I don't get political, but curious as to why

Celebrities insist on instantly losing half their fan base by voting/supporting one side or the other in a mainstream way lol, are they just that bored they need something more than fans and tons of money?

I just don't get it, do PR people not let them know" hey its not a great idea of piss off half your fans?" Do they want to lose their reputation as artists/performers?

Please don't turn this into a political shit-show, was not the purpose of post to start a debate about politics, but I just can't figure out why anyone would go there from their mainstream platform, unless they were running for politics...?

Thanks, just a question I can't seem to figure out lol

Is it a PR stunt...that somehow alienates half the fan base's respect, but gains money or fame somehow for the selected political view?

From a psychological aspect it is just interesting...

Thanks

Last edited:
First of all it's not a 50/50 proposition. You are assuming half of their fans are one political party. You are also assuming they will all abandon them. You are also forgetting they may gain fans because of it, and invigorate current fans. It's a numbers game and they know going in. They want to use their platform. Some care more about the cause, some, PR, some, just shoot their mouths off.

First of all it's not a 50/50 proposition. You are assuming half of their fans are one political party. You are also assuming they will all abandon them. You are also forgetting they may gain fans because of it, and invigorate current fans. It's a numbers game and they know going in. They want to use their platform. Some care more about the cause, some, PR, some, just shoot their mouths off.
So they factor in the overall thought process for the majority of their fans, then run with what will side with their view?

I am thinking about all celebrities that do this, from a numbers/performers perspective etc.

It is just interesting to me, I did guess half their fan base, sorry, that was a bad account for sure. I am sure each celebrity figures out who their fan base is before attempting to alienate or persuade/conform/(however it is seen) the ones that don't share their views.

Last edited:
I think celebrities live in their own little privileged world and can't imagine that everyone doesn't think just like them. That plus, to be safe, they side with the cancel culture. That way, they don't have to worry about being cancelled if they say the wrong thing. Don't you just love when a celebrity accidentally says what's on their mind , and then a few days later they are practically on their knees begging forgiveness from the cancel culture. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I need help. I'm going to take some classes to straighten my mind out. PLEEEEase don't stop coming to my concerts or watching my movies" LOL.

Believe it or not, just a couple of years ago people were allowed to have opinions of their own. Welcome to 1984...

I know the phrase, don't talk Politics or Religion at a party/bar, sorry I just have been so curious and wanted to ask that one question.

It can put a damper on a social situation yeah. I thought you were talking about stars using their powers as platforms.

Maybe the problem isn't with the star, but the fan, because they can't bear the thought of them holding an opposing view. 🤷‍♂️

It can put a damper on a social situation yeah. I thought you were talking about stars using their powers as platforms.
I just don't want to start a political thread, I fucking hate talking politics, I was just curious from a celebrities perspective (why) they would use their platform to abruptly share their views overall, actors, musicians, whoever...to me it's like, nobody was expecting that crap, they just want you to perform as entertainers and they (fans, customers) pay (very well) for them to do just that, not as a random person with political views. IMO once you say anything political, you are just another person with a political view.

I think any service worker would agree, that if they just started going on about politics to customers, they would either be suspended or fired.

Do we (consumers/customers) need speeches from people in the entertainment industry? I just don't see the point personally.

Last edited:
If you want a celebrity's perspective you need to ask a celebrity 🤣

What about when a star shows their true colors, aren't you happy to know so you don't have to listen to them anymore? Or would you rather have enjoyed their entertainment in bliss?

What about when a star shows their true colors, aren't you happy to know so you don't have to listen to them anymore? Or would you rather have enjoyed their entertainment in bliss?
I am not really phased personally, then again, I am not that invested in what a person says, I just see so many that are, and I can't help but wonder why any celebrity would want to even go down that route when they don't have to lol.

If I worked at Denny's and I started talking politics to 2am flapjack ordering drunks or then later to the 9am crowd that is sober, issues would come up from either view I imagine lol Same thought process in my mind for celebrities, my overall question is, why even go there lol

Last edited:
I think some people just have OPINIONS and want to (a) share them, just as I do although that's just to my husband and our cats and (b) possibly influence the debate on topic x a little bit.

I have strong political opinions which I share in other places. I do tend to feel more strongly positive about actors or singers whose opinions I agree with but there are VERY few who I've stopped listening or watching because I disagree with them.

So if they don't lose me - with my very strong opinions - I'm not sure that they lose more than a few percentage points of fandom.

I think it's great for people - famous or not - to have opinions on important issues. I'm happier when I agree with them but accept it when I don't.

Exactly. Especially the part where they feel they can influence a debate or... ELECTION! With hundreds of thousands of fans of course they feel that way. So basically there's your answer as to why.

You ain't influencing nobody from the kitchen at Denny's! 😂
Swedish Chef Cooking GIF

I suppose I would be more inclined to see a movie or a performance that didn't have a political view from the artist, I don't know, haven't really thought about it lol.

I just wouldn't as an entertainer, go out of my way to do so to dissuade income/customers , but like we talked about, the numbers were factored vs opinions etc, and the decisions were made.

Sometimes I imagine that money is so great, who cares anymore if you lose more income from those that don't agree with your view, right? Appears to be the case. So that makes sense...

Last edited:
Whoa there. Movies are voices. Whether you want to hear that voice or not, movies are a form of expression. So is music. Let's not conflate this with the actual arts.

Whoa there. Movies are voices. Whether you want to hear that voice or not, movies are a form of expression. So is music. Let's not conflate this with the actual arts.
Any platform works to express political views if you are a celebrity

Last edited:
Back