IMDB?

Getting on IMBD is no big deal, people only go there with a search term in mind to find data, so they're not going to discover your film. They will have to know your film's name, and then they can discover facts. It should definitely be near the bottom of your list of things to worry about.

I got Gun Town on there before it was even done, and it's just a shoestring budget indie film, my first one at that. No WOB, festivals or anything. Direct to Self-Distribution. Not braggin', just sayin'.

Apparently it's just me then. I've spent many hours assembling all the info and filling in the many pages as completely and accurately as possible, and they don't even bother e-mailing me to tell me I've been rejected. My title just never shows up on the database.
Douchebags.

Not that I'm sore about it or anything... :angry:

people only go there with a search term in mind to find data, so they're not going to discover your film.

They may not go looking for my film, but people try to look ME up on there and find no listing, which of course means I don't exist. :rolleyes: I get asked constantly why I'm not listed; I have no idea how to answer that question. Evidently 30 years of working in film and video isn't sufficient qualification.

Gonzo may have hit it..

I was thinking that it would be a good idea for all you folks with finished films to "trade trailer space" on your DVD's the concept could apply to "special credits" Sorta of a "Give me credit, Ill give you credit" sorta deal. If one of your credit partners get some recog, well, you get to go along for the ride!

that way the network GROWS UNTIL IT EATS THE WORLD!

Gonzo may have hit it..

I was thinking that it would be a good idea for all you folks with finished films to "trade trailer space" on your DVD's the concept could apply to "special credits" Sorta of a "Give me credit, Ill give you credit" sorta deal. If one of your credit partners get some recog, well, you get to go along for the ride!

that way the network GROWS UNTIL IT EATS THE WORLD!

Hadn't thought even myself about trading trailer space. I actually did something similar in school-we had to do a 7-10 min final project, and I did 3 movie trailers of movie ideas I made up, and another person did a whole mini-film; we put the two together and made it look like hers was a "feature" film, and mine was "coming attractions(complete with official looking trailer ratings). We submitted it as one package, and both scored well on our own "projects". Also helped her with camera work on a couple of scenes.

Perhaps if we start a thread that everyone could post a link to the trailers they had, folks putting DVDs together could put the trailers on their DVD. The trailers should have some info about where to buy the finished product, then we can make an underground nepotistic network! That would be great (the sarcasm is real, but the nepotism - I fully support).

Perhaps if we start a thread that everyone could post a link to the trailers they had, folks putting DVDs together could put the trailers on their DVD. The trailers should have some info about where to buy the finished product, then we can make an underground nepotistic network! That would be great (the sarcasm is real, but the nepotism - I fully support).

we need to do something.

Has there ever been any attempt by some posters on here to compile some of their shorts and money together and put out a 60 or 90 minute compilation to be sent out to festivals or for sale?

Or are the legalities and logistics just too much of a headache, with all the contributers?

I know an certain animation site I used to go to alot tried doing this, like an independent economy, I don't think it is working the way it was hoped(it went from a free site to paying subscription to post messages, and attendance for the site dropped significantly)

They may not go looking for my film, but people try to look ME up on there and find no listing, which of course means I don't exist. :rolleyes: I get asked constantly why I'm not listed; I have no idea how to answer that question. Evidently 30 years of working in film and video isn't sufficient qualification.
It's alarming how many people rely on IMDb to accurately
track the career of everyone in the business. How many
people will look you up, not find you at all or find very little
and then use it against you. I've even been called a liar
because what I tell them and what is on that data base don't
sync.

As we see here, that data base is highly inaccurate. We all
know people who can't get legit credits listed and people who
have movies and credits listed that really don't even exist.
I've tried for years to get my TV writing credits listed. Even
most of my special efx credits aren't there.

Has there ever been any attempt by some posters on here to compile some of their shorts and money together and put out a 60 or 90 minute compilation to be sent out to festivals or for sale?

Or are the legalities and logistics just too much of a headache, with all the contributers?
Many times.

Legally there are no issues. Put everything in writing. Logistically
is seems to be impossible.

In my experience (here and on other sites) the person who
initiates the project more often than not wants others to jump
in and do much of the work. A project like that takes one, very
strong person with a very specific goal and the drive to inspire
others to follow them.

What a producer and/or director does on any completely
independent project.

Many times.

Legally there are no issues. Put everything in writing. Logistically
is seems to be impossible.

In my experience (here and on other sites) the person who
initiates the project more often than not wants others to jump
in and do much of the work. A project like that takes one, very
strong person with a very specific goal and the drive to inspire
others to follow them.

What a producer and/or director does on any completely
independent project.

I've seen more of the "Let's make a compilation film..." rather than the Let's gather everyone's best work and put them on a DVD as an anthology. That would be simple if all the work is already done on the individual films. Then it's just bringing it all into a DVD authoring package and spitting out a master DVD for duplication.

I update mine from time to time. It's never gotten me a gig but it's quicker than typing a list should someone want credits.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2351247/resume
I don't have a link to it on my website. People have to ask for it. To me, it's limiting. I'd hate for someone to think that's all I've worked on after two decades in the industry.

I love IMDB. It works so well, and is so complete. IMDB Pro is even better, I used to spend hours on google trying to find the name of actors agents, or a direct number for someone in a production office (things you wouldn't expect to have to search that hard for), and when I finally shelled out my £9 or whatever for a month's subscription to Pro it was like a revelation.

"It's like Big Brother" - whatever! You have to add your details on there yourself, and anyway it generates publicity and work for you, so who cares?

I hope this information helps someone get your title listed on IMDB!

Regarding the films that were rejected, what were their reasons for doing so?

After many resolved issues with submission, I can offer this information, and do hope it is of assistance.

Without a box is the quickest route to get a short film listed on IMDB as long as it goes to a accredited festival https://www.withoutabox.com/

Createspace for getting a feature listed https://www.createspace.com/

For projects that are in development (Feature available with IMDB Pro) it can help to verify it's existence if it is announced, have interview articles with key cast in the trade press to prove it's existence a good route for that is using The Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...sults.jsp?d=y&f=y&s=production&src=bchallenge

(list of trade press here http://www.webwire.com/TradePublications.asp?ind=FLM&curpage=1)

Back to the actual submission of titles, the only piece of additional advice I can give, is to supply as much information that is possible to them, include as many official links as possible to the films actual website, the production companies involved, any Facebook/Myspace pages, blogs, twitter, festival listings, Amazon or distributors listings. (Include information also in Miscellaneous URL for an independent URL confirming eligibility of the title)

Supply as much recommended information as you can, especially Certificate (ratings) Information, Running Times, Sound Mix, Aspect Ratio, Taglines, Plot Outlines, Plot Summaries, Keywords.

Next click the box that says : To add more data for categories that are not listed above, please select this box add Other Crew, Links to Other Sites (these are used to link the trailer, stills, posters etc of your project, for IMDB to verify it's existence by seeing the film progress)

Verify your cast and crew.

Supply Miscellaneous Comments to them aswell, this tends to be separated quite a lot from the submissions so include what your film is called and the production company, link to your update history if you previously have submitted something. I find it tends to help if you write to them if you can supply them with any more relevant information, link any responses received to submissions, question them on the action you need to take to get it listed, the information you supply here will not be made public on your IMDB page for the film, and they do get back to you with what they require and the best form of action for you to take (not the bog standard response to what they will send you as an update or reason if your film does get rejected)

Hope that help :)

Regarding the films that were rejected, what were their reasons for doing so?

That's easy..... from IMDB:

Eligibility rules

For a work to be eligible for inclusion in the database it:

* must be of general public interest and
* should be available to the public or have been available in the past.

It does not have to be a feature film. We accept most kinds of films/shows:

* features
* documentaries
* experimental films
* short films, but for the time being no commercials, video clips or music videos (these go to the biographical section under 'other works')
* films made for the big screen, TV and video
* TV series and mini series (see below about episodes)
* video games

General public interest is assumed if a work...

* has been released to cinemas
* has been shown on non-local TV
* has been released on video or prints have been made available to the public (but see exceptions below on limited distribution titles)
* is listed in the catalog of an established video retailer (e.g., Amazon.com)
* has been accepted and shown on film festivals that don't accept everything regardless of its quality (if you have doubt, see this page for details)
* has been made by a (now) famous artist or person of public interest.
* has become famous for some reason and is widely talked about/referenced in non-local media or the 'film community' or is now of general historic interest for some reason.

General public interest is NOT given just because a work...

* has been digitized and put on some internet page for downloading (unless general public interest is assumed for one of the reasons stated above)
* is being offered to the public on the web via home made video tape/DVD-R copies (unless general public interest is assumed for one of the reasons stated above)
* has been made during/for a film class, workshop or any other educational program (unless general public interest is assumed for one of the reasons stated above)
* has been made for a local institution (such as a university or company) for internal use (unless general public interest is assumed for one of the reasons stated above)
* is of a strictly private nature (home movies)
* is an amateur production made for local consumption by friends, family members and neighbours, the local school campus etc. (including "local access television")

IMDb retains the right to reject any work whose eligibility according to above rules is dubious and/or unverifiable. This may include works which are in their very first development stages. If you would like to submit a project in development, please sign-up for IMDbPro. IMDb retains the right to change and adapt eligibility rules as circumstances require.

I was never specifically given specific reasons for being rejected, just the list above, the terms of which I had met.

Back