I played 2nd Camera and had no idea what was going on.

Long Title - I was 2nd camera in an indie short that started tonight. No script for me, no shot list, I was just expected to know what the actors would do. 7D with a shit lens and a $200 tripod. They were counting on a 7D to make the shots fantastic. I did what I could, but I want to beat a newbie senseless. Looking for volunteers. :lol:

Seriously, looking for volunteers. ;)

I could understand the lack of a shooting script and the expectation that DSLRs are magic from a completely hapless newb.

But no regular script? How does that even happen? Did they not have copies for themselves?

And what's wrong with a $200 tripod?

I could understand the lack of a shooting script and the expectation that DSLRs are magic from a completely hapless newb.

But no regular script? How does that even happen? Did they not have copies for themselves?

And what's wrong with a $200 tripod?

I had no script and a $200 tripod sucks ass. No offense to the people that own $200.00 tripods. :cool: But they are useless unless you are taking stills.

Scripts were free to the homeless, but not all of the crew.

I think I've vented my frustrations....Ahhh...feel better. Thanks, Wombat. ;)

oo oo pick me.. to get you started..

your just a camera op, just do what I tell you and shut up, I mean really, how hard can it be?

:lol: Oh, boy, was I wound up when I got home (as you can tell).

My confession is it's all about professional pride. We were "making do" with what we had and stretching that well beyond what it was designed for. I guess I'm just at a stage where that isn't cool anymore and it gnaws at me, especially since it wasn't necessary.

Rant over. I was grateful for take 3 because it allowed me time to have a clue of what the %&&^# was going on. :lol:

I have an exasperated expresion at work when our equipment fails that likely relates to your experience:

"I want to do a good job.
But the sh!t equipment (direction, in your case, Cam) they give me prevents me from doing the good and ethical job I could be doing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVS_SYyXe8
It's not your fault.

On a serious note, I've been in that situation. It sucks being on the crew of an unprepared film. If they can't prepare to the point of having scripts available for crew, how much have they prepared at all? Sometimes you just have to make the best of it, and do the best you can in the situation. It might turn out horribly, but just remember you're not to blame.

*I love you guys*

Haha! :lol:

Just what I needed and it's appreciated. The funny part is I had to interview for this donation of time. I might have to flip that part of the equation next time. At least on these types of shoots, I think I'll stick to DP or nothing. At least I can generate my own headaches for the money that way.

The last professional shoot I was on I was actually an extra and watched them set up a giant reflector across the street for extra daylight through the windows. In the time it took them to set that up, we had already shot a page in this movie. I'm ready for bigger things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVS_SYyXe8
It's not your fault.

On a serious note, I've been in that situation. It sucks being on the crew of an unprepared film. If they can't prepare to the point of having scripts available for crew, how much have they prepared at all? Sometimes you just have to make the best of it, and do the best you can in the situation. It might turn out horribly, but just remember you're not to blame.

This clip cracked me up. Making the best of it is what I have to do. We have 4 more weekend shoots and I made a commitment, so I'll be there. Te actors really had their stuff down, so that was a bright spot.

Haha. Yeah.... I can understand the second camera not seeing the script, that's actually sort of normal. Of course, your DP is supposed to communicate clearly in normal situation too.

I'm quoting a project for someone that wants to shoot about 12 pages in 4 hours :O

I showed them some work, explained what takes so long, then they decided to go with the "stage play" wide shots route. It's fine, they're paying, but yeah I know what you mean "ready to move up."

Nothing wrong with a $200 tripod if you know what you're doing.

For sure, a $200 tripod is far better than not having a tripod at all. That being said, an actual high quality broadcast tripod offers far beyond what typical $200 tripod has to offer. I've been looking forward to trying out the Sachtler Ace tripod. It's hard to describe, but there is a distinct difference between budget solutions and quality tripod systems. From reviews such as Philip Bloom's it seems that the new Sachtler Ace might bridge that gap between consumer and pro tripods.

This clip cracked me up. Making the best of it is what I have to do. We have 4 more weekend shoots and I made a commitment, so I'll be there. Te actors really had their stuff down, so that was a bright spot.

Heh, I'm glad you enjoyed my clip. Don't beat yourself up over the project. Even if it ends up being mediocre you've hopefully learned some lessons from the production.

Heh, I'm glad you enjoyed my clip. Don't beat yourself up over the project. Even if it ends up being mediocre you've hopefully learned some lessons from the production.

You're right and I've already learned a few things. There are people who eat, sleep, and breath story and acting and the same for the technical side geeking out every detail and using the right tool for the job. Bringing these people together and letting them do their thing is when the magic happens. On their own, they can have a great story and no production value or great production value and no story.

I tried to help people like this once or twice and I just can't do it anymore. It leaves me too frustrated and pissed off.

If they don't have a "real" script (not some scribbles on a sheet of paper) and if it's not apparent they have done some real pre-production (let me see the shot list) then I'm out of there. People think you just point the magic box at something and a movie comes out.

$200 tripods are fine as long as you don't plan on panning or tilting or following anybody. If you actually want to use it on a film then usable tripods (head only) start at about $300. I paid $500 for my head and legs and I consider it just barely good enough to bring on a set. Hopefully upgrade in the future.

Nothing wrong with a $200 tripod if you know what you're doing.

I apologize to the $200 tripod crowd. I didn't offer much explanation.

If you plan absolutely no camera movement, they work great. The "If you know what you're doing" part of your post wasn't necessary. No hard feelings, though. I've been there.

I tried to help people like this once or twice and I just can't do it anymore. It leaves me too frustrated and pissed off.

If they don't have a "real" script (not some scribbles on a sheet of paper) and if it's not apparent they have done some real pre-production (let me see the shot list) then I'm out of there. People think you just point the magic box at something and a movie comes out.

$200 tripods are fine as long as you don't plan on panning or tilting or following anybody. If you actually want to use it on a film then usable tripods (head only) start at about $300. I paid $500 for my head and legs and I consider it just barely good enough to bring on a set. Hopefully upgrade in the future.

My personal rig is about the same cost. Not the best, but I know what it can do and anticipate accordingly. I was told not to bring it because "we have everything." I told the dp that next time I'm using my own stuff and he was cool with it. That's progress right there. This will work out better, but we have 2 pages of suck already printed. :lol:

My tripod was $99.99 back in 1997. I still use it, but only if I am pointing the camera and not moving it at all.

One of these days I will buy a good tripod. One of these days. Until then, the DP I work with brings the good tripod. :)

Back