I'm Australian... so umm.. G'Day

Hello,

So, brass tac's and all that.
I'm Mark, together with my younger brother Paul, I'll be diving into making a short film (and hopefully more) during the course of the next few months.
We are both amateurs when it comes to film making, him having done some film/tv in high school, and me being a "student" of cinema.

Our 1st project is on the ambitious side. We will be shooting a "zombie" movie.
we have an ultra micro (re:zero) budget, and as such will be doing everything ourselves, from lighting to special effects.

I will no doubt go into much more detail in my future visits here, but for now, i'd like to ask your opinions on the camera that we will be using (borrowed from family)

The camera is a JVC Everio GZ-MG37AA 30gb HDD.

It has no audio input jack but does have manual focus/white balance.

Also if you could recommend a descent cheap Mic and audio recorder we might look into that as well.

I'd like in particular to hear from MangofanDango and Wheatgrinder, as it was their work that lead me to this place :D

G'day, mate!

Welcome and glad to see you here! Ask your audio question in the "Equipment and Gear" forum and you'll get more answers then you can shake a didgeridoo at!

Whats your budget is the first question Ill ask..

so the budget for our film is...well.. around $1000.

but that will include the sound equip :(
and with Insurance costing $900, our options are limited.
not to worry though, we will adapt our story to what we can use, 'steal' the shots that we can, and call in some favors, and i'm sure we can pull off what we want.
most of the effects we can do ourselves on the cheap, or even free.

we are experimenting at the moment with a 'head shot' rig.
basically a belt/vest with a vertical mount chamber worn on the back, a removable chamber that can be filled with goo (blood, brain chunks and what not) connected to a air compressor that can be fired via a trigger by the actor. shoot from the front, preferably against a wall, and SPLAT.
looks good so far, when i get some time i'll post photo's of the rig as well as some test footage.

:D

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

surprised me too!

Iv always wanted to be "somebody", guess I should have been more specific.. <bada boom>

I knew it! Wheatgrinder quietly has a secret million dollar stash left over from his last signing bonus!

The jiggs up, man! :D

Welcome to this particular universe, you won't be bored here :)

Back