I need help learning DaVinci Resolve to edit my latest short film

Hello to all Indietalkers,
I would like ask, if I have both a Boom and a Radio Mic audio track for a clip, and both are pretty good, do I use them both or choose one and run with it? (happy to disable the other so it's available if need be)
Cheers,
Roger Nelson

Hi and welcome to IT

You dont want both playing at once if thats what youre saying. it'll make it weird.
pick whatever sounds best, probably the boom, and then if theres a particular line or scene with audio issues look to the radio mic for a backup

There's a significant amount of youtube training available for Resolve. I think Sean has already answered your specific question, but I'd add that even though the basics are fairly intuitive, you'd be doing yourself a favor to take the time to really learn what the intended use and function of all the main tabs are. Resolve might surprise you. There's actually a lot more going on under the hood than it appears on the surface.

1. Did you know that you can stack vst's on the channels and master bus in the fairlight mixing tab? It's got an entire basic production suite for sound built in, and the vst support makes it modular, if you want to focus on sculpting sound for future projects. One mic would need a different EQ than another, and you can set up an EQ for each in that tab, in case you have to cut between mics for some reason. You can add a consolidating reverb to better define a unified space.

2. Did you know that in addition to the simplified key FX on the editing timeline, you can set up custom and morphing keys in both the color tabs and the node (fusion) tabs?

3. Did you know that you could copy color grades from one clip to another with one click in the colorist page?

4. Did you know that you can set your whole project to a reduced resolution during edit in the project settings menu, and then just reset it to 4k 1 second before output, giving you faster editing, fx previews, and scrubbing during the edit?

Spend a few hours on some free intro to resolve youtube videos, and you'll save yourself a lot of time later on, and have a better quality product from the start.

Hi and welcome to IT

You dont want both playing at once if thats what youre saying. it'll make it weird.
pick whatever sounds best, probably the boom, and then if theres a particular line or scene with audio issues look to the radio mic for a backup
Many thanks for your kind and rapid reply. I'm loving DVR and loving the learning process as well. And it's really wonderful to have a bit of support when I have a question. Hope some day I can give back as well. I started with the free version, but a few days ago purchased the Studion version to gain access to features like Voice Isolator.
Cheers,
Roger Nelson (from Chicago but living in Sydney for the last 27 years)

There's a significant amount of youtube training available for Resolve. I think Sean has already answered your specific question, but I'd add that even though the basics are fairly intuitive, you'd be doing yourself a favor to take the time to really learn what the intended use and function of all the main tabs are. Resolve might surprise you. There's actually a lot more going on under the hood than it appears on the surface.

1. Did you know that you can stack vst's on the channels and master bus in the fairlight mixing tab? It's got an entire basic production suite for sound built in, and the vst support makes it modular, if you want to focus on sculpting sound for future projects. One mic would need a different EQ than another, and you can set up an EQ for each in that tab, in case you have to cut between mics for some reason. You can add a consolidating reverb to better define a unified space.

2. Did you know that in addition to the simplified key FX on the editing timeline, you can set up custom and morphing keys in both the color tabs and the node (fusion) tabs?

3. Did you know that you could copy color grades from one clip to another with one click in the colorist page?

4. Did you know that you can set your whole project to a reduced resolution during edit in the project settings menu, and then just reset it to 4k 1 second before output, giving you faster editing, fx previews, and scrubbing during the edit?

Spend a few hours on some free intro to resolve youtube videos, and you'll save yourself a lot of time later on, and have a better quality product from the start.
Hello Nate and many thanks,
1. Are the VSTs you refer to - Virtual Studio Technology?
2. Wow I have so much to learn that I need to answer no to all your questions except #4. I've watched hours of YouTube videos, and also Blackmagic videos, and just scratching the surface.
Looking forward to more.....
Cheers,

Hello Nate and many thanks,
1. Are the VSTs you refer to - Virtual Studio Technology?
2. Wow I have so much to learn that I need to answer no to all your questions except #4. I've watched hours of YouTube videos, and also Blackmagic videos, and just scratching the surface.
Looking forward to more.....
Cheers,
Yes, virtual studio technology. Not sure if you're already familliar, but in case not, it's basically a communication standard for audio processing and it's associated controls and format that allows modular communication. So, like a guitar rack mount unit, but you can sync data such as tempo across mix and match vst setups. Like this, but built in selectable from the mixing panel. If you have no VSTs, I'd check into Valhalla Reverb, and then move on to "top" lists of vst production and mastering plugins. Then just use that tiny plus button above the track fader to add them to individual mix tracks. Valhalla and many other good plugins are free, and due to market oversaturation, many great paid plugins are now at all time low pricing, so it's a buyers market for custom audio solutions.

1698471431051.png

Last edited:
I would like ask, if I have both a Boom and a Radio Mic audio track for a clip, and both are pretty good, do I use them both or choose one and run with it? (happy to disable the other so it's available if need be)
Cheers,
Roger Nelson
In response to your original question, you can take all your audio sources and have Resolve automatically sync and append them to your video clip. When you then insert part of the video to the timeline, you'll have access to both audio sources and can choose which you want, or even change them later. It's pretty cool!

Yes, virtual studio technology. Not sure if you're already familliar, but in case not, it's basically a communication standard for audio processing and it's associated controls and format that allows modular communication. So, like a guitar rack mount unit, but you can sync data such as tempo across mix and match vst setups. Like this, but built in selectable from the mixing panel. If you have no VSTs, I'd check into Valhalla Reverb, and then move on to "top" lists of vst production and mastering plugins. Then just use that tiny plus button above the track fader to add them to individual mix tracks. Valhalla and many other good plugins are free, and due to market oversaturation, many great paid plugins are now at all time low pricing, so it's a buyers market for custom audio solutions.

1698471431051.png
Thanks again Nate. So much to learn and so little time..........I do love the technology........

In response to your original question, you can take all your audio sources and have Resolve automatically sync and append them to your video clip. When you then insert part of the video to the timeline, you'll have access to both audio sources and can choose which you want, or even change them later. It's pretty cool!
Thanks, Chris. My audio files have 3 channels, and it has dawned on me that even if I delete all but one of those channels from the timeline, I can access the other channels easily using "Clip attributes." Very cool as you say.

May I ask for feedback?.......I have been using Voice Isolator to remove background noise from dialogue, and I feel it's working very well. So now I believe I can put in a room tone (atmos) of my own choosing, one that was not recorded the day we shot (actually we neglected to record atmos on our main interior). I realise I can also download room tones. Does this all sound okay to do?
Thanks,
Roger

May I ask for feedback?.......I have been using Voice Isolator to remove background noise from dialogue, and I feel it's working very well. So now I believe I can put in a room tone (atmos) of my own choosing, one that was not recorded the day we shot (actually we neglected to record atmos on our main interior). I realise I can also download room tones. Does this all sound okay to do?
Thanks,
Roger

Yeah that can work as long as the room tone you choose is consistent throughout the scene.
Sometimes you also have to fade in/fade out the dialogue to help make it smoother.

I personally have not had much success with voice isolator, but if it works for you then great

Yeah that can work as long as the room tone you choose is consistent throughout the scene.
Sometimes you also have to fade in/fade out the dialogue to help make it smoother.

I personally have not had much success with voice isolator, but if it works for you then great
Thanks for the feedback

For fading in and out clips of dialogue, do I need to manually do each clip, or can I apply it to the whole track somehow?
Thanks

Cheers,
Roger Nelson
NOT AN AUGIO ENGINEER .... BUT i assume you should use just one for the product, only using the other to sync the video to the main audio.

while some might think that using both is ok, it's my guess is that Audiophiles
(the peeps that spend tens of thousands of $$$ on just the "perfect" speakers to match that $3,000 turntable & diamond needle cartridge)
actually can hear difference between the two AND may even "feel" impurities on a merged soundtrack

not me, i'm a "tin gong" except when I'm inspired to sing, (usually just in church)

Back