IndieTalk: The Movie (Story Development)

Contempovision Films said:
Does an indie film, or any film in that matter need to be sexy?
There's differing types of 'sexy'...

There's sexy people that draw in the male 18-35 demographic.

And then there's the 'sexy' production. Everyone defines this differently. 'Sexy' is a very suggestive term. :hmm:

could go without showing the pc typing thing at all except maybe a little as introduction and just have the events either voiced, or as part of conversations in dealing with their daily lives...and see the rolling eyes of the peole they're talking to etc.

Before commiting to an idea/outline, i want two things here, as i have stated before:
1) I got no response before, but how many people will put their hands up to do a filming part (which will lead to whether we have a 1 filming crew 1 country thing, or a multi-crew/footage from multi-countries, which will lead to what type of outline we will take on)
2) With Poke's idea, he said he was thinking about developing the concept of the characters having roles outside their homes/pc life, i want to hear that.

1) I got no response before, but how many people will put their hands up to do a filming part (which will lead to whether we have a 1 filming crew 1 country thing, or a multi-crew/footage from multi-countries, which will lead to what type of outline we will take on)

I will tentatively put my hand up. It all depends on a few things: the format we shoot on, how much money will be available, the time constraints of the project, etc. I'd like to say I'm 100% in, but I just can't at this time.

But I think the value of having multiple crews is that it takes pressure off the crew(s). Imagine if our one crew pulled out at the last minute for some reason or another (format, money, time constraints). If we have multiple crews and one filmmaker pulled out, we could focus on the others while we find a replacement.

2) With Poke's idea, he said he was thinking about developing the concept of the characters having roles outside their homes/pc life, i want to hear that.

I was envisioning a handful of characters (no more than 5 or 6) that we'd follow outside of the realm of the online collaboration. For sure, the Protagonist and the Antagonist would get the majority of the "outside world" film time, while a few supporting characters would also have outside lives. I haven't gotten much time to flesh it out.

To be honest, I think clive made a point that I had not been taking into consideration -- is the idea of a group of filmmakers making a film by collaborating through the internet really that High Concept? I gotta say "no." I was so caught up in the cleverness of my idea, I wasn't thinking logically. So I'm wondering if this is the right path for us.

It's simple really, we must have an idea that screams High Concept. It will only help us when it comes to financing, selling, and marketing the film.

Let's just keep tossing ideas out and see if something sticks.

Poke

Last edited:
I would love to be 100% a part of this project. Let me know what I can do. I would love to help shoot and/or edit! I can even act if an extra actor is needed. Whatever is within the constraints of reality and practicality I would love to contribute. My twin actor partners would love to contribute as well. They are SAG qualified (but haven't signed up yet) and very seasoned in film and television.

Last edited:
As to the 'sexy' comment- I meant that the idea didn't grab me and excite me. I didn't mean it in a sexual context. Sorry to confuse. :)

I need to know time frame, location, etc. before I could commit fully to being on the shoot, although I am an experienced script sup. and wardrobe & make-up designer/ artist. I am producing "The Rapture" this summer in Ohio with Johnny Wu (check out the teaser in the screening room if you haven't already). We shoot in July, so anything before then would be out for me.

Considering the amount of variables here though, I would think pre-prod. will be a long process.

Get back to you on the character/concept ideas later. Have to run now.

Lilith said:
I can hear Poke now.... .

I really hate to do it, but I concur with Spinner, Clive and MediaHero. This idea is just not sexy to me. It could be, especially if the 'lone man' (Contempo) goes to the mat and comes up smelling like roses. That said, it doesn't push any emotional buttons for me- and that's what the story has to do for everyone- not just here but the audience as well.

...guys, maybe we are approaching this in the wrong way. I think the IDEA of our doing this is enough to possibly bring attention to the project, however, I kind of think that we might look at this differently. And since what we are really doing at this point seems to be brainstorming, I am going to re-interate my thought.

I think we should think in terms of Four Rooms, think Pulp Fiction. Think in terms of the film competition held on this board.

What was Dogma 95 about? Wasn't it different crews come up with their own ideas?

What if the project was called something like A Day In The Life?

Maybe we could have one unifying 'event'. How it is used is up to the crews involved. the genres (since some people aren't into horror as I am not) is left up to the crews.

Maybe the unifying event is that there is a film festival. You can use that as much or as little as you want so long as it connects the films. for example

Theres a crew who wants to make this film, the director's girl is irritated that he can't hang out with her and leaves in a huff by herself.

She goes home by herself and is stalked by some killer

The killer is caught by a good samaritan and we follow him and find out that he just stumbled into becoming a hero when in fact he is a klutz who saves her by accident.

He goes to a coffe shop and spill coffee on someone, we follow that someone, somewhere

Can you see how the stories connect? This way we already have the relationship story, the horror story, the comedy, and so on. I am not suggesting that this is the one we use, I am only trying to illustrate a way of going about connecting the stories while still doing what each crew decides to do creatively and artistically.

All we would need to do to get to the UK would be for someone to make a phone call. To talk to a friend or maybe a wrong number, but it puts us in another country.

Possibly part of the creativity will be how we figure out how to connect the film segments.

I know It may sound kind of 'Cannonball Run', but no one says it has to be silly. We just cover alot of genres by connecting the stories in an big way or in an insignificant way, the connection just would have to be obvious to show that the segment has changed....or maybe not....

the idea has to be something that someone would want to see, at this point, I think we are still working that out. And please remember that I am not suggesting that we use the examples that I have given, I was just trying to be clear.

That's what I was thinking....just some brainstorming

-- spinner :cool:

sorry about the typos, writing fast....:)

Last edited:
I think spinner is right, the project is still definitely in the brainstorming phase.

What it needs right now is NOT ideas that offer international, multi-crew production options -- Forget production for the moment -- we need to conentrate soley on COMPELLING IDEAS FOR FILMS -- the production issues will solve themselves if the idea is right.

I think what will make this process easier is if we have a theme to work to -- so I'm suggesting Poke's idea of concepts that revolve around the idea of Death.

So folks divy up -- as many high concept ideas as possible on the theme of Death! -- or anything else you want to throw into the ring.

Here's my shot:

The Angel of Death falls in love with a beautiful Goth Girl only to have her kidnapped by Lucifer, who wants to subvert Death to his own purposes -- if he's to save her he'll have to break the only rule God placed on him and take a human life before its time.

...well, here we go... The unifying 'theme' is Death... you can go anywhere with this.... I gotta come up with something good :yes: ......I'll be back.....hmmm....

Before commiting to an idea/outline, i want two things here, as i have stated before:

My hand is half way up. Things depend upon, the media that this will be shot on...and what we'll be doing.

As I've said, I'm up for multiple independent films that have a catch to them and bring a story together as a feature length movie.

If it's a one crew one story one short film, I'd be less likely to want to participate.

Chris

My silly contribution, a dorky comedy:

A dork with no talent, but who dreams of being a rock star, suddenly finds his family and friends responding positively to his 'music.' He's suspicious of their flattery, yet humanly compelled to bask in it. When a talent agent takes him under his wing, and moves the kid into the big leagues, the dork finds his dreams coming true even though he realizes himself that he actually has no talent. This upsets him greatly - he feels like a faker, a con man, a… a dork. He wants out. But the harder he tries to get out of the business, the more people respond to him. Suddenly, he's a megastar and he absolutely hates it. The only way out is to fake his death and disappear into oblivion. But he's just as bad at attempting to fake his death as he is at playing music. He tries and tries again to 'off' himself .... and finally he succeeds. Or does he?

Somehow, though, it sounds familiar? Am I unconsciously scamming something else? Anyway use it or lose it...

Last edited:
I like the focus mainly on a great film idea, its our way forward :)

***For an update of all the ideas, check out the second post on the first page of this thread, ill update it as new ideas are posted!*** Its better than looking through all the posts :)

Also, i know its not about the idea side of things, but it looks like we will have enough people to do a multi filming crew project, so be confident that you can write for any type of production :)

I'm also working on another idea that ill post up sometime soon. Keep working on your separate ideas, and maybe develop them a bit more before you post it, so we can see where you are going with it!

Cheers, Kane.

clive said:
The Angel of Death falls in love with a beautiful Goth Girl only to have her kidnapped by Lucifer, who wants to subvert Death to his own purposes -- if he's to save her he'll have to break the only rule God placed on him and take a human life before its time.
This is ironic.

) I've just completed a short script (comedy) that centers around the grim reaper.
) Today's newspaper had a comic with the grim reaper in it (He walks into a car repair garage and complains that his car keeps dying)

:lol:

Media Hero said:

A dork with no talent, but who dreams of being a rock star, suddenly finds his family and friends responding positively to his 'music.' He's suspicious of their flattery, yet humanly compelled to bask in it. When a talent agent takes him under his wing, and moves the kid into the big leagues, the dork finds his dreams coming true even though he realizes himself that he actually has no talent. This upsets him greatly - he feels like a faker, a con man, a… a dork. He wants out. But the harder he tries to get out of the business, the more people respond to him. Suddenly, he's a megastar and he absolutely hates it. The only way out is to fake his death and disappear into oblivion. But he's just as bad at attempting to fake his death as he is at playing music. He tries and tries again to 'off' himself .... and finally he succeeds. Or does he?

Somehow, though, it sounds familiar? Am I unconsciously scamming something else? Anyway use it or lose it...

It's called William Hung from American Idol!! Remember he was horrible, but so bad that he got a record contract and sold over 100,000 cd's!

Chris

PS. CV - post 59 has an different take on the internet search.

Last edited:

It's not a silly contribution at all -- reads like an idea for a feature. Only thing I can't get my head around is how to get that idea down to a high concept logline.

Would it be something like:

A talentless musican finds himself catapulted to an undeserved rock stardom, only to discover that fame makes him feel more worthless than being a nobody -- when the only escape from the nightmare of celebrity is to fake his own death, he has to overcome his own ineptness and finally get something right.

Media Hero said:

...change the musician to one who is talented and you kinda have "Eddie And The Cruisers". A really good movie I've seen about 10 times....that's why it sounds familiar, keep trying :yes:

I pitched the "Death" idea in the previous thread cause I had envisioned doing something similar revolving around death as far back as mid-2004. My idea was that it'd be a series of vignettes that dealt with death, but as an added bonus one of the characters would be Death himself. I figured if you got the same actor to play Death, that would be the connection between the vignettes.

I had an idea for one vignette that I liked enough to actually peck out a first draft. It was to be called "Meeting Death," here's a logline for it:

While working late, a man who fantasizes about murder, his boss who is contemplating an abortion, and an office temp who has decided to commit suicide come face to face with Death himself.

Poke

Death idea...

A guy gets stabbed in the face with a sodering iron (try and place that reference!) and nearly dies. During his brief encounter with death he goes a little screwy and becomes so easily addictable that he gets addicted to everything. At first, he gets addicted to fun things, like ice cream, and popping bubble wrap... but as the film progresses, he gets darker and darker, and eventually becomes addicted to death. He goes on a murdering spree against his own will and better judgement, until he realizes it would have been better that he had died that day. Then he wakes up and it was all a horrible nightmare. Ok that's a cop-out but I'm thinking of this on the spot here, gimme a break!

So high concept version: A near-death encounter makes a man addicted to death.

Back