I got a gig as a PA!

Hey guys and gals (or is it only bird in this "friggin' boys club".. :D )

I got a job as a PA on set for a PROFESSIONAL music video this Sunday! Wahoo!
It's my first time working with a different crew than my high school friends. Very exciting.
I'm hoping to wow the producution with my finess and coffee-fetching skills, so what's the scoop from this lion's den? Any advice?
I know PA's are glorified gophers, but I want to know my limits and boundries.... so I can stretch them.. :redgrin:

Spatula said:
Any advice?
I know PA's are glorified gophers, but I want to know my limits and boundries.
What department do you want to work in? Camera? G&E? You can quickly advance from PA to a 3rd Electric, or 3rd Grip, as those positions are often hired by the department heads, and not production, so network with the crew. If you are interested in production (Producer, Production Manager, etc.) PA is a good place to start. Have fun!

As for pushing the boundries it might be hard since this is your first PA job. Its good just to observe on your first job, see what a professonal shoot is really like. Make friends with whoever you can. At the end of the shoot get everyone's card that you can. Work your ass off so that they call you for another shoot. My first PA job I envisioned myself suggesting set ups and shots but as soon as you get there you may quickly find that wont usually happen. I was no match for the fast talking DP, producer or director, but maybe your shoot will be different. Have fun and learn a lot!

Have a great time, and whatever you do... don't
smiley_panic.gif

Pen & pocket notepad.

It's funny, cause I knew the sister of the guy who's directing the gig... and he's never directed anything before... he just met some musician and decided he wanted to direct his music video... Someone knew a production company, and BAM, he's an "up and coming director". It's crazy how this system works. I wish I knew people... well... he did say he owed me a favor for me doing this for free... :cool:

Thanks for the advice/support gang! I'll be sure to apply it! :yes: :no: .......... :yes:

Congrats, a credit for the resume is great. But more than that use it as a time to observe how everything goes down. Keep a positive attitude, introduce yourself and talk to other crew members if appropriate (avoid talking to talent unless necessary or they talk to you) and offer to do things. Those in charge will see you are ready willing and able and might even promote you if they need to, even on the first shoot! (Its a REAL good time to network too but remember your first priority is to work work work, you grunt!)

UPDATE:

I just got back from the job- 18 hour day, so I'm a LITTLE woozy. I had the best time of my life. I got to do so much, and by the end of it, I felt as if I were part of a CREW, which became a family, even though no one knew each other's names (there were a lot of "hey you"s). I don't know how on one cup of coffee and a muffin I was able to do all the physical labour I endured, but I was ZINGIN'. I learnt a LOT of stuff I didn't know before, including:

-Stands, Gels, Barn Door usage, the importance of backlighting, how an HD camera works, framing and focusing, monitors, communication skills (and how if they are bad everything falls apart) and why doves cry.

I befriended the DOP/Cameraman (Who brought his own lights, which he had a SWEET Dado Lighting kit... Then I impressed the AD somehow and befriended him, leading to the director, who was a brown girl just out of College and she did a fantastic job. There was a recent discussion here recently about female directors, and let me say, this girl was probably the best director I've ever seen, when it comes to motivating actors.

Anyway, in the end the AD invited me to join a shoot of his own, and even play the role of a bartender in his movie. I was thrilled. If the post goes well and the video is half decent, they are going on to do 5 more videos, and I will be offered a paid position of DP... or maybe even more. I ended up being a gaffer most of the time, but it was a great learning experience, and I encourage all of you, YES, all of you, to do it sometime and get the physical and mental excercise.

Which brings me to you, Lux.
If you want to work as a DP, find listings of independant or student films being planned, and ask if you can volunteer as a DP. If you blow thier socks off and impress them, they might call you back as part of the team. Get to know film people, film students, and film cannisters. Once you start talking to them about your desire to be a DP, they might take you on (or know someone who does, being all of the same ilk.

This post is too long. I'm leaving.

Back