero film" a genre? 'cuz I didn't get the answer to it. If my story is a mix of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and it has people with specific superpowers, how should I identify the genre?

Yes because i felt like I was being an ass with that line :lol:
I edited it to take things down a notch. anyway apparently what I said still went over your head but thats okay, nm lets go back to talking about raping superman

further edit: i apologize if i did get out of line. the whole rape scenario thing wasn't hypothetical it was something that a friend of mine went through recently

...I'd rather you left it in. I have very thick skin.

You don't have to risk your life to be a hero. Someone who confronts their rapists, wears a wire, gets a confession and prevents the same thing happening to other people.. i consider that person a hero

...You said you don't have to risk your life to be a hero. My argument is that anyone who needs to "wear a wire" or is "confronting their rapist" is probably already in a dangerous situation. That makes them a hero because they are placing themselves "at risk". Superman never places himself at risk because he's indestructible.

A true hero is someone who risks life and limb to save other people's lives.
-Birdman

...At the beginning of this thread I said, "Risks life and limb". That means a qualification for being considered a "hero" is the potential for suffering personal harm. Thusly, ...your friend IS a "hero".

-Birdman

Last edited:
they confronted them in a coffee shop with police nearby.. i don't think it was particularly dangerous. it's more about being willing to put yourself out there in a very uncomfortable situation, and expose publicly what you've been through.

Oh, we know.

dc_issues069.jpg

...Everyone is a Superhero, Chimp.

Tagline: "You'll believe a bird can fly!"

...Yah, I guess that wouldn't be a very good tagline for "Ostrichman"

-Birdman

Last edited:
Guys, I was talking about the movie genre)))

But if we're touching the superheroes themselves, I have to say that all the existing superheroes are superheroes. Superman, Batman, Ironman... all of them. It doesn't matter that Ironman and Batman are just humans without their suits. What makes them superheroes, is that they are based on comics superheroes. They are symbolic.

Now back to my story. The characters have certain powers, but they don't wear suits, and they don't take symbolic names like Batman, Superman, Ironman and etc... They are just Jacob, Edward... but they can do some unusual things. So I don't know if I can call them superheroes, and so the genre. Can I?

Guys, I was talking about the movie genre)))

As I had stated, super-hero films are subcategories of other genres, particularly science-fiction and action.

Now back to my story. The characters have certain powers, but they don't wear suits, and they don't take symbolic names like Batman, Superman, Ironman and etc... They are just Jacob, Edward... but they can do some unusual things. So I don't know if I can call them superheroes, and so the genre. Can I?

If they are just serving as characters who serve justice, without identifying themselves as superheroes, having extraordinary powers, and/or having superhero names, then no, I would not identity them as superheroes. Also (assuming the production does not have science fiction and/or fantasy elements), I think you should label the production as action.

Could you...

1) Give the title and brief synopsis of the story?
2) Give a quick blurb about the characters and their skills?

Thanks.

Ok
They have superpowers.
The superpowers are basically for supporting combat. No time manipulations or other divine bullshit.

1) - One can use incinerating light rays (a few meters forward, because further they weaken and fade). Wields energetic sword and shield.
2) - Other has telekinesis and a force shield. Telekinesis is harder on bigger objects.
3) - Third can unleash sound/sonic/shock waves (a few meters forward, because further they weaken and fade). Wields energetic dual swords .
4) - Illusionist. Can animate up to 2 living beings for 1 minute. They dissipate if he's disturbed. Wields energetic harberd.
5) - And there is one with a Chained Fire Whip, which is his melee weapon.

As you can see, almost all of them need melee weapons to fight, because their powers don't make them invincible. Energetic melee weapons are made of an energy substance (fictional), that can form into a solid steel. The powers the people have are the manifestation of their personalities and desires. For example, the girl who liked to manipulate and control - gets a telekinesis.

But the story IS science fiction/fantasy. There is a different realm on Earth, which use an alternative technology based on the energy mentioned above.

Last edited:
why unnecessarily debate . need to entertain and make money , just do it.
Why should one make this discussion point at intellectual level.
Intellectual is , just make people like it and make money.

I don't mind what super hero means , just make profit of him. keep it real in business,or else you will die because of hunger.

I don't mind what super hero means , just make profit of him. keep it real in business,or else you will die because of hunger.
You know, when I submit my query to agencies or companies, I need to state a certain genre, or a certain mix of genres. Otherwise it is not serious.

Ok, they have superpowers...

I wouldn't label the film/screenplay as a superhero film, but rather an action/fantasy film.
Ok

I'm going to do a super hero action comedy :)
… sometime.. but it's going to take me like a year because I have to go all christian bale mid-movie transformation and I don't think anyone else would make that level of commitment to the role

...Well, because this just happens to be a "Discussion Forum".

And if you don't care what the difference is between a "Superhero" and an "Action Hero" and a "Sci-Fi", then you won't know what genre to accurately place your movie.

If I took your advice to heart, then maybe we should also list Captain Jack Sparrow and Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger as Superheros? After all, there's no real qualification for "Superhero", somebody made people like the movies and the movies made money, right?

-Birdman

1) - One can use incinerating light rays (a few meters forward, because further they weaken and fade). Wields energetic sword and shield.
2) - Other has telekinesis and a force shield. Telekinesis is harder on bigger objects.
3) - Third can unleash sound/sonic/shock waves (a few meters forward, because further they weaken and fade). Wields energetic dual swords .
4) - Illusionist. Can animate up to 2 living beings for 1 minute. They dissipate if he's disturbed. Wields energetic harberd.
5) - And there is one with a Chained Fire Whip, which is his melee weapon.

The movie is sounding an awful lot like X-Men meets Iron Man.

Ok, they have superpowers...

I wouldn't label the film/screenplay as a superhero film, but rather an action/fantasy film.

I would agree with Chimp on this one. Although if you do an internet search on "Wolverine" he pops up as a "Superhero", but I think this is more in line with the desire to sell related toys.

-Birdman

Personally, I think this kind of film/book/comic is now so prevalent that it merits its own genre, one which probably is a subgenre of a few others.

Also, there is often a distinction between superpower films and superhero films. A character can have superpowers without being a superhero (have you ever seen the British TV show Misfits?), and a character can also be a superhero without having superpowers (Batman etc). Obviously some superheroes have superpowers too, but for me, the super- bit of superhero means 'over and above normal' rather than 'supernatural'. Batman has no superpowers, but has a dazzling array of money, technology and armour at his disposal. I'd say that is 'over and above normal' for a vigilante.

I'm baffled as to why people so urgently feel the need to fix a genre for their work though. Is there a filmmaking reason?

The movie is sounding an awful lot like X-Men meets Iron Man.

Yes, it has something similar to X-men. The difference is that in X-men, there are certain people who have powers, and others can't, no matter what they do. It's genetical.

In my idea, these powers can be mastered by absolutely everybody. The reason that many don't, is because they don't know about it. No faith - no powers. And there is a powerful organization, which job is to establish religions, so that people will NOT discover their potential: If all people had superpowers, there would be chaos and anarchy.

Yes, it has something similar to X-men. The difference is that in X-men, there are certain people who have powers, and others can't, no matter what they do. It's genetical.

In my idea, these powers can be mastered by absolutely everybody. The reason that many don't, is because they don't know about it. No faith - no powers. And there is a powerful organization, which job is to establish religions, so that people will NOT discover their potential: If all people had superpowers, there would be chaos and anarchy.

There are always powerful organisations in these things. It's so cliched. I wish someone would come up with a superpower story that doesn't involve a secret/powerful organisation (well, other than Misfits).

No.
A marketing via classification reason.

I figured it would be something like that, but classification where? Are films really marketed by genre? I don't think I've ever encountered that. If a film/TV show looks good/funny/interesting/amazing, then regardless of genrea I'll want to watch it. If it's labelled with a genre that doesn't interest me, then it's more likely to put me off. Maybe that's just me.

There are always powerful organisations in these things. It's so cliched. I wish someone would come up with a superpower story that doesn't involve a secret/powerful organisation (well, other than Misfits).

I think some cliche are good to use. Powerful organizations are like police in our real world. Do you imagine a world without police?

Well, it can be without police (organization), but that will be a Post-Apocalyptic movie. My story is not about that. There are superpowers, and there are guys who should control it. Otherwise people will do whatever they want.

Back