If you doubt DSLR?

I have to admit, when I first started hearing about them, I hated them. I thought that anything but a real camera was an awful way of shooting a film. But then I actually watched some short films people had done with them, and I love them. I still hate iPhone movies though. I've seen videos shot on those and I still think it is the worst way of shooting a film.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of affordable HD video cameras come out of this - we've just ordered a Sony NEX VG10 for our film (the Panasonic is too expensive) but this is just the tip of the iceberg - things are going to continue to change for the better for low-budget filmmakers :)

I still want Synch sound with XLR Input for what I do. It's a new world and the old way of separating these things adding workflow overhead later shouldn't apply... we have the technology, I for one want to utilize it... and adding a preamp is not my ideal solution (although I wouldn't mind doing it if the sound capture had high enough resolution).

I'm still not sold on the whole saving to a card workflow though as I REALLY like to have physical backups of my data.

XLR would've been nice on the VG10 but Sony likes to keep to keep its consumer and pro products clearly separated (hence the lack of 24p) - still, the Sony is supposed to have uncompressed HDMI out so we're planning on hooking it up to an Atomos Ninja to capture straight to ProResHQ - we'll be recording to the SD as well in AVCHD so we've got a nifty (though lesser quality) backup if anything goes wrong...

Personally, I still won't shoot on one, but hopefully they'(as someone else said) drive down the price on "real" cameras.

Or here is a million dollar idea. Take the technology you are using (camera companies) fix the stuff that sucks, use a better codec, put it in a bigger body, and make a damn video camera. Newsflash (camera companies), there is a market in the sub 5000 range for a prosumer camera that uses standard 35mm camera lenses.

Last edited:
Newsflash (camera companies), there is a market in the sub 5000 range for a prosumer camera that uses standard 35mm camera lenses.

Well, in fairness that's exactly what Sony and Panasonic (with the AG-AF100) are doing. The Panasonic was looking good 'til the price went up from $6,000 to $10,000 - at $10k I expect it to come with a better codec than AVCHD. It's a better camera than the Sony but is it 5 times better? Not to me - though it may be to some.

Also, Canon has yet to enter this arena - after the Rebel, the 5D and the 7D, expectations are very high as to what they'll deliver in a prosumer DSLR camcorder - I don't have time to wait for it but I suspect they'll blow both Sony and Panasonic's offerings out of the water.

I still hate iPhone movies though. I've seen videos shot on those and I still think it is the worst way of shooting a film.
Why does it matter to you what camera is used?

If you see a movie that is well written, well directed,
well edited, well acted, funny (or scary or sad or dramatic)
with great sound and good music do you then check to
find out what camera was used? And when you find out
an iPhone was used you then hate it?

Of course you are going to hate a bad movie. I suspect
you would hate a bad movie shot on a Panavision or Arri.

If a filmmaker wants to use an iPhone - because they have
no other camera or because they want the challenge - why
do you think that is the worst way of shooting a film?

I agree directorik, I just posted this because I'm kinda tired of filmmakers saying that DSLR sucks just because it doesn't look like a camera with a bigger body. Use your mind and create a good story and not this junk we see out there. Build a good foundation and bam everything flows from that. These DSLRs offer an awesome picture with an affordable price. Now you can worry about the story cause at least you know shooting with one of these cameras it will look good.

I agree directorik, I just posted this because I'm kinda tired of filmmakers saying that DSLR sucks just because it doesn't look like a camera with a bigger body. Use your mind and create a good story and not this junk we see out there. Build a good foundation and bam everything flows from that. These DSLRs offer an awesome picture with an affordable price. Now you can worry about the story cause at least you know shooting with one of these cameras it will look good.

As long as you don't whip pan, or shoot fast moving objects, or project on a big screen.

I agree that the camera is NOT everything, and filmmakers obsess over it WAY too much. A T2i is "good enough" to shoot a feature film on. That doesn't mean I wouldn't rather shoot on something better. If it's all you can afford, it's all you can afford. I could only afford to hire a guy withan HVX200a on my last two films. The footage is "good enough", but that doesn't mean I don't hope to move on to something better.

Gonzo it's all perspective. Some people would consider a DSLR camera a move up.

It was for me. :)

Also, I agree with Aegis -- my intuition tells me that Canon, driven by the market, and after seeing what Sony and Panasonic are doing, is going to come out with a badass, inexpensive video-first DSLR. Only time will tell, but I suspect most filmmaker/videographers will be using completely different technology in just a few years.

Panasonic haven't officially announced the pricing for it in the US and EU yet - all we know is that in Japan it's $10,000 - can't imagine they'd sell it for half the price in the US/EU.

Panasonic haven't officially announced the pricing for it in the US and EU yet - all we know is that in Japan it's $10,000 - can't imagine they'd sell it for half the price in the US/EU.

Here's the European press release with a price of €4900.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_ag-af101/

Furthermore, Jan Crittenden Livingston, the product manager for Panasonic's US Broadcast division tweeted that the US MSRP will be $4995.

Http://www.twitter.com/JanCrittenden

Please do your research next time. A quick google search would have revealed this.

Please do your research next time. A quick google search would have revealed this.

I did - so far this press release (on the 10th) is the only official word on pricing.

Available in December with a tentative RRP of 4,900 euro. Excl. VAT

Note the 'tentatively' - 3 days later the Japan price of $10,000 was announced - no further pricing info has been revealed (aside from those Tweets) - all I'm saying is that Panasonic worded their press release purposefully so they could revise the pricing should they need to - in my opinion, the $5,000 price is by no means guaranteed yet.

I hope you're right though :)

Gonzo it's all perspective. Some people would consider a DSLR camera a move up.

And from a consumer cam, even an HV30 or HV40 consumer cam it is. You could even argue that it's a move up from a couple generations ago prosumer cam (XL2, etc...). That doesn't mean it's the "answer" to a sub $5000 camera that will shoot near hollywood grade cinematography. You still have to spend 25K plus to get that. Personally I'm a renter. I don't even own a consumer handycam.

Back