Indienews publishes story

In a bizarre and unexpected turn of events, local news source Indienews has broken a longstanding forum record by posting over 20 articles per human content this month. We interviewed adjacent conversationalists to find out the source of this sudden and mysterious spike in volume.

"It was the strangest thing, people were just having normal conversations, and this guy Indienews goes crazy and starts bombarding the feed with hundreds, maybe thousands of posts. I think more people would complain, but the quality is sky high. Last week there was a story about how an actor thought he should have gotten hired for a role instead of a competitor, and just yesterday there was an article about how Joe Pesci used to drink club soda to protest the war in Iraq."

Another audience member had this to say "I used to go around wondering if Top Gun Maverick was doing ok at the box office, but now, with Indienews on the case, I get daily updates about the film, and how much old people like it. I think lazy second tier news sources would have tapped out after 6 or 8 articles about the same sequel, but Indienews really stayed the course, and kept us updated."

While these interviews failed to clarify the source of the uptick, one thing is certain, Indienews has accomplished what so many in the entertainment industry aspire to achieve, uncontested dominance in the highly competitive field of Top Gun Maverick updates.

reporter pakistani GIF

Unquestionably, the top criticism levied at me on a regular basis is that I don't talk enough. Lacking the loquacious wit of modern super conversationalists, I often find myself at a loss for words when approaching the complex intellectual hurdles constantly thrown at me by indiewire. Do I think they should have scrapped Batwoman? I don't know, I didn't see it. Considering the movies they decided not to scrap, I'm thinking it might have been pretty bad.

-------------------

Basically, I think that due to the overall slow pace of conversations here, sometimes members try to start a conversation, and it gets buried in the stack by news releases before most of the other members see it. I'm not talking about my posts specifically, but using them as an example, I almost never get a reply from anyone except the core group that shows up daily. And that's great, but there are thousands of existing members, and it feels like something is wrong when only about 8 of us ever interact. Many times I see someone post something, and 6 hours later it's gone, shoved out of sight by 4 back to back news stories. I think sometimes new members show up to check out the site, only to find 100% robot news stories. I know how to check the extended feed, but new people may leave before figuring out where it is.

I think if Robert Deniro or Cate Blanchet dies in a zepplin explosion, we probably should hear about that, but when Mara posts a 90 minute movie that took a year to produce, I'm not sure it should get bumped in 4 hours by a litany of articles about how "Matt Smith thought his gloves weren't thick enough for "cold shooting days in England"" There are plenty of places for celebrities to get press, and very few places for indie filmmakers to have conversations. I won't bother to get into how indiewire specifically uses every eulogy as a political soapbox.

I personally try to bump threads that haven't gotten a fair shake, like Jackson's 6 month hand animated film that disappeared under useless news articles before even one other person commented on it. The point is that I think people come here to talk to each other first, and read a syndicated news feed second, if that.

I still think you should try out a small "video showcase window" that just plays a random list of all site media in a small square on the front page. It would be a great way for all of us to see more of each others work, and introduce newcomers to some of the creators on the site. Think of how the radio works, just a constant stream of random content, and people can discover artists they like in a passive way, rather than having to dig. How many new members are actually going to come across Frinkinah's film "Cynthia"? There's plenty here on the site to inspire people, but can they find it?

I'm sure you have a much clearer picture of site activity via the analytics hub, I'm just sharing a client end POV.

It's a bot people! You can outrun it!

Back