Indietalk Perfect Sandwich

First off, i cannot believe im doing this. I've never been the person who creates trivial yet highly popular and interesting threads on IT. What presumption on my part but I hope this turns out to be one. Because if it does, we’ll all have a lot of fun!

That said, this has to be the most grand, ambitious and noble project I have ever undertaken.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Perfect Sandwich.

Here’s what we’re going to do. Everyone write down your perfect sandwich recipe, whether it is a simple or complicated one. And write down your profession or desired profession in filmmaking.
Everyone gets to put down only one recipe, their absolute favourite one.

I will, over the course of the next few weeks, make and try each sandwich and rate it in a most subjective manner. I will also divide the sandwiches into categories by the stated professions. Then, having judged the best sandwich out of each category, I will take a picture of it, credit the user, write its recipe, write a short review why it was chosen as the best sandwich and put together a little pdf recipe cookbook. In the end it should have about ten categories: Directors’ best sandwich, Cinematographers’ best sandwich, Writers’ best sandwich, Sound, Actor, Actress… Perhaps even some honourable mentions.

Depending on the number of submissions per category, the cookbook may be longer or shorter.
Meanwhile, feel free to try each others sandwiches and comment on them, talk about them or just joke abt. But please obey the limit of one recipe per person.

Also note, this sandwich cookbook isn’t going to come out tomorrow. It’ll take time for me to try each sandwich, choose the best ones and then remake them and take their photos and so on. So let’s have fun talking about our favourite sandwiches, trying them and just messing about while in the background I process everything.

Oh and try to bump the thread now and then if needed so we get more submissions.

Enjoy! :)

Thread idea inspired by: dlevanchuk and Cracker Funk.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to take some time in creating The Filmmakers Perfect Sandwich Recipe Book considering my health (if affected by these sandwiches), my work and budget.

UPDATE (29th SEP 2011): Ill make the finished pdf downloadable from my site. Other than crediting the winners, i will also add a link of their own choice underneath their name. And hopefully, some of our reviewers here can review the book on their sites.

UPDATE (29th SEP 2011): Please remember to provide your profession or desired profession in filmmaking when submitting your recipes and directions. Thanks!

Last edited:
hahaha oh my god..

does properly distributed balance points of sandwich substances contribue to the perfection of the sandwich?

:lol:

Awesome! Can't wait to see your cooking/tasting results.

You've already got my recipe, but for those who missed the other thread:

1. Spread mayo on a slice of light rye bread.
2. Top it, in order, with thin-sliced onions, 2 slices ham, 1 slice cheddar cheese, a slice of tomato, then with another slice of light rye.
3. Spread butter on the outside of both the upper and lower slices of bread.
4. Fry on a very low heat, turning once, until each side is golden brown.
5. Remove from heat, and slice diagonally (trust me, it tastes better, if sliced diagonally).

This is basically a grilled-cheese sandwich, but more awesome.

Also, I look forward to hearing other people's recipes, so that I may also try them.

Oops, I forgot to answer one of your questions. I consider myself a director. :)

Seriously guys, I don't know what to pick. The easy choice would be a chicken BLT, but that's too easy. So what's left is a tough decision between a meatloaf sandwich, ham and butter on a french roll, or the ultimate thanksgiving leftover sandwich.

Slinks off to make multiple accounts as a disguise.

Hmmm. Cincinatti isn't TOO far away, but I may have to mail you some bread. The bread is KEY. Nothing mass produced, it must be handmade (and, no, a bread machine does not count). I personally dislike a crispy crust, but that's definitely a preference thing. There's a decent local spicy brown mustard here in Pittsburgh I like a lot (and it's dirt cheap!) and it goes without saying a good cheese is important. This is exactly the reason I've gained so much weight in the past couple years.

Though now Dready's got me wanting meatloaf...

Here's mine:

Homemade white (English toasting preferred) or wheat bread, sliced thick
Thin-sliced turkey (not deli meat, actual turkey breast meat)
Vermont Cheddar (extra sharp of course), one slice on each side of the turkey
A very thin slice of apple, either Granny Smith or McIntosh
Either grilled with butter or cooked in a panini press until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is thoroughly melted.

Seriously, someday I'm going to start a restaurant that serves nothing but variations on the grilled cheese sandwich...

ETA: And desired profession would be director.

I updated the original post with some more ideas and info^

Hahah, this is ridiculously wonderful fun!

@dlevan: Yes, of course. But they can be overriden by if something is simply too unique or too delicious! ;)

@CF and Cameron: Thanks!

@Josh: Send me all the food u want, man. All the food u want. :lol:

@Dready: Choose wisely. This is a matter of utmost importance. And whatever u choose, we'll need the recipe and directions.

@Everyone else: Recipes and directions, guys! Keep them coming!

Would the directors sandwich be judged on how easy it is to follow the recipe (directions)? Would the DP sandwich be judged on how it looks? Would a soundie sandwich be judged on how it sounds when you bite into it? Would the actor sandwich be judged on how it affects you (emotional content)? Would the production accountants sandwich be judged on bang-for-the-buck? Would the producers sandwich be judged on how ... I think I'll leave that one alone.

Would the producers sandwich be judged on how ... I think I'll leave that one alone.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is supposed to be a fun contest and if the pdf gains any popularity, there could be some hits and traffic coming to the winners. But the main focus is fun and trying new sandwiches.
Depending on the entries, ill see how best to judge them but taste, though subjective, will be high on the list. Your judging criteria is a wonderful idea and if it fits with the entries, ill def take it into account :)

Now gimme ur recipe bc sound guys r few in number on this site! (And ROC, im looking for to be in here too!)

Okay, here's one for the "composers" section

Start off 2 medium thick slices of a handbaked cheese bread (cheese both baked inside, and on the crust). If you do not have access to my girlfriend's bread, find a small, local bakery and see what they can get you. You could go with a chain bakery (Panera, etc), but their crusts tend to be too crispy for my tastes. If you DO have access to my girlfriend's bread, you and I need to have words.

Thin coating of mayo, to taste.

2 slices Turkey, 2 slices Ham, from the freshest deli you can find. A grocery store will do (better ones carry the same meats as many local shops) but by all means avoid anything pre-packaged. Like the plague. Meats should be nice and cool when placed on the sandwich, and alternated, with cheese as a spacer.

Cheese to taste. I prefer a nice creamy havarti and/or a baby swiss.

2-3 leaves of romaine lettuce. No iceburg. Ever. Fresh spinach is also an acceptable substitute/addition.

Tomatoes and pickles are always nice, but not necessary. The addition will make them an augmented sandwich, whereas removing any ingredient would make it a diminished sandwich (see? Music terms! TOTALLY APPROPRIATE)

Here's the key: when finished, stick the sandwich in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. It'll be a nice, cool, chewy sandwich, to contrast with everyone else's hot crispy sandwiches. I like them too, but prefer them to be cool. Which gets into the subs vs. hoagies debate. It's hard to find a sandwich in this town that they don't insist on baking into oblivion first. Grrr.

If you want to get really fancy, replace the mayo on one half of the sandwich with fresh avacado. Or just eat that as your side. Yum!

As an aside, each time I look at this thread, I keep hearing Nine Inch Nails' "The Perfect Drug"...as "the Perfect Lunch". My head is a scary and often annoying place to live.

Last edited:
Wowza, quite the culinary Pandora's Box you've opened here Ernest! :)

Here's mine. I used to eat this obsessively (and by that I mean 7 times a week) in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep.

The Best Boy Sandwich

1.) Nice soft white bread (sliced loaf)
2.) Layer it with Parma ham (at least three slices)
3.) Sprinkle Rocket on the top (I think you Yanks might call this Arugula)
4.) Add a reasonable but healthy portion of sliced black olives
5.) Dress with liberal (but sensible) amounts of Mayo

picture.php

Voila!

Last edited:
Tomato sandwich

Maryland tomatos only!
light tosted bread
tomato cut thin to medium
a little mustard and pepper ( i would add salt but i cant have salt)

Director and cinematographer

You're gonna be shocked by this authentic recipe from Bulgaria, guys.
It's called gypsy sandwich:
1. A slice of bread (your favorite).
2. Sprinkle oil on it (your favorite).
3. Sprinkle a touch of vinegar (your favorite).
4. Add a touch of salt, black pepper, red pepper (experiment with your favorite seasoning)

And the most important:
5. Eat it on an empty stomach, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy it :lol:

Filmmakers Really, Really Frustrating Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 slices American cheese
1 slice of bread
Butter
Burn cream

Utensils:

12" non-stick frying pan
Spatula
Fork

Directions:

Preheat fry pan to medium heat. Butter one side each of American cheese slices. Place first slice of cheese in fry pan, buttered side down. Place bread slice directly on top of cheese and top with remaining cheese slice, buttered side up. After 2-3 minutes, flip to other side in a quick, steady motion. If cheese flings wildly, remove from affected skin, run under cold water, and apply burn cream. 2-3 additional minutes and ready to serve.

Foot long hero

Spread lots of soft butter

Spread lots of minced garlic

(Yeah you're making garlic bread)

Add crispy bacon

Lots of Warm Roast Beef

Heat, eat and wait for your arteries to harden.

Just finished shooting 5 minute promo video on a perfect sandwich ;) Will post final version tonight!

Just a temp intro video ;) (no sound, no color correction, rough edit)

Edit and footage is still hot. Finished shooting 20 mins ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlwE9IZCii8

Last edited:
I'm going to refrain from going with the meats. We all know they're big time. Here's what you need, people of the world.

The Writers' Sandwich.

Wholewheat bread
Butter
Marmite
Cheese

Oh so simple. Oh so effin' awesome.

Back