cast I'm trying to finish a homemade family film. But there's an issue with SAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had already started shooting. We had a family reunion and filmed some parts. Part of it is acting but part of it is real. However there happens to be one person in family who is in Sag. I had never even heard of Sag. Most people haven't. And in order for me to complete the film, he happens to be a very important part. But I would need to fill out Sag Paper work. However, there's a problem. You would have to shoot 3 weeks after you signed and that includes all non union people. They said I would need all the last 4 digits of social security for every person I filmed. This has turned into a nightmare. Most of the movie was already filmed without even knowing that Sag exists.

So it appears there is no way I can release this film legitimately. Initially I just wanted to show it to family members and that was it. But now I found out you have all these other legal things going on.

I would have no problem paying him if that was what it took. But apparently they have to have every single person sign and their info and that would be unrealistic for me to track them down. Plus you need insurance. This breaks my heart as this family video was everything to me.

Is there any work around? Like this makes me disgusted as I am not in Sag, I'm not even a real filmmaker yet.

If I were to ever get famous in films, would they find out about this and kick me out forever? I'm so torn up thinking about this, it is hurting me inside.

Last edited:
:rofl:

Okay dude. You can't. It's illegal. Burn the footage so you are not blackballed by the industry later on.

Then you need to consider this resolved, and stop asking the same things over and over, or asking us why someone on the phone said something to you. A lot of people tried to help you here and you don't want to frustrate them. You haven't yet.

my last post was sarcastic. sorry i didnt realize you were on the spectrum. ( i assume)
i should remember to be clearer in internet posts.

Not on spectrum but have a learning disability and some anxiety. But why did different people at sag give me different answers?

And is a homemade movie with acting still a home video? Just because I have no budget and profit that means it doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction?

Not on spectrum but have a learning disability and some anxiety. But why did different people at sag give me different answers?

And is a homemade movie with acting still a home video? Just because I have no budget and profit that means it doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction?

sometimes reality is how you frame it. have you ever watched any politics or films about court cases?
two people on opposite sides of an issue, with completely different takes on the same exact situation... because sometimes reality is how frame it and these two people frame it different ways and create different narratives.

ultimately what it comes down to is this

a video filmed at home with family members at a family reunion.
nobody is going to persecute someone for those circumstances its too ridiculous. relax.

you start submitting it to film festivals maybe thats different. youtube is fine.

Last edited:
They said you could make a home video.. but why did the one before her say you can’t?
The one before her is mistaken. There are no rules regarding your specific
situation so each person is just trying to make some sort of sense of it. Seems
at least one person tried to scare you (and did a great job) while another was
more accurate.

The only way your movie falls under the jurisdiction of SAG is if you, personally,
signed an agreement before you started filming. SAG has no jurisdiction over
this movie. Unless YOU give it to them. Drop it. Stop calling them. Your movie
was not made under the SAG agreement and there is no requirement to retroactively
sign with them.

There are hundreds of movies entered and accepted at film festivals each year
that have a SAG actor (or two or more) made without the SAG agreement. Yours
will be one of hundreds.

But I get the impression you're going to stress over this no matter what we say here.

Food for thought...I've produced and directed many "no budget" (non-union) films with SAG actors....some shorts, some features. I have never signed a SAG agreement. The actors who were SAG were aware of this. They were not worried about it AT ALL. My films have played in film festivals and have been available to the public for many years on VHS, DVDs, and on Amazon Prime. SAG never contacted or disciplined ANY of these actors. SAG doesn't care, and obviously the ACTORS don't give a crap either...

Food for thought...I've produced and directed many "no budget" (non-union) films with SAG actors....some shorts, some features. I have never signed a SAG agreement. The actors who were SAG were aware of this. They were not worried about it AT ALL. My films have played in film festivals and have been available to the public for many years on VHS, DVDs, and on Amazon Prime. SAG never contacted or disciplined ANY of these actors. SAG doesn't care, and obviously the ACTORS don't give a crap either...

That's so weird. Because the SAG office seems very serious. Even when I took a deep breath due to frustration.. she heard that and said no no... don't be frustrated, this is the way it is, and you are to do it our way if you want a sag actor, PERIOD.

Then you better get to work. You have a LOT of paperwork to do.

I, too, have produced and/or directed several movies using SAG actors without using any of their agreements. Got into film festivals, won awards (including some "Best Actor") and even distribution. Good luck, Joe Budd. It's a nightmare!

Believe whoever you want to. The people in the SAG office are are not GODS...they are just secretaries who work in an office for $11 an hour and say what they are told to say... Do whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back