cast I'm trying to finish a homemade family film. But there's an issue with SAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had already started shooting. We had a family reunion and filmed some parts. Part of it is acting but part of it is real. However there happens to be one person in family who is in Sag. I had never even heard of Sag. Most people haven't. And in order for me to complete the film, he happens to be a very important part. But I would need to fill out Sag Paper work. However, there's a problem. You would have to shoot 3 weeks after you signed and that includes all non union people. They said I would need all the last 4 digits of social security for every person I filmed. This has turned into a nightmare. Most of the movie was already filmed without even knowing that Sag exists.

So it appears there is no way I can release this film legitimately. Initially I just wanted to show it to family members and that was it. But now I found out you have all these other legal things going on.

I would have no problem paying him if that was what it took. But apparently they have to have every single person sign and their info and that would be unrealistic for me to track them down. Plus you need insurance. This breaks my heart as this family video was everything to me.

Is there any work around? Like this makes me disgusted as I am not in Sag, I'm not even a real filmmaker yet.

If I were to ever get famous in films, would they find out about this and kick me out forever? I'm so torn up thinking about this, it is hurting me inside.

Last edited:
NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. We are all trying to tell you this - forget it. Move on.

I would love to think that. But then what’s the point of having a union?

also please answer should I write a substitute script that just has the sag actors that way it looks like I at least filled something out for them.

They are going to hang you by your ankles until you die.
Is that what you want me to say?

IF you were a union actor NOW, they could kick you out of the union if YOU (not someone else) appeared in a non-union movie.

They are NOT going to keep this in a top secret file on the off chance that someday you might be successful.
Ain't gonna happen - it simply is not worth their time and effort.

And you are not listening/reading re non-sag actors: IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE NON-SAG AFTRA ACTORS AS LONG AS YOU USE THE ULTRA-LOW BUDGET CONTRACT.
Read the agreement and educate yourself. Please.

They are going to hang you by your ankles until you die.
Is that what you want me to say?

IF you were a union actor NOW, they could kick you out of the union if YOU (not someone else) appeared in a non-union movie.

They are NOT going to keep this in a top secret file on the off chance that someday you might be successful.
Ain't gonna happen - it simply is not worth their time and effort.

And you are not listening/reading re non-sag actors: IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE NON-SAG AFTRA ACTORS AS LONG AS YOU USE THE ULTRA-LOW BUDGET CONTRACT.
Read the agreement and educate yourself. Please.

but am I putting the actors in jeapordy?

Also what do you mean it doesn’t matter about the non sag actors?

You are running in circles.

No. SAG cannot kick you out for something you did as an amateur director.
When you are a big star you can keep your membership. You clearly do not
want to believe this.

The SAG agreement applies ONLY to producers who sign the agreement before
they make the movie. NOT after. Right now you have no obligation to follow
the SAG agreement. After you sign an agreement with SAG then you must follow
the agreement.

Yes, an actor who knowing appears in a nonsignatory film can be sanctioned.
That is always a "talking to". Nothing else. No actor has ever been kicked out
for appearing in a non guild movie. If an actor appears in many non guild films
they can be kicked out. In my experience "many" is usually over 25. I know many
SAG actors who have been in a dozen non guild movies and continue to do them.

That's why I asked you about the SAG actor in your movie. A question you didn't
answer. Please answer it.
I would love to think that. But then what’s the point of having a union?
The point of having a union is to protect the working environment and
pay scale. The union (in this case a "guild" not a union) does not have
any say or control over a movie made non union. Even after the movie
has been made.

also please answer should I write a substitute script that just has the sag actors that way it looks like I at least filled something out for them.
I'll answer your question even though you won't do me the same honor.

Yes. You should write a substitute script. Do all the SAG paperwork, make
that movie and release it.

I have another question (that you'll probably ignore, too): how many SAG
actors are in your family film?

Let me get this straight...

You filmed your family at a family reunion and youre worried about SAG?
wow. you must have a lot of stress and anxiety in your life.

If I were a union actor and someone from SAG came up to me upset I was filmed at a family reunion I would laugh in their face

Put that shit on youtube and move on unless you like doing paperwork and want to learn about SAG.
It seems like that isn't your cup of tea based on what ive read in this thread so my suggestion to you is to just put this on youtube

if you find that you like film making and you do want to try something to submit to a festival write a script and make your second project
the second one is always better than the first one anyway.

Good luck !!

Last edited:
Let me get this straight...

You filmed your family at a family reunion and youre worried about SAG?
wow. you must have a lot of stress and anxiety in your life.

If I were a union actor and someone from SAG came up to me upset I was filmed at a family reunion I would laugh in their face

Put that shit on youtube and move on unless you like doing paperwork and want to learn about SAG.
It seems like that isn't your cup of tea based on what ive read in this thread so my suggestion to you is to just put this on youtube

if you find that you like film making and you do want to try something to submit to a festival write a script and make your second project
the second one is always better than the first one anyway.

Good luck !!

yes I filmed at the reunion but he was putting on an act and I got other relatives to also do an act. And we did more film after the event and made it into a comedy. Sag says rules apply to all movies.

yes I filmed at the reunion but he was putting on an act and I got other relatives to also do an act.

that is completely irrelevant. putting on an act and having fun is something you do at reunions, this time you filmed it.

who gives a shit ?? nobody lol

Last edited:
You are running in circles.

No. SAG cannot kick you out for something you did as an amateur director.
When you are a big star you can keep your membership. You clearly do not
want to believe this.

The SAG agreement applies ONLY to producers who sign the agreement before
they make the movie. NOT after. Right now you have no obligation to follow
the SAG agreement. After you sign an agreement with SAG then you must follow
the agreement.

Yes, an actor who knowing appears in a nonsignatory film can be sanctioned.
That is always a "talking to". Nothing else. No actor has ever been kicked out
for appearing in a non guild movie. If an actor appears in many non guild films
they can be kicked out. In my experience "many" is usually over 25. I know many
SAG actors who have been in a dozen non guild movies and continue to do them.

That's why I asked you about the SAG actor in your movie. A question you didn't
answer. Please answer it.

The point of having a union is to protect the working environment and
pay scale. The union (in this case a "guild" not a union) does not have
any say or control over a movie made non union. Even after the movie
has been made.

I'll answer your question even though you won't do me the same honor.

Yes. You should write a substitute script. Do all the SAG paperwork, make
that movie and release it.

I have another question (that you'll probably ignore, too): how many SAG
actors are in your family film?

I don’t mean to ignore your question I just don’t understand it. Please repeat it regarding the sag actors. There is actually 2. One is a family member and the other just did it as a favor. Not sure why they aren’t worried.

I should write a substitute script for sag anyways? What I meant was the parts they are in. Should I get approval for those parts? And then just use them for my unofficial movie with all the actors? Or is that opening up a can of worms?

I don’t mean to ignore your question I just don’t understand it. Please repeat it regarding the sag actors.
Okay. I asked:
"What does “Uncle Bob” say about this? Have you told him you now want
to release this film?"

I used "Uncle Bob" in place of writing "the family member who is a SAG member"
because it is faster.

Have you talked to the SAG members in your movie about wanting to change
this project from just showing it to family members to entering it in film festivals
and trying release this film legitimately?

What did they say?

Okay. I asked:
"What does “Uncle Bob” say about this? Have you told him you now want
to release this film?"

I used "Uncle Bob" in place of writing "the family member who is a SAG member"
because it is faster.

Have you talked to the SAG members in your movie about wanting to change
this project from just showing it to family members to entering it in film festivals
and trying release this film legitimately?

What did they say?

oh... well at first he’s like yea I’m sorry ... if you really must go through with all the paperwork then I’ll sign when you’re ready. He didn’t seem too concerned. When I told him I need all the socials from the non union actors and bla bla bla he was shocked.
The other guy really enjoyed the scene he did. He said he’ll sign if I need it.

so they don’t seem very worried for some reason even though they are serious actors.

no you filmed your family playing around at a family reunion.
im trying to help you out here joe not diminish your film.

but we also filmed afterwards and I told them to say certain things to the camera. And when I put all these things together it’s like a movie montage. It is so funny.
They are begging that a certain family member can be allowed to come and the sag actor is not sure if that person should be allowed.

but the point is that I used these scenes so perfectly that the montage it creates is like a comedy movie. In the end the guy can come to the reunion because sag actors hypnotized him. Then the other sag actor I filmed him in backyard wearing a wig and he was losing his mind after being punished.

but the thing is it’s still acting.

Last edited:
All the proper advice is here for you to read if you want to read back. In other words. IT'S ALL GOOD MAN! Move on! ;)

oh... well at first he’s like yea I’m sorry ... if you really must go through with all the paperwork then I’ll sign when you’re ready. He didn’t seem too concerned. When I told him I need all the socials from the non union actors and bla bla bla he was shocked.
The other guy really enjoyed the scene he did. He said he’ll sign if I need it.

so they don’t seem very worried for some reason even though they are serious actors.
They aren't worried because they know there is nothing to worry about.

It is extremely rare (I do not know of even one example) for an actor to be
punished by SAG for a situation like yours. Most actors, even serious ones,
occasionally work in non guild movies.

I have worked with several SAG actors on non SAG films. None of them
have ever heard a word from the guild. And they continue to work in SAG
films.

So you now know that YOU will never face any sanctions or blacklisting in the
future. Now it's time you discuss the issue with the two SAG members in your
movie.

Of course they are willing to sign, but as you point out, getting everyone who
appeared in the movie signed up is unrealistic, so it all comes down to them.
Ask if they are willing to let you enter some film festivals with them in the movie.
No SAG contract. Ask them about using a different name on the poster and
promotional material.

If they are not worried then you shouldn't be worried. Finish that movie and enter
film festivals.

They said home video does not require a signatory, however if it was made for the intent of being financed for future development it would. She highlighted DOES NOT. We also called and they said home videos are fine. Although one time I called and they said doesn't matter.. it's a big deal and you must comply.

However, I'm confused because I read on the site that Global Rule one means no non profit, commercial, no low budget, nothing...

I'm not sure what it means where it reads the only exceptions are jurisdictions where we don't have collective bargaining agreement.

So it's a little confusing. Because when you call... One person will say that you need permission no matter what and another person will say you're fine. Sag is not really consistent or at least the impression I get is they don't know how to sound consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back