Introducing myself (don't know what else to write as a subject line :-) )

I am a science-fiction writer, recently got interested in writing & directing zero budget short films. I made two shorts so far, 'Myriad' and 'The Boogeyman'. I am also into cinematography and editing. Obviously, my two shorts are a one man show :) And here is my latest, 'The Boogeyman'.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Was there anything tricky about adding those lightning flashes to boogeyman or was it straightforward ?

Welcome.

Was there anything tricky about adding those lightning flashes to boogeyman or was it straightforward ?
It's fairly simple. In DaVinci Resolve, I overlayed white clips of random length (not more than 1 or 2 frames at a time), with different opacity depending on how long and how bright I wanted the lightning burst to be. (Set 'Composite Mode' = Overlay).

For the actual lightning strike, almost the same trick - using a transparent .png image of a lightning bolt. I followed the instructions from this video:

not lightning bolts just a quick brighten on the color grade from the ambience of lightning

You can overlay two of the same shot. The 2nd layer is brighter and can be ramped in and out. You can use a mask to shape the layer, so it has a stronger flare point, as opposed to the whole shot becoming equally brighter. You can also add lens/light flares to the second layer, as well. When you ramp it in, keep it partially opaque.

Last edited:
You can overlay two of the same shot. The 2nd layer is brighter and can be ramped in and out. You can use a mask to shape the layer, so it has a stronger flare point, as opposed to the whole shot becoming equally brighter. You can also add lens/light flares to the second layer, as well. When you ramp it in, keep it partially opaque.
It's fairly simple. In DaVinci Resolve, I overlayed white clips of random length (not more than 1 or 2 frames at a time), with different opacity depending on how long and how bright I wanted the lightning burst to be. (Set 'Composite Mode' = Overlay).

I gave it a try, cool effect but didnt work for my story. thanks.

I am a science-fiction writer, recently got interested in writing & directing zero budget short films. I made two shorts so far, 'Myriad' and 'The Boogeyman'. I am also into cinematography and editing. Obviously, my two shorts are a one man show :) And here is my latest, 'The Boogeyman'.

Hello! I liked your video, had even chills while watching it! And nice twist at the end reminds me Tabula Rasa from Netflix.

Hello! I liked your video, had even chills while watching it! And nice twist at the end reminds me Tabula Rasa from Netflix.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my short. I'll check out Tabula Rasa. I like twist ending films, so I can't miss it now :)

Back