Is artistic talent enough?

And I am referring to all media. Is talent enough to make it, or is it more about who you know. I found out for myself that it IS who you know, and very little about what you can do. But thats just one opinion.

What have you found?

Talent is definitely not enough...

You have to factor in personal drive and dedication, self-marketing, timing, and who you know.

You must have talent - or at the least solid basic skills and knowledge - in a number of different but interlocking fields. You should have, at the least, a solid grasp of the technology. You need people skills, both to attract investors and talent, and skill at getting the best out of your cast and crew. You need management skills to keep your scheduling, budgeting and people organized. Most of all you need excellent communication skills; your talent as a filmmaker is useless unless you can express your desires and infect everyone with your enthusiasm.

Then there is the three "D"s; drive, desire and dicsipline.

Yes, to a large degree it is about who you know, but without all of the above the best contacts in the world will be useless.

And finally there is luck...

Talent is the part that can be taken for granted in this industry. Tenacity is the ingredient that will define yur success. Those who lean on the "who ya know" excuse are just excusing themselves for giving up.

It sounds like you don't have any drive. You can't sit back and wait to be discovered unless you want to make films to satisfy yourself, which is fine. But if you want to be noticed you need a lot more than talent. Well, talent may be enough, but you must be talented in business, promotion, etc., The least you need is drive.

if your were born, artistic, you were born lucky... you can learn to be technological, then you'll be unstoppable.

if your born technological, art cannot be learned

if your were born, artistic, you were born lucky... you can learn to be technological, then you'll be unstoppable.

if your born technological, art cannot be learned

explain that to divinci. :P

he was born with a scientific, calculative mind, and learned to be artistic.

the reason is, no one is born with artistic ability's. they are born with the drive to be creative, and anyone can be creative.

explain that to divinci. :P

he was born with a scientific, calculative mind, and learned to be artistic.

the reason is, no one is born with artistic ability's. they are born with the drive to be creative, and anyone can be creative.

Divinci was a mad genius and an over achieving lunatic...he could have learned to do anything he set his mind to. I wouldn't compare most people's minds to Divinci's.

Over-achieving lunatic is the operative there. You can have all the raw ability in the world, but you have to do something with it - regardless of the field. Is this a good time to stroll out the well-worn mythology of Michael Jordan and how he sucked at basketball the first time he tried out for a team? :lol:

Or put another way: "What good is skill if you don't make it do the dance?"

Divinci was a mad genius and an over achieving lunatic...he could have learned to do anything he set his mind to. I wouldn't compare most people's minds to Divinci's.

my point is easy though, i'm not comparing people to divinci (although the feats are not impossible, anyone can achieve it if they put they'r being into it.) but my point is, theyr is nothing that is decided from birth that says you cant do what you love.

my point is easy though, i'm not comparing people to divinci (although the feats are not impossible, anyone can achieve it if they put they'r being into it.) but my point is, theyr is nothing that is decided from birth that says you cant do what you love.

I absolutely love quantum mechanics, and fascinated by physics. I can honestly say that no matter how hard I tried, or studied, my mind can't handle some of the formulas theoretical physicists crunch. I just can't do it...and I'm not stupid.

My point being. Some people just aren't wired to do certain things. Just like some actors, no matter how hard they study, or how many classes they take, just can't sell a line of dialog to save their lives.

I'm only being the devil's advocate here. I understand what you guys mean...I just want to make the point that no matter how hard some people study or practice, they won't ever be Divinci...that's why he's...well...Divinci.

:)

theyr is nothing that is decided from birth that says you cant do what you love.

Social constructs, maybe?

Every society has castes; not all are as plainly visible as in some countries, though. You're really screwed if you're born into an untouchable one in a third-world country. Everything else is relative, no matter where.

Which brings up the original question posed:

Is artistic talent enough?

No, it is not enough.
smiley_colbert.gif

Talent is definitely not enough...

You have to factor in personal drive and dedication, self-marketing, timing, and who you know.

Agreed.

In the end you have to be almost fanatical (that's not the word I'm shooting for, but it's the closest that comes to mind right now) in your stubborn belief that your talent deserves to get out the door and into the world. I'm not saying you have to be a super-arrogant prick or anything. You just need to believe that what you have to say is worth listening to.

i'm a little disappointed in mr. indietalk. that's a pretty quick assumption saying he has no drive.

I don't have much experience in the matter to give an opinion. But, if it was up to talent, I'd be successful by now. I HAVE MORE TALENT THAN ALL OF YOU COMBINED!!

:)

Just giving my opinion. Is artistic talent enough? No, you have to get off your butt to promote too. ;)

Maybe he is doing that. But then that is more than artistic talent.

i guess we all agree, talent isn't enough :P
you need to push yourself to do better then the other people who are pushing to do better then you.
but i will never agree with the idea that you cant grasp something due to being you.

anyone can learn anything, (unless handicapped, and there is nothing at all wrong with that.) its just a matter of drive, and willpower.

that's my belief anyway, cuz these things are straight up opinions.

Once upon a time someone said sucess was 99% of perspiration and 1 % of inspiration. Talent is obviously not enough , but it's needed . You can't be all vain and think that everything will fall in front of your feet just because you've got talent . You need to work , learn , improve , but most important learn , learn everything you can , so that you can be better , better than everyone else , or at least to give you conidence , cause you're going to hear loads of "no's" in you path and you must not give up . And yes of course meeting the right people will help , but it's your effort that makes things happen.

Last edited:
Back