I have Ideas No experience.. Help!

Hey Indie talk members!

I am interested in making short films and documentaries.. I am starting fresh.. I am looking to start at home without attending workshops or a school just yet.. I would like to get my hands a little wet first.. Could anyone tell me what kind of camera I should start with.. (nothing to expensive, the raw look is great for the ideas i have at this time) video camera? what should i look for in a good one? Or Home editing programs? (software that already most likely exists on many computers or that I should buy).. any information or guidance would be great!! I will scroll through the forums and posts.. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

PeaCe
PurpleSoulFilms - SuNn

This topic is covered quite a bit, so don't be afraid to search the forums and glean a lot of information that way. I do that all the time.

If you're just looking to get your feet wet and want to simply practice, then get one of those cheap Flip cameras that hook right into your computer. They probably come with editing software of some kind. As an exercise, come up with a simple story (man leaves house and enters car, or paperboy delivers the news and runs into dog), figure out what shots you need to tell this story, take the shots and edit a movie. Then expand, then expand again. Start small and teach yourself some rudiments.

To make something a little more professional that you'd be able to show others or maybe enter in festivals, you'll need a little bit nicer camera that allows for an external microphone and lets you manually set the white balance. And you'll probably want a little better editing software. I started editing on the consumer version of Sony's Vegas (probably can be had for about eighty bucks or less).

"The best thing an aspiring filmmaker can do is get hold of a camera and make a movie of any kind." -Stanley Kubrick

"My dream is that some day some fat girl will grab her father's camcorder and become the next Mozart of filmmaking." -Francis Ford Coppola

Good luck!

Thanks Uranium

Thanks alot!!.. Thats a great idea.. I've been looking around the site as well.. I'll start there with a cheap camera for now, should help me understand the basics of editing at this point.. And then Later just upgrade my camera for better quality video.. I'll check out the software you suggested.. I want to start small and build but would like to start in the middle (price and quality) when it comes to purchasing a camera and software.. I'll use a camera I have for now, Will the editing software you mentioned be good for when I purchase a better camera??

Okay, I’m going to get pedantic here. You are paraphrasing
Coppola, not quoting him.

And....

Your Kubrick quote is incorrect, too. You seem to have taken the
essence of both quotes and rewritten them.

Sorry Uranium City, misquoting people is a peeve of mine. However,
excellent advice for PurpleSoul.

PurpleSoul, if you can afford a camera with a microphone input,
three CCD’s or CMOS and manual controls for the iris, shutter,
focus and white balance you will be able to use it longer than
something like the “Flip”.

However; I have used the “Flip” and it’s a very nice, cheap
camera. If that’s all you can afford right now - and you actually
use it to make short films and documentaries - then it’s a fine
suggestion.

But you say you already have a camera? If I read the correctly,
then go for it! If you have a PC you already have Movie Maker and
if you have a Mac you have the very powerful (and free) iMovie.

What are you waiting for?

Yeah i just have a consumer level camcorder, and i have some decent clips i made with sony vegas, you can see some of them on my youtube account, the site is under construction right now, so just search dragonice000 and you'll find it. you can hear the bad sound quality i have with my camera, that is without an external mic jack. you can hear the camera running.

Just my two cents, but I would look at purchasing Final Cut Express or Pro sooner rather then later. Final Cut is the standard for editing on, & learning how to use the system as soon as possible will be helpful for you, esp since it can be a bit complicated. I don't know about the other system mentioned, at it may be excellent, but the majority of people I know transitioning into serious projects prefer Final Cut in terms of what it can do. You can always start with something else of course, but that may be setting yourself up for a headache down the road. Final Cut Express can't do everything pro can by any means, but it would get you familiar with the system and it only costs around $200.

Directorik, I should have indicated quotes were approximate; didn't have the source material at my desk and was only trying to get our new friend excited and cracking.

Great Info

Well Directorik,

I figured any one can take a video camera and cut up some things on software that came with the computer but I assumed you needed certain software or a certain camera to really make short films.. Thats why I'm here ha I'm ready.. Thanks for the info.. I may be harrassing you from time to time.. I will also look for those things in the camera I buy.. Do you know anything about the Canon HV20/30 Series or JVC Everio G2HD3?? I saw those in another thread as suggestions for someone also looking for a reasonably priced camera that would last a while..

Di_Pro,
I will definitely check out some of your short films listed below..

And I am looking for a camera to last a little longer than the cheapest thing out there. even if i have to wait a bit to buy it.. I think I'll go with Sony Vegas.. I am anxious to start the idea Uranium had, was great.. Start with a simple idea to get me familiar with the editing process.. So when I do that I'll share with you guys for suggestions.. this will be my absolute first time doing this.. I may be jumping the gun but when you buy a camera with a mic input.. Does that allow the video and audio to record simutaneously?? Or will I have to edit them seperate and sinc them up? or am I way ahead of myself at this point? Once again these are questions i may find answers to arround the site but at least i can check back here for sure... once again thanks for info.. on my way to do more research.. and I am excited Uranium ha

Alright, here are the actual quotes:

"Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the best thing that young filmmakers should do is to get hold of a camera and some film and make a movie of any kind at all." -Kubrick

“For me the great hope is now that 8-millimeter video recorders are coming out, people who normally wouldn’t make movies are going to be making them. And that one day a little fat girl in Ohio is going to be the new Mozart and make a beautiful film with her father’s camcorder. For once the so-called professionalism about movies will be destroyed and it will really become an art form.” -Coppola

PurpleSoul, a camera with a mic input still allows the audio to be recorded simultaneously with the video, it merely allows for better audio. Removing the mic from the body of the camera means that you eliminate the noise the camera makes and record only what you want to hear. You may also record audio to a separate device and sync it up later with the video with your video software. This is how audio was first introduced to film and is still the way professionals do it.

The Canon HV20/30 has many fans on this site, myself included, and would be WAAAAY BETTER than the cheapest things out there.

Thanks Uranium

You really helped me out.. Will be in touch.. I saw that you can link up as friends here , will figure out how to do that.. Keep you in mind.. I'll continue to search the site as well.. Thanks again PeaCe

Hey do you have any films I could watch you tube etc?

I couldn't find Dragons clips, If he sees this...

Well Directorik,

I figured any one can take a video camera and cut up some things on software that came with the computer but I assumed you needed certain software or a certain camera to really make short films.. Thats why I'm here ha I'm ready.. Thanks for the info.. I may be harrassing you from time to time.. I will also look for those things in the camera I buy.. Do you know anything about the Canon HV20/30 Series or JVC Everio G2HD3?? I saw those in another thread as suggestions for someone also looking for a reasonably priced camera that would last a while..
Then you came to the right place.

Anyone can take a high end video camera and top of the
line editing software and still not be able to make a short
film. And anyone can take any video camera and the
cheapest (free) editing software and make an excellent
short film.

Sometimes it just takes a conversation with fellow movie
makers to jump start the process. It's not the equipment,
it's the dedication of the person. I know several people with
amazing equipment and no motivation - they just need that
one more thing and THEN they'll make a movie. You can
make an excellent, entertaining short film with what you
have right now.

So why you are building up yur equipment, I think you should
make several movies with the equipment you have. Learning
how to schedule actors and crew, get locations, tell a story visually,
light well and edit creativally can be done with what you have
right now.

The Canon HV20/30 is an excellent camera. The JVC Everio
GZHD3 doesn't have a mic input - so check out the GZHD7
or the GZHD6.
I may be jumping the gun but when you buy a camera with a mic input.. Does that allow the video and audio to record simutaneously?? Or will I have to edit them seperate and sinc them up? or am I way ahead of myself at this point?
When you attach an external mic to your camera you will still
be recording the audio directly to the tape or HDD - just like
with the attached mic. the advantage is you now have much
better control over the audio. Having the mic close to the actors
so much better than having the mic where the camera is.

Directorik

Hey, Ok... The camera I have is nothing.. I think I may have phrased it to be so much more.. Its just a digital camera that allows unlimited video.. ha soooo I was going to videotape whatever so that I can work with the software until I could buy the canon.. I am really interested in the entire filming process (so until I could get a better camera - i was going to start by buying the software since its cheaper and then the camera).. Also, When i get home I will check my computer and see what editing software came with it.. Just to get your opinion on that for now as well.. I think I'll go with Vegas.. Now the canon-- Do I have to buy a mic seperately if so what kind? I ask alot of questions because looking around the net you find so many different options ..at least this way i can narrow it down save a little time.. And I completely understand what you meant about proper use of equipment no matter the quality.. Agreed..

Aslo, I keep finding HV20 camera's that also says mini .. should i get the mini?

Ok off to search for the cameras and mics..

Whats a good mic to use for the HV 20? Ever heard of Canon-brand DM50 mic or AudioTechnics ATR55 shotgun mic? Once again a good mic somewhere in the middle.. I was told dvinfo.net was a good place to search.. thanks for the info.. This should be the end of my start up questions.. then it'll be on to the next phase..

A digital camera that allows unlimited video is fine. It all
depends on the person using it. Someone with drive, motivation,
dedication and creativity can use that camera to make a short
film. But if you prefer to wait until you have different
equipment, that’s cool.

The ATR55 is a nice mic. Put it on a boom pole to get it very
close to the actors and you will be amazed how much better that
sounds than using the on camera mic.

Directorik

Hey.. Before Talking to you guys I thought I had to wait.. But I see now, I don't have to really.. But I'll be in touch.. I am going to see what I can come up with for now.. And trust me I know all about working with what you have.. Even though I made music with a karoake machine doesn't mean I didn't eventually build a studio haha.. Thanks Alot Directorik.. PeaCe

Final Rundown..

software
Camera
external mic
adapter for mic
and boom pole

thats it to start??

Hey Uranium,

I have many stories to tell, yes.. ha.. I'm used to getting my point across in music so film should be interesting.. I can't wait to show you what i come up with.. After I get started with this I'll then want to know how to copyright etc.. etc.. But now I'm waay too ready to began.. just start ya know.. ?

Back