• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Input and Suggestions ...

I liked it, my only suggestion would be to redo the intro text and stuff... its a little too acid trippy.

But a damn good job with everything else!

Thanks!

I actually like the speed of the action better in this last clip with the new sound effects. I'm thinking of using the same speed effects and sound effects in the extended version, if we get to shoot the 2 extra shooting days next year. The new sound effects are authentic aeronautic sound effects. The new turbulence inside the spaceship is authentic for inside a jet fighter, which is close enough. And, the cyborg appearing out of the sonic boom is an authentic sound od a jet breaking the sound barrier, which fits the scene for the sound effect.

I have the live action 8-Man movie on laser disc. They use a very similar sound effect to the sonic boom when 8-Man runs faster than his enemies can follow.

Last edited:
I gave you as much help as I could and pointed you in the right direction in my post #46. I've been involved in quite lengthy threads here on dealing with editing clicks and crossfades as time goes on I'll try to help and advise on other audio problems as they come up on this forum and as I have time.

I know this sounds harsh but the problem with your mix is that it contains every major audio error/problem (and numerous other minor ones) I can think of. It would take a long post just to list them all, let alone address how to start fixing them. That's why the best advice I can offer is to somehow find someone, anyone, even a student, who has some knowledge/experience with sound for picture.

I hate to say it but to be honest it sounds worse than before. There are more sounds in there but along with more sounds, there are also more problems. The panning of the dialogue, for example, is certainly worse than before. I know that criticising without solutions isn't a great deal of help but at least being aware there are problems is the first step on the road to solutions.

If you absolutely cannot find someone to do the sound for you, follow what I advised in post #46: "First thing I would do is to get rid of all the editing clicks by re-editing on zero crossing points, get rid of all the abrupt cut offs by extending the ends of the audio clips which are cut off. Go through the dialogue, a word at a time, editing out clicks, pops, mouth smacks, etc." When that's done, we'll take the next step. I'm not sure if helping you this way, a step at a time, is a workable solution, time wise.

G

As per your request,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCCqSSbl4w&feature

As per your request ...

"Go through the dialogue, a word at a time, editing out clicks, pops, mouth smacks, etc."

There's still a considerable number of clicks, pops and mouth smacks in the dialogue. There's also still a lot of distortion on some of the SFX and some SFX are still cut off too abruptly, rather than decay naturally. This mix is an improvement on the last one though! BTW, there are now only about 3 foul ups with the panning and they are of much shorter duration.

Sort these problems out and we'll move on to the next step.

G

"Go through the dialogue, a word at a time, editing out clicks, pops, mouth smacks, etc."

There's still a considerable number of clicks, pops and mouth smacks in the dialogue. There's also still a lot of distortion on some of the SFX and some SFX are still cut off too abruptly, rather than decay naturally. This mix is an improvement on the last one though! BTW, there are now only about 3 foul ups with the panning and they are of much shorter duration.

Sort these problems out and we'll move on to the next step.

G

Okay, I believe I am not hearing these sounds because I am editing with a portable workstation in a small studio flat with constant sounds in the room.

I will try again with a set of headphones.

The animated metal text for titles is what the "in look" is for science fiction and action movies these days along with female action heroes in the all black shinny look costumes. Check out Underworld, GI Joe the new Resident Evil movie,.and Terminator Savlation.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that... I thought the whole thing looked good, and definitely deserves more. I just thought the intro seemed less than the stellar.

It is a work in progress.

It is a text book series preview, which is why I showed the five minute series preview for The Beauty And The Beast.

Text helps to connect the ideas the same way as the preview does in The Beauty And The Beast.

A preview is an extended trailer that not only has to introduce the main characters in the series, it overviews the conflicts in the series by skimming over them with narration and text.

A short film or an actual scene from a film is something else. A Clip is a scene or section of a scene from a film or a show that is shown to help sell a film or show in addition to a trailer.

I just selected a clip from the pilot for IMDB over the weekend to accompany the trailer as part of the press kit for the pilot.

A pilot is an intro film or show for a series.

Last edited:
New visual and dialogue with General Angela Bruno. Audio level will need more adjustments. As one of the lead characters, I wanted to squeeze in General Bruno with some dialogue. Removed a pop and crackle from Colonel Roberta Azzurra's final dialogue, using another take of the dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-7bWAxDlA&feature

There's still a dozen or so clicks in the dialogue and two or three slight panning errors, you might want to look at the essing on some of the dialogue and the overload distortion on the rockets and explosions at the beginning. It's slowly improving though!

G

This is very serious, I bought the sound effects for the missiles from either Pond5 or another web site for the misslies. So, I am unnerved that the audio for those sound effects aren't better. When I spend money on sound effects, I expect it to be good without having to rework it.

I made more revissions. They may not seem like a lot, but I spent a good part of last night with General Angela Bruno's 2 lines of dialogue.

I repaired the audio to General Angela Bruno's dialogue with Sound Forge and audio plug-in's like Bias Sound Soap. I think it is much better than before and blends in better to the other dialogue around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqHFV84aQc&feature

I zeroed in on a specific problem yesterday. I removed one audio pan and seperated the audio of the ICBM missiles launch from Artemis' lead-in narration.

The audio appears to be sharper as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jr8Y2V_FCs&feature

I suggest more attention to the sound... Sound is everything unless your doing silent film.

With science fiction, sound is considered 50% of the film. Special effects makeup another large percentage of the film.

Question for the sound guys, since I have done pretty much as much as I know how with the sound, can I bring back the sound effects for the fight scenes? But, make the volume, maybe a good 12 DB lower than before?

Back