Ideas for production company name?

I don't have a production company; whatever short films I end up making in the near future, it'll probably be just me doing the work, with a friends as actors/crew. However I do see a lot of amateur filmmakers who use an original name.

I want to have an intro with a decent name I'll use for my shorts so if you guys can throw out some ideas it will be appreciated.

Something like: ___________ productions.
____________ studios.
____________ films.

I kinda liked "Left-Wing Studios" because it had a nice sound to it, but it implied that everything I made would have to be "radical" and the like. I do want to make something with some sort of message, but not everything I want to film will be political.

So ideas please! Thanks :D

Broken Wing Studios
Not left or right, since both are broken ;)

Make it personal, dude. The name "Cracker Funk" has a story behind it. It has absolutely no meaning, except to the people who know the story. And that makes it fun.

I'm sure you and your friends have an inside-joke that would make a fun production company name.

Make it personal, dude. The name "Cracker Funk" has a story behind it.

The same here. My first "studio" was in an alcove in my (very tiny) living room.

Also, being political can cost you work - unless you don't care about that...

@indietalk: whether or not that was a serious suggestion, it was a brilliant one! It sounds cool.

@Cracker and Alcove: Yeah, a name with a story behind it is always better. I suppose I'll have to get more creative.

Thanks for the help! :)

I would strongly advise against 'Left-Wing Studios' because almost everyone will assume that you are working with a political agenda (whether you are or not).

Anything I produce I do under the slogan 'The Clapper Bored' with the suffix 'Films' for any productions. I used to use 'Pain Threshold Productions' but don't anymore, so you can have it if you like :D

I like Broken Wing Studios.

The best name ever, wheatgrinder, is taken, sorry. :)

Its both earthy and natural (wheat) but then its thrashed in a garbage disposal(grinder)

actually, I was signing up for some free studio magazines and was supposed to be provide a company name.. looked around and saw my mother-in-laws broken wheat grinder .. the rest is history..

Okay!

There are way too many production companies that made the mistake of naming their company after their first movie. Is there life after their first movie? That's like getting a tattoo with a heart of your name and your first love's name. What happens when you breakup?

I named my company Modern Day Myth Productions because I am specialized in science fiction, fantasy, horror, action adventure, and ancient religions known today as myths. I like to take something old and do something new with it. That's where Modern Day Myth Productions comes from. Take my latest production. It has Amazons, Greek gods, and cyborgs that are tied to the Frankenstein story of a modern day Prometheus. Project Prometheus was the project in the original I, Creator of taking alien technology from another star system to reverse engineer it to build an army of cyborgs.

So, there again, I live up to the name.

Think of a mission statement for your production company. It will help you come up with a name.

Pennsylvania has stupid laws regarding company names, it must contain your surname, or you have to follow Fictitious Names laws, which, once is all said and done will cost anywhere between $200 and $500... So, when I started a small business to produce model decals, I went with NetzlofDesign. After I began taking senior pictures and working on movie ideas, I added Productions or Studios to the end.

The first little 5 minute You Tube bike video I did was produced by legendaryrandyericksenfilms. Neither me nor the films were. Now when I am out filming races everybody calls me "legendary". It's still not true but people remember it.

The more I think of the name Broken Wing Studios, the more I like it. However, a quick google search showed me that "Broken Wing Studios" is a very small recording studio on Myspace. Its just a simple page so I can probably get away with using that name.

Also, "Broken Wing Productions" is an actual filmmaking company. They have a website and do seem kind of official so I wouldn't want to use that.

My question is, can I get away with using the "studios" variation if the " productions" variation already exists?

Thanks

How about "Poof Productions" since all of your spendible income will go poof on gear?

I already Googled it and it is free and clear, although the folks at Proof Productions will lose their speech impediment following out of utter frustration.

Me personally I wouldn't use studios as it sounds like a large company. Films or productions seems more appropriate for yourself. Stay away from using someone eleses name even if it is slightly close. Stay away from a name like scary films incase in ten years you decide to change genre. And don't get it tatooed on yourself like I did and decide you don't like the name 5 years later. Get a pen and paper and write every word you like such as wing. Then write another colum with other words you like such as golden, silver,left, right,big ect ect and start matching different names. I've been doing this for three months now with no luck but maybe you will. I also don't mind cinema instead of films. As in brain farm cinema.

It's can't be a film company if there isn't some obscure film reference in it! C'mon people!

Watch all your favorite movies (old, black and white, obscure, French is good) and pick something, like names of characters, bits of dialog or fictitious company names.

And you're good. No probs.

It's can't be a film company if there isn't some obscure film reference in it! C'mon people!

A little confused on this. Can you explain please?

He means just what he said; the name of your production company should have a reference in some way to the film industry. "Bad Hat Harry Productions" is one of the producers of the TV show "House".

This is their vanity card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5TAy7hJ_8&NR=1

It is a reference to this scene in the film "Jaws".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSo5fNkNKlw

His suggestion is to pull something obscure from your favorite or other film for the name of your production company.

Back