• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ideas

if someone has an idea and u think u can do it better is it stealing????? someone has an idea i heard for a screenplay and i just wanted to know bc i think i can do it better acxtually i know i can bc im more familiar with the subject.......

You'll want to consult an attorney, but I imagine it hinges on how much of the idea you'd be co-opting. If someone wants to do a movie about skiing, and you think you can do a better movie about skiing because you know more about skiing, I don't think that qualifies as intellectual property theft. But if someone wants to do a movie about a skier named Pasquale who crashes into a ski patrolwoman and falls in love with her, and you steal that story, it might be.

if someone has an idea and u think u can do it better is it stealing????? someone has an idea i heard for a screenplay and i just wanted to know bc i think i can do it better acxtually i know i can bc im more familiar with the subject.......
An idea cannot be copyrighted. An idea cannot be "stolen".

For example: if you think you can write a better script about
people who crash on an island than "Lost", you can use that
idea. That idea "a group of people stranded on an island" has
been used often.

all that is taboo is not criminal and the other way around too!

Just because you can, dont mean you should. Is it really so GREAT an idea that you just HAVE to do it RIGHT NOW? Ideas are easy..

Can you put this idea aside for a few months?

Sound to me like you just want to compete with the other guy.. good fun, but its not a good reason to write a screen play..

In one sentence, what is the IDEA that you are so in love with? And this crew will reply with a million ANGLES on that idea..

so if two ppl are writing the same script based on an idea that someone else had its ok not taboo.......... bc i know i got this

You are being really, really vague AvsB.

If two people are writing a script based on the idea of a
skier falling in love or survivors on an island, it's okay. I
get the impression you are asking about a situation that
is very specific - like someone you know has an idea you
think you can write better. Am I wrong?

Legally, you can write any script you want, based on any
idea you like. Even if you heard the idea from someone
else. However, it seems you may have a problem. But there
is no way to give good advice because you are avoiding the
specifics. So my answer is very, very vague. If two people
are writing a different script (not the same script) from an
idea that someone else has, is is usually okay because an
idea cannot be copyrighted.

But there are exceptions. If you happen to fall into one of
the exceptions, then it's not okay.

not ur idea little turtle be rest assured on that mayne...... my friend was talking bout an idea for a story and i thought about and decided that i could turn it into a screenplay.... the idea was about a state track meet and the backstoies of 3 of the kids running in the meet and how they got to that particualr moment bc we were discussing the movie Prefontaine...... and in my mind already i got the characters and even wrote the opening already....... if yall want me to post it.....

So you are worried about writing a script about the same idea as a
friend of yours. A very real worry.

Legally you can write a script about the kids running in a track
meet. That is an idea that cannot be copyrighted. But only YOU can
answer if you feel it’s ethical to write a script based on the
exact same story as a friend of yours. Legally it isn’t
“stealing”. Would your friend like the idea of you writing this
script? Or would your friend have a problem with you writing your
own script about the kids running in a track meet?

That sounds like you are taking a huge part of his idea and spreading out.
This is why I don't share any of my ideas with anyone.

I would bet a dollar to a donut that if you took this idea and made your movie - your friendship would be under stress.
If it were me and I liked this idea, I would work with him on it. Otherwise create your own idea.

Legal or not, its a question of your friendship here. He may not and probably could not sue you because he told you his idea of a movie but the fact that its based on three lives of runners entering a race...a little too close.

Either work with him or come up with your own idea from scratch.

thanx for the advice ill talk to him bout it, bc ive grown up arond runners and heck my best friend ran for the all army team and one won olypmic gold in Sydney...... so i know alot about this subject ill keep u updated on it after i talk to him after work.....

Your knowledge of running wont necessarily make you story any better, just more accurate.

With all drama, the story is never about what the story is about. Sure, its about three guys entering a race, but REALLY its about three individuals and personal struggles to overcome "x" (x being the barrier to getting where they want to be)

The "race" is only a metaphor for some BIGGER meaning your trying to express..
You expertise might give you better "credibility" when it comes to what shoes the runners are wearing, but it doesn't give you any special insight into human nature and what it means to struggle to overcome. That's not saying you don't have those insights, just pointing out that expertise in one field doesn't translate to another. That's why good writers do research, and being an indie you can get as accurate as you care to with your research. Your friend might have a great story, and he can make up for his missing information by research, but if all you have is "information" about running, you'll have the harder time to come up with a good story.

good luck

yeah i c what ur sayin but basically the underlying story will be about struggle, and some told in flashback so we can get a background on their lives and look into their lives as they prepare for the race on race day..... and how they got that moment

yeah i c what ur sayin but basically the underlying story will be about struggle, and some told in flashback so we can get a background on their lives and look into their lives as they prepare for the race on race day..... and how they got that moment

One question you need to know the answer to:

"Is this a movie ABOUT running?"

It might not be exactly clear at this time if its a "running" movie, or a movie where running is the backdrop for the drama.

Pretend that this is the ending shot:

The runners all lined up on the blocks, the starting pistol fires..
roll credits.

If your story can end here and still be a complete story, then your story is a drama where running is the backdrop. But if the STORY will be incomplete until the race is run, then your story is ABOUT running and the drama is back story.

By the way, just because the story CAN end without the race, doesn't mean it should. The question is just an exercise to discover what your script is about. That way, as you write scenes you can know what important to the story and whats not.

just thinkin out loud here..

i feel ya and a quick update, he mentioned the idea outloud in hopes that i would write it, so that solves that issue........ but the story ends im thinking after the race bc the race itself is important to the characters.... so i guess the drama is the backstory

ah, dont take my word for it.. im a noob.. :)

With the race you have lots of interesting options.. you might start the movie with the start of the race. As they wait on the starting blocks.. you flash back to some previous difficulty.. and as the race starts and is running, you keep flashing back to more and more dramatic events. until by the time the race is over the viewer knows who "should" win, maybe the underdog, or the runner with the greatest trials.. but you get to have fun by deciding. Depending on "who" wins the race, your story might end on a DOWN note.. "ah man, the guy who always cheats wins, that sucks!", or something like that.. cant wait to see where this goes..

Back